Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I've wondered about the house in France for a while. I know you enjoy the contacts there but I think you'll find it a benefit to not have the house to worry about.
I am having a cooking and family day with two daughters converging on me! Wednesday could be quite significant with a span of 4 generations eating chips in Town Square..... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We always planned to sell before we were 80. Its 20 years this July since we saw it and finalised in the October, we have had a great 20 years but yes it comes with problems keeping it on. No rush yet but plans are in motion. First finish titivating the decoration and clearing accumulated rubbish
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It took over two years for my brother and his wife to sell his first house in France in the Limousine region. They did have one sale that fell through before completing on a second just over a year ago. As they intend to stay in France they bought a plot of land just west of Marseilles and hired a builder to build them a new house. They lived in their camper van for 12 months or so in between visits back to family in the UK. They recently moved into the new build and are sorting snagging issues out at the moment.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Flitting is stressful but that sounds even worse Ian! I'm an old barnacle, I'm stuck fast on my rock and really like it!
I shall be in the shed working on my castings at 06:00. Beyond that I have nothing on my social calendar beyond having a quiet day to gather strength for my Wednesday meeting in the Town Square...... I could always mop the kitchen vinyl! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 27 May 2024, 09:47 It took over two years for my brother and his wife to sell his first house in France in the Limousine region.
Morning
I believe the average time for selling is 3 to 5 years around us. When our friend Audrey moved back to the UK it took 5 years. We will not be seeking to make a huge profit just to sell , and accept it will take time. We have had friends who sold in 6 months so its all a bit of a gamble. When we bought our house it had been on the market over two years but I feel it is more saleable now. The french don’t normally want to have to do repairs and decoration, and the property would suite anyone who wants a small holding which seem to be popular now. The big problem is it is a big house , but good for a big family.

Today I have some washing today and start packing for our trip away. This afternoon we are at Christies for the last of the three scans, and we have an appointment to see the Consultant in June. We will have to change the date as we will still be in France. I have no pilates or yoga as we will be at Christies.

Thats it. Have a good day
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Best of luck with the process anyway Sue. As you say you may be lucky and get a quick sale.
No great incentive to do anything outside here today, but Margaret will be visiting this morning.... :biggrin2:

I started by spending almost half an hour on finishing the refinement of the steam chest, matching thbe lid exactly to it and giving both bits the witness marks that orient them in the fitting process. Then I cleaned up the interior of the hole in the target face on the bed that accepts the housing of the piston rod gland. I finished up with the bed and the steam chest OK for the time being and the cylinder ready for working on tomorrow. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

... a great grandad. Matilda Rae, weighing in at 5lb 6oz was born on Sunday :good:
FB_IMG_1716890419576.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Kev, congratulations to you and P, and the mum of course.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Congratulations to all!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Congratulations.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 28 May 2024, 13:17 ... a great grandad. Matilda Rae, weighing in at 5lb 6oz was born on Sunday :good:
FB_IMG_1716890419576.jpg
Congrats
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Thanks everyone, I felt old when I became a grandad. Great grandad is a whole new level :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Congratulations to all the family!
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh Wow 😊 . Welcome to the world Matilda Rae.
Congratulations All Round. Gosh she is tiny.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She may be tiny now but she has all the world to grow in Cathy and she'll soon be an armful!
Neither you or P are actually any older Kev. Best wishes to both of you.....
I shall be in the shed for an hour and then two daughters and two great grandchildren meet me in Town Square for fish and chips.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the day by completing the refinement of the steam chest and then moved into the pillar drill to drill the passage for the 5/32" valve rod and the counterbore for the valve rod gland. Then I put a face mask on and did the first rough fettling of the cylinder casting followed by milling the backside of the casting to give me a good basis for mounting the cylinder to mill the valve face. My first job tomorrow will be to turn a wooden plug for the bore to aid centre finding. But now the job is breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning all

And it looks like another wet one like yesterday. Amazingly S Manchester was dry and several degrees warmer yesterday. It was a quiet morning here, leaving for Christies about 1 as we had a few calls to make on the way. We arrived in time for a coffee before the appointment at 3.15. But then it was a long afternoon, I was still waiting for Bob at 6. 00 pm. At least the roads were quiet when we left. We have an appointment with the Consultant when we get back from France on the 20 th to review the three scans

Today we are packing and driving to wards Coventry after tea. We are staying in a Premier Inn overnight and seeing Julia and family tomorrow. The ferry is tomorrow night.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope the day goes well for you both.... I shall cop out by going back to bed! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 29 May 2024, 06:37 I hope the day goes well for you both.... I shall cop out by going back to bed! :biggrin2:
Isn’t it today you are meeting family for fish n chips in the square
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes and I am back up now looking at a dry day so far. I am expecting to see them in the Square at 11:30......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I will be mainly giving my 50th unit of blood at blood donors this afternoon at West Bradford Village Hall, Grindleton. It's gold badge time. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall have a quieter day today. An hour in the shed followed by second sleep and then the only demand on my time will be frying my sweet potato chips! If the weather is dry a short walk and a sit on traffic duty....... otherwise, a dad nap!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hate woodturning, it's so messy but I had to start the day by making a plug for the cylinder so that centres could be accurately marked as their position is essential for making other measurements. As soon as that was done I cleaned up the wood chips on the lathe and the mill and then set to to measure the depth of cut needed for the valve face and then cutting it to that depth. Next I milled the sides of the face and put the witness mark on for orienting the steam chest and valve face. That will do for today and I can have my breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I hate Rochdale weather, it rained heavily all day yesterday , cold( 11 degrees) with strong winds. We even struggled to pack the car at 6.30 pm as it was torrential rain bouncing off the ground. We were only about 5 miles away when there was no sign of any rain, and obviously little all day and it was 15 degrees. We didn’t see rain again.

We have spent a good night at the Premier Inn at Stoke and will drive to Coventry after breakfast. The girls are on half term so it will be good to see them. After lunch we will go on down to Portsmouth. We should have a couple of hours to visit the outlet centre before driving round to the ferry.

I think its forecast drier and hopefully warmer today. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Sue, I think you're right. The trend for the next week is brighter drier and warmer but not much!
We were lucky yesterday and had good weather for our gathering in the Square. It's raining now and the CH is on. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”