Your Bucket List...

Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Your Bucket List...

Post by Doc »

What are the 10 things you would like to achieve before you kick the bucket.

Mine are:-
1. To sail around the world visiting as many Countries and Cultures as possible
2. Learn to play the guitar (by the way, I'm Tone Deaf)
3. To Climb A Volcano
4. Learn to scuba dive and swim on the Great Barrier Reef
5. Hold a koala bear
6. Visit the seven natural wonders of the world
7. Witness a total solar eclipse
8. Learn to Fish
9. See the Northern and Southern Lights
10. Learn a Foreign Language
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Your Bucket List...

Post by Marilyn »

That is quite a list. I can recommend 4 and 5. Patting dolphins is also fun.

No real bucket list for me, just a deep desire to live as simply, quietly and as uncluttered as possible,with few humans around me. Most of all, I desire my physical and mental health to remain strong for as long as I need them. I could imagine myself living on a windy headland with cliffs on three sides, and a veg patch on the other.
Ain't gonna happen...but one can dream.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

To see all the places that I want to see in Great Britain before I finally kick the bucket.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

All you with free bus passes there is no excuse for not getting out and about just a little bit.

1. To sail around the world visiting as many Countries and Cultures as possible [ Is a freebie trip on the Ferry to Dublin , School Trip to Bologne and a Cheap £2 foot passenger crossing to Calais a suitable achievment ]

2. Learn to play the guitar (by the way, I'm Tone Deaf) [ So am I but I can do G, E , D7, C , F and A/B chords which are fairly good at doing a mix of Status Quo and Eastern European tunes, I was taught in a day , but I still cannot do the twiddly bits for the middle 8 ]

3. To Climb A Volcano [ Walked the Royal Mile in Edinburgh , thought I think the Volcano is well extinct by now ]

4. Learn to scuba dive and swim on the Great Barrier Reef [ About half of the people I have worked with have done / taught scuba diving , one was from Oz. I think there are local scuba tank places to learn in ,normally on industrial estates - look on yell ]

5. Hold a koala bear [ Any at Chester Zoo ? , look up the treatment in Australia of Koalas and their habitat , its very distressing according to a report I heard on Radio 4 back in the summer, I have acquired a toy Plush Koala, if I remember to bring it up to Barnoldswick (actually I should be sending up relief supplies from southern climate later this week it should fit in the parcel you can pop round and have it ) , if you want it, gratis, PM and let me know ]

6. Visit the seven natural wonders of the world

7. Witness a total solar eclipse [ I sort of was around in Penzance at the last eclipse total(ish) visible in UK , damp and cloud conditions made it less spectactular , though the street lights came on , the birds sang an evening chorus , then went queit quiet as the temperature dropped.

8. Learn to Fish [ I caught a few trout in my young days , but gave up as I thought both cruel to fish and considered marine life too endangered ]

9. See the Northern and Southern Lights [ Weren't the Northern Lights visible in Barnoldswick earlier in the year due to active sun corona activity ? ]

10. Learn a Foreign Language [ Unless one has dual language skills from a young age can the required level of competance in something other than english ever be achieved starting after age 12 ? ]
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doc, don't forget you are taking a steam engine to Fremantle....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Couldn't agree more with what sunray above says, though I'd extend it to the British Isles. Still haven't managed to get north of the Central Belt in Scotland and the only place I've been in the Irish Republic is Dublin. I visited the North of Ireland earlier this year for the first time and I can quite honestly say it was one of the best holidays I have ever had and a wonderful place. So in no particular order:

1. Eat oysters in Galway
2. Walk in the Cairngorms
3. Walk the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path
4. Visit Bath and Bristol
5. See Loch Ness
6. Walk the walls of Derry City
7. Visit the ancient towns of Essex and Suffolk
8. Canoe down the River Wye and explore the Forest of Dean
9. Visit the Giant's Causeway
10.Go to Iona

And one. See all the many, many parts of London I never saw when I lived there for 12 years

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Richard, I've never been to Ireland but have covered most of Scotland. Best holiday I ever had was when Mary and I hired a very roomy and well-equipped mobile home at enormous cost and spent a fortnight travelling right round the coast from Inverness to Ardnamurchan visiting every lighthouse. It was November and the road was closed so we had to by-pass Cape Wrath but otherwise we followed the nearest road to the coast all the way taking diversions whenever there was a remote coastal village. I'd recommend it to you for your bucket list. I'd spent a lot of time up there when I was on the tramp but found places I'd never seen. Despite the cost of the hire it was a cheap holiday because we only spent money on food and fuel. The ultimate self-catering holiday. One funny for you, a friend asked me why we were going counter-clockwise and I said that the dining table was on the off-side of the van so that wherever we stopped for a cup of tea we had a sea view without turning the vehicle round!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

I have travelled to Australia and nursed the Koala it was only a baby one named Toohey (after the beer) and they sat it on a soft koala toy supposed to give it comfort so it doesn't widdle all over you. They really are cute though. Also seen a great deal of Europe including the Greek Islands, Morocco, Turkey, South Africa, Israel (the holyland), Egypt (one of the 7 wonders the Pyramids & Spinx I think), Cyprus and Singapore but as yet have not been west so maybe that would be on my wish list. What are the 7 wonders of the world. The hanging gardens of babylon are no longer about are they?

I went over the barrier reef last night with our neighbours son who is 18 and travelling round Australia and has put his pictures on facebook it looks facinating. He's going to Magnetic Island next. He learned to scuba dive whilst he's been there. What's remarkable about this young man is he has a damaged arm and shoulder which has very little use, it was caused at birth but he has got over the difficulties and achieved so much. I worked as a book keeper for a diving company couldn't hack the demand valve and mask over my face.

I never achieved learning a musical instrument but got pleasure out of the eldest grandchild who played piano, keyboard and guitar and I instigated his first lessons when he was just under 6. He's now at uni studying bio chemistry but continues to play for his own pleasure. Can read music but also play by ear.

Dave my other half is a fisherman, he fishes at the zoo lake when in Brittany caught some wacking great carp but always throws them back (this is not a fishermans tale I've seen them)

I learnt to speak Greek in night school in my late 30's, was quite competent at it too when I was spending a lot of time there, still remember quite a bit but not much use to me in Brittany.

Go for it Doc I have enjoyed my life so far, made some mistakes but hey ho who hasn't. Before I depart this world I just want to be happy and healthy and see the grandchildren achieve their ambitions. What more can one ask for. Eileen
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Go on a Caribbean cruise (or any cruise - hubby does not fancy it)
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did you notice that the Jack Nicholson film, 'The Bucket List' was shown on TV last night?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”