Today I shall be Mainly...

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 23 May 2024, 03:04 I shall think of you safeguarding Oldham's democracy by witnessing the council meetings
It's far better than 'drama' on TV. :smile:

I ended up sending an email to one of the councillors who very kindly promptly replied. I was able to tell him more of the person he had eulogised at the meeting. His parting remark was something of an understatement - " and as you say the political scene in Failsworth/Oldham is a bit bonkers at the moment "

Pendle's good too. I've been wondering why, if David Whipp is alleging illegal electoral activity, he does not report it to the Police.

It's all screened live - beats Redeye. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 23 May 2024, 09:53 Pendle's good too. I've been wondering why, if David Whipp is alleging illegal electoral activity, he does not report it to the Police.
Indeed, he did with his allegation of "treating" at a party event of ours for the local elections a couple of years ago. More mischief making than anything else and forgive the pun "a storm in a teacup". No case to answer was the outcome as he had not read the rules. With the current allegation he probably has too much on with BOTS at the moment to pursue any perceived wrongdoing. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, it doesn't take much to beat current terrestrial TV offerings. My reaction is to spend more time on reviewing old series and YouTube, yours is the Councils.... Chacun a son gout.....
Today I shall be in the shed for an hour as usual quietly refining my castings. I suspect this morning it will be the beds for the crankshaft bearings.
Later I probably need to go to the Co-op for milk and butter, that will do for my daily exercise!
Apart from that, keeping warm and a bit of light housework seem to be favourites. I need to do a bit of vacuuming!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one image. I have milled the beds for the crankshaft brasses and refined other aspects of the bed casting. Just one more adjustment needed and that will be done tomorrow, I have spent an hour in the shed. I have had a chip chase..... Now for breakfast and second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its Friday so u3a art followed by lunch out, maybe a bit of work on Jane’s dress later.

It’s still raining and everything in the garden has grown to twice the size, hopefully flowers will arrive next time we have any sun.

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was unexpected! I have just got up after three hours of second sleep! I must have needed it..... I shall go to the Co-op for some milk now......
Weare dry in Barlick Sue after an unexpected light shower earlier..... But it's cold and the CH is still on. This is not summer weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have to say this Stanley, it's not Summer! It won't be summer on the 1st of June either, there is about four weeks to go yet

There's an old saying which covers for this eventuality," Ne'er cast a clout till May is out", which I am sure you know. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'll post this here for sake of continuity. It concerns the unbelievable goings on in Oldham politics, and as such is really off topic. I shan't pursue the matter, but Private Eye should be all over it.

I have seen in the last 24 hours the shenanigans at the Council meeting to get the existing leader to continue as leader, despite Labour losing its majority. That involve two Failsworth Independents abstaining when all thought they would oppose, and I've heard a secret audio tape alleged to be of a meeting when the stitch up was arranged. The meeting was alleged to have been attended by the CEO of the Council !!

Some more detail can be seen in today's post here

This gentleman is an independent Councillor from Shaw, and key player, and is alleged to have been at the secret meeting. Oldham Councillor

Good grief. - Drama? - the only thing missing is Suranne Jones. :smile:

PS The BBC and the Police are on the case. Secret recording
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You seem to have struck a rich seam there David! (I have never heard of Suranne Jones.....)
I shall be in the shed as usual from 06:00 onwards further refining my bed casting. What happens later today depends on whether Susan is visiting, they are back parked up at Edisford bridge in Clitheroe for a while. I will hear from her later.
Later, just realised I need to go veggie shopping today. Perhaps Susan and Mick will be around to help!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started by finishing the milling of the gap between the bearing beds. Then I drilled the holding down lugs on the base and the bed. Next I drilled and tapped for two of the 2BA set screws that fasten the bed to the base. Then I marked the last two with a transfer punch. I shall drill and fit those tomorrow. Now the big job is breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

The sun is out at last, after three days of continuous rain, well it is for today anyway. I shall have to get out in the garden and prune a particularly large shrub that has finished flowering. First its Bacup market.

Suranne Jones played Ann Lister , Stanley. She started in Coronation Street and went on to play a detective in a very successful detective series, the name of which escapes me.

Have a good day all
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Talking of Oldham Council, our friend K… worked for the council for many long years, as assistant Chief Ex, and later business development manager. He has been retired over 15 years, all names with held to protect the innocent 🤣
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Anything with Suranne Jones in is very good and well worth a watch. She can stop a bus with one look 🤣
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Today we are hoping to go to Chipping Steam Fair, it’s on for three days, and today looks by far the best.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 25 May 2024, 02:41 What happens later today depends on whether Susan is visiting, they are back parked up at Edisford bridge in Clitheroe for a while.
Ah, Edisford Bridge, as a child in the early 1950s we often went there in whichever old jalopy my dad was running at the time. Picnic on the bank, play a bit of cricket or footie, paddle in the clear cool waters of the river. Heaven. Sometimes my Uncle George would come too, bringing my cousin Alan, and we'd all picnic and play together. Often, on the way there or back, his jalopy would cough and splutter then stop and my dad (the older brother) would have to sort it for him. In later years my parents `minded' a little Irish girl, Claire, whose parents worked very hard and long hours and we took her with us to the river. She'd not been to a river before and it was delightful to see her paddle at the edge, then sit on a rock and let the minnows tickle her toes. Squeals of delight! She became like one of the family and stayed in contact with my parents ever after, visiting them often after I'd left home. She eventually married an Irish boy and they returned to Ireland and she now has a big family around her. I'm still in touch with her by email and we exchange happy memories such as the one I've related above. Happy days! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

What a lovely memory Tizer. We took one of my grandsons there, he loves water and we had to lure him out with ice cream :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They must be enjoying the river and the weather, haven't heard from them this morning. I'm back home after shopping. Nice to have a sit down and a bit of dinner. Biggest problem was getting to the shops with all the fencing to control BOTS!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Gloria wrote: 25 May 2024, 07:26 She can stop a bus with one look
Love it. . . :smile:
Sue wrote: 25 May 2024, 06:30 the name of which escapes me.
That was Scott and Bailey, filmed around Manchester. The Police Sation was a former Barclays Bank in Bury. The co star was Lesley Sharp who also featured in "Redeye"

I can't help wondering what went on in local government when we didn't have Youtube and Facebook.

I promised to say no more, and I won't - but there is a lot more. If you can stand it - and have a lot of spare time google Raja Miah MBE. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I daren't take up the offer David, I have too much to do!
I shall put my chicken in to roast this morning before going in the shed at 06:00 to do more useful things to my castings. When I surface after second sleep I have to find a swede..... the selection at Chaudrey's was awful so I shall patronise the Co-op. Then I need to vacuum. It's all go and as far as I know Margaret sets off from Australia tomorrow but at the moment neither of my daughters are talking to me. Too busy? Or was it something I said... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job was to drill and tap for the remaining 2BA set screws that hold the bed to the base. I installed them and fastened the bed and base assembly down onto the temporary wooden base. Then I turned to the remaining castings and did the initial fettling and refinement on the steam chest, the steam chest lid and the two castings for the cylinder lids. I haven't started on the cylinder, that's a whole hour on its own. That ate the best part of an hour and so I have stopped for breakfast. The chicken is in the oven, I have been multi-tasking!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

.That was Scott and Bailey, filmed around Manchester. The Police Sation was a former Barclays Bank in Bury. The co star was Lesley Sharp who also featured in "Redeye"…..

Morning

Yes thats it. It was a very good programme worth watching over and over again on repeats. It crops up every so often.

A bit of gardening was done yesterday, my tree peony was pruned right down, as next years flowers will be on this years growth. I planted my cosmos so the greenhouse is now empty, apart from puddles where it has leaked in again. When we come back from France I will give it a good clean. In the afternoon I made great progress with Janes dress so I only have the hem to do today.

Today will also be a domestic one with a bit of cleaning to do, plus a small amount of ironing. I doubt Bob will be very busy at the park as rain is forecast most of the day.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. Yes, I think you're right. Despite it being Spring Bank Holiday tomorrow the weather is nothing like last weeks and I don't think they will have another record to deal with!

We have had a shower already here in Barlick. I shall ignore it and get on with the day. I am browning my chicken at the moment.
I hope you have a good day Sue and get all you want to do done.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual at 06:00 working on my castings. I shall be cooking veggies later,having a visit from Susan and tracking M&M into Manchester at noon. That should occupy me nicely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning's focus was on the steam chest and lid. I was very fortunate in that these are nice castings free of hard shops which can be all to common in small iron castings. I completed the thicknessing of the lid, the other dimensions depend on the steam chest when it is completed. After an hour I was close with the chest, I know where I am starting tomorrow. Now for breakfast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Bank holiday Monday and wet, how unusual🤣.Claire, Adam and Erin are coming for lunch and Adam is going to help Bob get some old chairs out of the loft. They reside next to a little railway line he has up there and has been there since the girls were 9 and 11. Claire suggested they may be worth something now…I think not. We are busy trying to clear the loft, a mammoth task with 50 plus years of stuff in there. When we get to France we have a similar job to do there but in that case it is the old store room where we garage the ride on mowers and Bob has a work bench. We need to clear it before we can put the house on the market which we will be doing in the not too distant future. Bobs illness gave us a shock and its not really viable to keep a second home as we approach 80. It takes time to sell in France.

No other plans today except to print off a couple of letters to Art departments to try to get a new art tutor for my Thursday art class, and I want to wrap up Janes finished dress ready for posting.

Have a good day all

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”