Lambert Family unknown people on photos.

Barlicker

Lambert Family unknown people on photos.

Post by Barlicker »

Hello,
I am trying to identify people from old photos that I have.
I know my Grandad James Lambert on some that I have,but require help naming the others.
Many thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Lambert Family unknown people on photos.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for posting these Sarah, no problem recognising your Granddad, (my Uncle Jim), but none of the others instantly jump out at me. None are siblings as far as I can see. I have various photos of his brothers and sisters so know them fairly well. I will have a look in my genealogy collection though and see if we have any matches.
Ian
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for looking,I shall put a few more on.
Cheers
Sarah
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The colour photo looks like it may have been taken in the late 60's or early 70's. I will mention this thread to Gus (Angus on the site) he has a good memory for faces and may remember those two with Jim. The first photo is obviously from the First World War era, your Granddad was only four years old in 1914 so it is not one of his contemporaries, but maybe an uncle or older cousin. There is no Lambert family resemblance with the others in the photo's so I am thinking that some may be from your Grandma Nanc'y side of the family. Do you know if Nancy had a brother? Could the group photo be Nancy's parents maybe? the young gent in the photo is wearing some kind of medallion, it does not look like a service medal but could have some bearing. It looks like it could have been taken around the time of the First War. Jim's mate on the fourth photo is wearing high waist trousers and the photo looks as if it could be taken in the mid 1950's. Anyone recognise the steps, Turf Moor? We think we have a copy of the last photo, I will try and dig it out and see if ours has any notation on it.

Robert (Bob), James (Jim) and my dad John are like peas from the same pod and I think get their distinguishing features from their mother Sarah Jane, it is like looking at a younger version of my dad when I look at these. Jim's other brother William (Bill) did not have the same features, and looked more like his dad John Willie, your Great Granddad, (there are a some good stories about John Wille), he led a very colourful life before he settled down with Sara Jane. I have the Lambert tree back to "John of Marsett", sometime around 1720 - 30. I need to get into parish records again to get back further.

Please do post more when you can.
Ian
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

Hello, more photos for you to look at.
Is one of them of your parents as it says Johnny and Mary on the back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

Some more.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

At last some that I can put a name to. Starting from the top a couple of posts back. That is my mum and dad John and Mary on their wedding day at Ghyll Church.

The next one down is interesting, the oldest in the photo looks more like Jim's brother Bob. It could be one of his daughters weddings either Margaret or Dorothy I think it may be Margaret's wedding to Abie. The leftmost bridesmaid at the back next to the sailor looks like Peggy, she was Jim's older sister Mary's daughter. The young bridesmaid looks like my sister Jennifer, she looks about 12 in the photo so that would date it around 1956. I will give her a ring and ask who she was bridesmaid for that should confirm.

The Southport group are unknown apart from Jim (nice hat).

Now the next one, I seem to recognise that group but I think it belongs to another branch of the family, my half cousin Anne who we became acquainted with at my Auntie Pauline's funeral. Anne is Peggy's daughter (mentioned above) so I will email her and ask her to have a look at these as well. She has researched that branch of the family extensively and may well be able to shed some light on some of these.

The Blackpool ensemble is unknown, it looks like it has been taken in a seafront studio, maybe on a wakes week trip or something.

Next post:

This is another one that is familiar this could be Bob's other daughter Dorothy's wedding but I'm not sure.

The next one looks like club trip or something, don't recognise anyone other than Jim (bit before my time).

The last one is easy, this is Jim's younger brother Bill's wedding to Pauline.

My Dad and brother Bill were at school at the same time, when they were lads Bill was a right bruiser and always looking for a fight. My dad said he would often pick a fight with a bunch of lads during the day and arrange to take them on outside the gates after school. He always used to pitch the fight knowing that my dad would help him out, he used to come to him at dinnertime and say "Were scrapping tonight" fully expecting backup for his bravado. After a few sessions of this my dad got sick of being pulled into punch up's not of his making and decided to teach him a lesson so he didn't turn up one night when he had challenged about 4 or 5 other lads to a scrap. He got a proper pasting but never did it again, lesson learned!

Can you see what I mean about Bill's looks he does not look like Bob, Jim and my Dad and to some degree Lizzie Bell they all get their features from their mum, Sarah Jane. Oldest sibling Mary and Bill look more like their dad John Willie. Have you any of John Willie? I can post one of him on the step at George Street with your Uncle Johnny when he was a little lad, unless you already have that one.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here are a few from me:

First one is your Great Granddad John William Lambert, sat on the step at the family home 3, George Street in Barlick. The small boy is his grandson your Uncle Johnny this was in 1935.

The next one is John Willie with his dog Sammy, my dad carried a picture of Sammy with him whilst he was in the army throughout WWII.

The last one is Jim's younger sister Lizzie Belle in the weaving shed (on the left) not sure which mill but it would be one of the sheds in Barlick. Picture is sometime in the early 1930's Lizzie was born in 1911 and she looks to be in her early 20's here.

I will give our Jen a ring and drop Anne an email and see if we can get a bit further with some of your photo's.
Ian
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

Hi Ian,
Thanks
For all the great info,I do have a picture of Grandad John William with my Uncle John,but did not know who they were until your post. So that is fantastic.
I will be writing the info on the back of them as we go along.
Many thanks
Sarah
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hopefully more to come Sarah, I have emailed Anne but not heard back from her yet. I have forwarded her a link to this thread so she may well put some comments on in due course. Some of my comments are tentative yet so I would hold back on notation for a while if I have indicated that I'm not sure. Another opinion is always welcome.
Ian
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

Some more.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The first group wedding is Margaret & Abie, I am the older bridesmaid on the left, Dorothy is the bridesmaid on the right. It is the first time I have seen this photo, I never got a copy. The second group is Dorothy's wedding to Jack O' Connor Margaet is the bridesmaid on the right.
Margaret was only 16, Abie was in the RAF and they lived in married quarters on camp at Newark. She was as blind as a bat without her glasses but would not wear them on her wedding day. We share the same birthday 10.2.1938.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Fantastic Moh, of course these are my older cousins so apart from guessing you as my cousin Peggy I had it right. I didn't know Margaret was married so young. So that would put her wedding sometime around the summer of 1954? In which case if that is my sister Jennifer she would be 10 years old. You are a little older than her but did you know her at the time? Providing that is Jenny of course. Amazing how people paths interweave, nearly 60 years down the line as well. I have more information now for my tree program into the bargain!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

OG working at its best. Lovely to see you all helping each other and getting some answers.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have not commented on Sarah's latest pictures yet. I have been thinking about the first one. Edmund in uniform in 1940. If it's Winnies writing it would have to be Nancy's brother. Did she have any siblings? Does your mums notes shed any light on this? He looks to be in his early 20's.

Don't know number two. Don't know the girl in number three. Jim, Nancy and Lester OK.

You are right on Sarah Jane, I have this one in my tree along with others. See where the Lambert features come from.

Good photo of Jim and Nancy's wedding. Cant see any other relatives that I know in there. The gent at the back is probably Jim's best man. Good that you have one of the bridesmaids.

Now, what about Moh's contribution, small world. Confirms my initial thoughts though, apart from miss-identification of her!
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

No Ian, the only people I knew were Margaret, Dorothy, Bob & Abie. I think the sailor was Abie's brother. Margaret & Abie met at Blackpool, he was staioned near there at the time. They got divorced and last time I saw her she was with Derrick Askham, (I used to sing with him up the Greystones at Blacko). Dorothy & Jack got divorced and she married Bev. Madill from Earby.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Interesting stuff and thanks for that Moh. I will expand that side of my cousins in the tree program. As both girls are a lot older than me I only new them through working in the office at uncle Bobs. Abie used to drive the wagon. My dad was a partner in the firm and worked until retirement in the business. I was less than a year old at the time that photo was taken but I'm fairly sure that's our lass in front of you. I'll give her a ring this weekend to confirm, if she has a mobile signal, (she's somewhere down south on her boat).
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I think Jack O'Connor worked there too - an eye on the business??
My parents made great friends with Bob & Elizabeth after meeting them at Margaret's wedding. They used to go old time & modern sequence dancing most weeks, and went on holidays in Bob's caravan. Unfortunately the friendship died when mum was admitted to Raikeswood Hospital in Skipton in 1970 suffering from multiple sclerosis (she was in there 20 years). Bob & Elizabeth went once then Elizabeth said she could not stand to see my mum bedbound in there and they never went again.. This really hurt both my mum & dad and they never saw or heard from them again. They did not even go to see her when Bob was admitted there before he died.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nowt as queer as folk Moh. Some people attitude when faced with illness in themselves or others is hard to comprehend sometimes. My uncle Bob and Lizzie never really mixed with my mum and dad even though dad had shares in the business. As they were a little older I think they moved in different circles Bob was in the Masons and my dad wad totally committed to the Royal British Legion and SSAFA having done his 6 years in the Army through the war. My mum was invoIved with the Women's Section as well. I think Bob missed service because of his age, not sure. My dad and his brother Bill who were the two youngest lads in the family did the service in the war.
Bob had a falling out do with his younger brother Bill before the war over a silly thing like the loan of a suit. The rift that this caused ensured that they never spoke to one another again which I find very difficult to comprehend. The rift was still in place nearly 40 years later as I was to find out.

When Sally and I got married in 1976 we sent out invites to all the Aunties and Uncles on both sides. Both Bob and Bill rang me up a week before the wedding to ask about wedding presents and to enquire if I knew whether the other was attending. We had not received RSVP's from either so I asked each in turn if they would be coming, both said they would try to. In the event, they both supplied the wedding presents we asked for on our list but sent their wives to the wedding with the cards. I have lovely off the cuff photo of Sarah's Granddad, my Uncle Jim munching lettuce at our reception. One of Sally's Uncle Bill with his handle bar moustache and RAF Blazer from his days as a pilot during the war. He provided the impromptu music on the upright piano he found in the corner of the room. All the auties and uncles gathered round for a good sing song. It would have been nice to have my Uncle Bill and Bob there as well but it didn't happen. Nowt as queer as folk!
Ian
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

Thanks for all the great info,it is lovely to get the stories and names behind the photos,I will try and make some sense of my Mums crude family tree efforts and give you the info Ian.
From what I can make out so far it looks like my Grandma Nancy may have been an only child,anyway I will either type it up on here or just scan it.
This my seem a silly question Moh,but are you a relative of Ian and I?
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

No, I met Margaret on our first day at Skipton Girls' High School and we became good friends, we lost touch when our children were small.
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

I have just remembered a cousin Margaret from Colne, that used to come and visit, and send postcards to my Mum Winnie.
She lived in Colne at the time and may still be there,so would that be the Margaret above at her first wedding?
I would not have recognised her from that photo.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Probably Sarah you have to remember the photo was of Margaret when she was 16 in 1954 so no doubt she would have changed somewhat. My half cousin Anne rang us today and is going to look at the photo's to see if she can help. She says she will email me when she has looked.
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

No Margaret did not live in Colne, it must be another one.
Barlicker

Post by Barlicker »

Oh, maybe I got mixed up with my places as I only got took to her house once when I was younger,where was it she lived at?
When I went with my Mum,they had someones Mother living downstairs,don't know if it was her or the Husbands Mother.
Or like you say could be someone different.

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”