Springs

rossylass
Regular User

Springs

Post by rossylass »

My great, great, great grandfather, Richard Pickles, was documented as living in Springs at the begining of the 19th century. Can anyone tell me the extent of that area and a potted version of it's history?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Springs

Post by Wendyf »

Have you seen this archaeological survey done for Springs Farm Barn? There are some lovely photos.
click here
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Thank you Wendy. It is very interesting. Stanley said that there was a cottage with the farmhouse - is that on the photo? Is Springs confined to that very small area, or does it extend along Esp Lane....or anywhere else?

I am trying to get a general idea of how and where my ancestors lived and trying to figure out why they moved to Roughlee, & why, sometime between 1841 & 1851, my gg grandfather, James Pickles, took to the road, earning his living as an itinerant musician. His brother Stephen was also a musician (he played the violin) & he and another brother, Henry, were the proprietors of portable theatres and travelled the north west, Yorkshire and even Staffordshire. After 1850 Stephen & Henry are well documented in the press of the day.

Someone may have some information about Stephen Pickles. He died in Burnley Workhouse in 1901 and his death certificate shows that he had been a street musician in Barrowford. The cause of death was senile decay. I am hopeful that I may find some mention of him in the local press, but no luck so far. Unfortunately there are no records of admissions to the workhouse, so that is a blind alley.

Henry Pickles mainly travelled in Lancshire and had a more permanent theatre (well, a wooden shed of one) in Burnley.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sounds like you have some interesting ancestors! Looking at the pictures in that report, there could have been a row of three cottages at least making up the farm. Sorry I cant tell you any more about the area, but I would imagine that Springs just refers to the farm.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Here is one of the pictures from the report, (hope nobody minds that I have pinched it). It clearly shows that the building is made up of a number of cottages.

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Whom else was living in Springs at the same time ? Could it have been a winter base for travelling entertainers ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

SPRINGS FARM INDEX ENTRIES 18/08/12

Springs Farm is on Esp lane, Barnoldswick. Ordnance Reference SD867463.
There are many references to Springs dam in the Calf Hall Shed Company minute books because the dam, first built as it is today by William Bracewell to regulate the water flow to his Butts Mill, was used for the same reasons by the CHSC.

5/- Land Tax for Springs paid by John Smith. 1770, John Smith paid 3/9. 1797 John Ashworth pays LT.
1798 onwards
Doreen Crowther notes that Elizabeth, daughter of James Grimshaw of Beanfield Barrowford and Mary Ashworth 1798-1839) was born 19/03/1834, baptised 10/07/1836, died Oct 18th 1914. She married Thomas Bracewell her cousin. Living at Beanfield in 1879 but had moved to Thorneyclough by 1880. Brought up the children of Thomas Grimshaw of Crowtrees Barrowford on the death of his wife Francis. Thomas Grimshaw died 12/08/1888. It looks as though Frances died in childbirth of Mary. (There is a connection somewhere here with Thomas Bracewell of Springs in 1899 and I think Edward Bracewell of the Barnoldswick Room and Power Company (Bankfield Shed) was his son but I haven't got a precise link.)
1837,1841 electoral roll
Given as the address of Ellis Nutter.
1848 ER
Address of John Nutter.
First attempts by Billycock to divert water from Dark Hill down to Springs to improve the water resource.
1859 ER
Given as address of Ellis Ashworth.
1851 census
Springs given as the address of John Nutter, 78, unmarried and proprietor of land and houses. Living with him is John Ashworth, brother in law, 56, farmer of 21 acres and son Ellis Ashworth, 33 unmarried. Mary Ashworth, unmarried, 31. Elizabeth Ashworth, unmarried, 28 and Alice her daughter 6 years old and a scholar.
Imperial Gazette notes John Ashworth as farmer at Springs. Same entry in WR Directory for 1862.
1871 census
John Ashworth, farmer of 42 acres.
Barrett for 1883 and 1887 note Ellis Ashworth as farmer.
CHSCMB start negotiations for use of Springs Dam on 24 July as it governed the water to their new Calf Hall Shed. Settled with Mr Hartley, solicitor at Colne for £10 per annum rent.
Barrett's directory notes Thomas Cowgill as farmer. (cf. CHSCMB for 1896) (Same directory reports John Cowgill as farmer as well)
CHSCMB record negotiations with Mrs E. A. Coates of Skipton for Springs Dam rent and repairs so she must have been the owner then.
Barrett for 1899 to 1911 notes Thomas Bracewell (b.1857) as farmer. In 1911 Thomas is mentioned as the person who sold East Parrock to the CHSC.
1910. See CHSCMB for 03/08/1910 onwards. Negotiations with Alfred Dewhurst for use of Springs Dam. See 16/06/09 for same subject.
See CHSCMB 29/03/1911 for Dewhurst request for 1/- per annum water right for Springs Farm house to cover all the houses up there as well.
Alfred H Dewhurst mentioned in CHSC minutes as the owner of Springs. Noted in Barrett for 1914)
CHSCMB 14/02/1916. Barnoldswick Angling Club rent fishing rights at Springs Dam for £1 par annum.
Craven Herald 31/01/1930. Report of the golden wedding of Mr and Mrs Edward Bracewell of Burnlea Terrace Barnoldswick. Edward was son of William Bracewell of Springs Farm (this is William Bracewell of Coates, cousin to Billycock) and was born there in 1860. He used to help milk his father's cows before going to work at Clough Mill.
Craven Herald 18/07/1930. Report of the death of Alfred H Dewhurst (61) at Springfield House Barnoldswick. He was born in Colne but came to Barlick as a boy and was a manufacturer in Wellhouse Mill. At his death he owned Springs Farm.
LTP 78/AC/02 page 9. Ernie Roberts mentions a man called Jim Barrett, a bricklayer, living at Springs Farm.
LTP 82/HD/05 page 2. Harold Duxbury talks about Springs Dam and Dark Hill Well. At that time Roddy Hemingway farmed Springs.
LTP 84/SP/01. Stephen Pickles said that Henry Banks, one of the CHSC direc tors lived at Springs and had ducks on his lake.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Thank you for the replies.

No mention of any Pickles' in Stanley's post, but they may have occupied a cottage rather than the farm. All I can say is that baptismal records from Bridge St Chapel from the begining of the 19th century, have recorded "of Springs" next to Richard Pickles' name. Whether he was a tenant, or lived with another family, or what, I don't know. I do know that he was a weaver and that he moved to Roughlee before 1841. He probably died in Roughlee.....I may send for his death certificate. As far as I know Richard was not an entertainer, but the fact that two of his sons became professional musicians may suggest that there was music in the home.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

If you notice in Stanley's Springs information , the main info only gets started in around 1834ish , so like many places with a lack of documentation from 1798 to 1833 there is no clear detail of whom is where and why. Further research might be needed from other record documents.
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Thank you Whyperion. I did notice and I suppose that I could do some detective work, but a)I would not know where to begin and b) my interest really lies with three of Richard Pickles' sons & their progeny. However, if the information had fallen into my lap I would have been really pleased! There is such a wealth of knowledge on this website.

I do feel an affinity with Barlick & I am fairly confident that Springs figures in my family's history. I am going to take a look at the area to see if I get any vibrations!
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I think if you have a Lancashire Council library card that gives you (free) access to quite a few sources which could help both your family research and further information on Springs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rossy, have a look at the Pickles Index. It might have some clues... (LINK)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

I checked the baptism records for Bridge Chapel and found that Springs was given as my gggf's residence in 1806 - when my ggf was baptised. For subsequent children the address was just listed as Barnoldswick, apart from the last child baptised there in 1821, when no place of residence is recorded. Richard Pickles moved to Roughlee about 1824.

I walked from Town Head to Springs the other evening & was blown away by the beauty of the area.
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Does anyone have any idea which road you would have travelled from Barnoldswick / Springs to Blacko Foot in 1824? Have looked at the OS Map & tried the internet to no avail. :confused:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

What mode of transport? Horse (with or without carriage or cart) or on foot. There is no natural direct route without striking out over the moor which would be the shortest way on foot or horse possibly using part of Coal Pit Lane. Next would probably be via Lister Well (Occupation Road) or the longest via Higher Lane (the top road out of Barlick) which goes round the moor rather than across it.
Ian
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Should have explained that this relates to a family who moved from Barnoldswick to Blacko Foot Farm. I don't know which mode of transport they would have used. Never mind....it is a bit of a long shot.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They would probably have enlisted the services of a local carrier to move furniture and belongings. Trade routes over to Colne and Burnley were well established and a trip to Blacko would not be out of the ordinary over the top road.
Ian
elise

Post by elise »

Baines's Directory and Gazetteer Directory of 1822 for Barnoldswick

Carriers:-
Slater Henry, to Burnley on Mon. & Thu. dep. 6 mg. To Colne on Wed. dep. 6 mg. to Gisburn on Fri. d. 10 mg.
Slater Thomas, to Skipton Tu. Thu. & Sat. dep. 7 mg. to Burnley, Mon. dep. 7 mg. to Colne on Wed. dep. 7 mg.

Return to “Local History Topics”