Will of William Parkinson Atkinson

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Will of William Parkinson Atkinson

Post by Stanley »

Will of William Parkinson Atkinson: THIS IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me William Parkinson Atkinson of 36 Skipton Road Barnoldswick in the County of York Retired Tailor I hereby revoke all former wills and testamentary dispositions  heretofore made by me and declare this to be my last will and testament I appoint my two sons Joseph Percy Atkinson and Alban Atkinson to be the EXECUTORS and TRUSTEES  of this my will I give to my said son Joseph Percy Atkinson my Piano and to my said son Alban Atkinson my Bookcase I also give and bequeath to my said son Joseph Percy Atkinson and my daughter Ann Atkinson all my household furniture and effects and my jewellery in equal shares absolutely the division there of (in case of dispute) to be left to the discretion of my Trustees. I give to my said daughter Ann Atkinson Two hundred and fifty one shares and to my sons Fred Broughton Atkinson the said Alban Atkinson and Joseph Percy Atkinson Fifty shares each in William Atkinson and Sons (Barnoldswick) Limited absolutely. I give devise and bequeath all the rest residue and remainder of my real and personal estate to my Trustees Upon trust after payment thereout of my funeral and testamentary expenses and debts to divide the balance thereof as follows:- One half thereof to my said daughter Ann Atkinson absolutely and the remaining half thereof between my sons Fred Broughton Atkinson and Carr Atkinson absolutely. IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand to this my last will and testament the fifteenth day of August  One thousand nine hundred  and twenty four – WILLIAM P ATKINSON – signed and acknowledged by the above named Testator William Parkinson Atkinson as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses:- W. O. K. MASON Clerk to J E Newell Solicitor Barnoldswick – JAMES ELLIS  JUDGE 46 Otley Street Skipton Accountants Clerk – Proved 8th June 1927.

Children of William Parkinson Atkinson (1840-17 Apr 1927) & Margaret Ellen Shackleton (1844-1922) married 29 Sep 1862, parish church Barnoldswick:

William Atkinson b c1864
Edgar  Atkinson b c1867
Ann Atkinson b c1870 (still unmarried at father's death)
Alban Atkinson b 21 Mar 1871
Carr Atkinson b 1873
Thomas Shackleton Atkinson b 1875
Fred Broughton Atkinson  b 1880
Joseph Percy Atkinson b c1885

(This information courtesy of Jill Harwood- Researching the Atkinson, Abbott & Broughton families in Barlick and beyond.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Kathleen

Re: Will of William Parkinson Atkinson

Post by Kathleen »

I was most interested to find the will of Wm. P. Atkinson. William Parkinson Atkinson was the brother of my gt. grandmother Mary Atkinson whose parents were Thomas Atkinson and Ann Broughton. I would be interested to hear more about the family.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to the site Kathleen.
LizG

Post by LizG »

Kathleen wrote:I was most interested to find the will of Wm. P. Atkinson. William Parkinson Atkinson was the brother of my gt. grandmother Mary Atkinson whose parents were Thomas Atkinson and Ann Broughton. I would be interested to hear more about the family.
Hi Kathleen,

I did a quick look up of the family. I only included the family members you mentioed. There are many more as you can imagine. Here's a snapshot. Are the Windle's the right family?
Generation 1

1. THOMAS ATKINSON . He married Ann Broughton on 16 Mar 1829 in d. She was born on 29 Sep 1799. She died in Jun 1857 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England.

Thomas Atkinson and Ann Broughton had the following children:

i. WILLIAM PARKINSON ATKINSON was born in Aug 1840 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England. He died on 17 Apr 1927 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England. He married Margaret Ellen Shackleton on 29 Sep 1862 in St Mary le Gill, Barnoldswick, Lancashire, UK. She was born in Mar 1845 in Gargrave, Yorkshire, England. She died on 15 May 1922.

ii. MARY ATKINSON was born in 1837 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England. She died in 1912 in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England. She married William Windle in 1856 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England, St Mary le Gill. He was born about 1837.

Generation 2

2. WILLIAM PARKINSON ATKINSON (Thomas1) was born in Aug 1840 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England. He died on 17 Apr 1927 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England. He married Margaret Ellen Shackleton on 29 Sep 1862 in St Mary le Gill, Barnoldswick, Lancashire, UK. She was born in Mar 1845 in Gargrave, Yorkshire, England. She died on 15 May 1922.

3. MARY ATKINSON (Thomas1) was born in 1837 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England. She died in 1912 in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England. She married William Windle in 1856 in Barnoldswick, Lancashire, England, St Mary le Gill. He was born about 1837.

William Windle and Mary Atkinson had the following children:

i. JOHN THOMAS WINDLE was born in 1858. He died in 1899.
ii. MARY WINDLE was born in 1860.
iii. ANN WINDLE was born in 1861.
iv. ADA WINDLE was born in 1862.
v. ELLEN WINDLE was born in 1865.
vi. ELIZABETH WINDLE was born in 1868.
vii. HARRY WINDLE was born in 1869.
viii. AGNES GERTRUDE WINDLE was born in 1871. She died in 1951.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The will was given to me by the same site member that asked me to transcribe Atkinson's 'Old Barlick' and publish it as a book on Lulu. (It's in Rare texts as well). I think it was one of the sies but can't remember exactly who. If they pick up this thread they will be able to fill you in.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Jill Harwood

Post by Jill Harwood »

Hello Kathleen, I'm the member Stanley referred to, my 3x great grandmother Rachel was WP Atkinson's older sister.

Sadly, my dad has just died so I'm not able to enter into any great detail until after we've had the funeral and I can think straight, so much to do & organise.

He wasn't a Barlick lad (though his granny was) but was born in Nelson, perhaps I ought to put an obit for him somewhere on here.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry to hear about your dad Jill. With reference to an obituary, we do have a thread for such here:

Obituaries
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jill, nice to see you responding. Sorry I forgot your name.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Jill Harwood

Post by Jill Harwood »

Thanks folks, will pop an obit on shortly.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Thank you Stanley and Jill for your responses to my request. You found the right family and I am delighted to read William P. Atkinsons History of Old Barlick. I knew nothing about either Barlick or the Atkinson family except for the usual B.M.D. and census returns and a photo of Ann Atkinson from grandmother Elizabeth Windle's collection and determined to find her. It is so interesting to find both Mary and her sisters family. Mary married William Windle who was born in Horton in 1835. Does anyone know this William?

Kathleen
LizG

Post by LizG »

Hi Kathleen.

I found a marriage certificate for William Windle and Mary Atkinson (William born 11 Oct 1834 in Horton, died in 1877 in Wortley). Williams father is listed as John Coates. I also found his birth certificate. If you are interested in copies of both send me a PM and I'll send you them.
Last edited by LizG on 26 Apr 2013, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

WINDLE INDEX ENTRIES AS OF 22 November 2007

Earby Grammar School founded by Robert Windle Esq. With an endowment of £20 per annum. Free for teaching boys from the parish of Thornton reading. [Langdale’s gazetteer of 1822]

History of the Baptist Church in Barnoldswick page 46. Christopher Windle is mentioned in connection with a request to John Wilson to come to Barlick as pastor. He never came but went to Rawdon in 1715, the Barlick church declined for five years.

William Windle mentioned as an elector of Barnoldswick in a roll of 1741.

William Windle paid land tax in Barnoldswick. 1753, 6/1. 1756/57, 12/2. 1760, 14/10. 1770, 11/1 ½ .

WINDLE FIELD. THORNTON 1788 Will of John Shackleton of Pasture House. gent Messuages called Stone Edge, Upper Lands or Burnt House and New House. and cottages called New Houses, all in Barrowford, with other specified properties there, to Trustees for daughter Jennet. To daughter Mary, messuage called Fidling Clough in Thornton., co.York; also £1000. Pasture House, Whitticroft and other specified properties in Barrowford and Colne. to trustees for wife Mary- for life, then to daughter Jennet, subject to annuity to mother-in-law Margaret Cowgill. To wife messuage in Thornton called Windle Field, and messuage in Kildwick, co. York, for life, then to daughter Mary. [John Clayton info. August 20051

1841 census
Windles in Earby.
Petty Windle, Pauper, aged 80, born in county
William Windle, cotton weaver, aged 45 born in county
Living in Earby

Richard Windle, weaver, aged 25, born in county
Maria Windle, aged 20, born in county
Elizabeth Windle aged 4, born in county
Abigail Windle, aged 2, born in county
John Windle, aged 6 months, born in county
Living in Earby

Hartley Windle, cotton worsted weaver aged 60 born in county
Petty Windle: aged 55, born in county
Thomas Windle. cotton worsted weaver, aged 20, born in county
Living in Earby

John Windle, cotton worsted weaver aged 35, born in county
Sarah Windle, cotton worsted weaver aged 35, born in county
Ann Windle, aged 5, born in county
Alice Windle, aged 2, born in county
Hartley Windle, aged 1 month born in county
Living in Earby

Thomas Windle, cotton twister, aged 40, born in county
Sarah Windle, cotton weaver aged40, born in county,
Mary Windle, cotton weaver. aged 15, born in county
William Windle. cotton weaver, aged 15. born in county
John Windle, aged 11, born in county
George Windle, aged 9 born in county
Hartley Windle, aged 7, born in county
Sarah Windle, aged 5 born in county.

Info from Avril Slater: WINDLE. JOSEPH. I was interested to read your article on the Slater family, as my husband’s great grandmother was Nancy (Nanny) Slater, born 1849, she married Joseph Windle who became a Cotton manufacturer in Barnoldswick, my records go back to John Slater born about 1765.

1851 census
Windle House mentioned as a 20 acre farm on Jepp Hill. Thomas Slater was resident there.

1851 census
John Windle of Cow Pasture Farm, Barnoldswick. Aged 32, power loom weaver cotton. Wife Alice, 27 hand loom weaver wool. Henry, 7. Margaret, 2. Sarah, 1 year.

1851 census
Joseph Windle. Moor gate. Age 31, farmer of 17 acres. Mary, wife, 29. William, 7. Margaret, 6. Joseph, 4. Alice, 2. Mary, 1 month. John Dean lodger, 40, labourer.

William Windle noted as an elector of Barnoldswick.

1871 census
Joseph Windle, Moor Close Farm, 50 years, farmer. William Windle, 46, overlooker, born in Earby. Living on Newtown.

Walton Windle mentioned as a shareholder of the Calf Hall Shed Company.

1899/1910
Joseph Windle, member of the council.

BUDC rate books report Windle and Bailey as manufacturers in Calf Hall Shed with a rate bill of £77 for the half year. [They left Calf Hall in 1892 and the shed company bought their 184 looms for £800.]

Calf Hall Shed Company minutes: John Windle, millwright, given time and a quarter wage for work on Wellhouse Mill shafting in March. Given 2 week’s notice on May 28th same year.

BUDC rate books. Half year ending 26 March 1894. Windle and Bailey are tenants in Wellhouse Shed with a local Board Rate of £188. [In 1895 they applied to the shed co. for their rent to run in arrears. In 1898 they were asked to start paying the arrears on a monthly basis. Windle owed £975 and Bailey £776. Roughly the same position in 1899.]

Barrett’s Directory reports Windle and Bailey as manufacturers at Wellhouse Mill. Same directory lists Ormerod Windle as overlooker of 22 Rainhall Road.

Barrett for 1896 notes Thomas Windle, Overlooker, Westgate.

Benjamin Windle qualified to act as director of the Calf Hall Shed Company. Same entry in 1901.

c.1900
LTP. 78/AB/05. Billy Brooks talks about tacklers starting their own firms, he mentions Windles as one of these.

c.1900
John Metcalfe, manager for Slater Brothers, mentions that Joe Windle (Pummers) started his career as a manufacturer as a tenant in Clough Mill.

Barrett Directory cites Joseph Windle and Sons as cotton ,manufacturers of Wellhouse Mill. Newton Pickles said that it was called ‘Pummers’ when his mother worked there. [LTP. 78/AG/02]

Barrett notes R S Windle as Registrar of Births and Deaths and Vaccination Officer. Address, Mosley Street, Barlick. In 1912 noted as stock and share broker of Station Chambers in a deal of 1012. Incorporated as an accountant and later became Windle and Bowker of Station Road. In 1913 noted as secretary of the Barnoldswick Room and Power Company (Bankfield Shed) offices in Newtown, Barnoldswick.

Joseph Windle. Member of the Education committee on BUDC. Address given as Park Road and occupation, cotton manufacturer. Barrett for 1902 cites him as a council member.

LTP. 79/AO/01. Jack Platt says his mother worked at ‘Pummers’ at Crow Nest Shed about this time. [Jack may have the shed wrong]

Manchester Exchange Directory has no mention of Windle and Bailey. Cites Joseph Windle and Sons as manufacturers at Wellhouse Mill with 407 looms. Mentioned in Calf Hall minutes as tenants at Wellhouse in 1900/1901. Refused to sign lease on 3/12/1913 saying they were moving into ‘the new shed’ when it was ready. Signed a 7 year lease a fortnight later. Mentioned in Worrall’s directory as tenants at Wellhouse with 401 looms in 1939.

Barrett directory notes that Robert Slater Windle is secretary of the Barnoldswick Tallow Company ltd. Tripe dressers in Butts.

Gunner Robert Windle, 23996, ‘D’ battery, 11th Brigade Royal Field Artillery died 29th November 1918 aged 26. Husband of Jane Windle of 25 Colin Street Barnoldswick. [source, Commonwealth War Dead 1914/18]

Robert Slater Windle appointed an executor (With Jane Atkinson, wife of the deceased) in the will of William Henry Atkinson, March 1918.

Robert Slater Windle of Midland Bank Chambers advertises 200 45” reedspace Pemberton looms manufactured 1915 for lease or sale in Barnoldswick with all utensils. [Craven Herald 01/03/1929] There are various adverts placed by him about this time acting as liquidator for firms in trouble. He was liquidator for H Brown ans Sons in the same year.

Fred Windle assists Johnny Pickles to start new business after H Brown and Sons liquidated in 1929 by lending him a gas engine and welding plant.

CH 18/07/1930. In report of the annual meeting of the Barnsey Shed Company retiring directors T Waite and R S Windle are re-elected.

CH. 27/06/1930. report of the death of Samuel Windle (72) of Bankfield
Terrace. Born in Newtown in 1858. Mr Windle attended the School in Butts and stayed on until he was 13 and then became page boy to Dr Roberts who for many years lived on what is now the site of the Independent Methodist Church. After 18 months he went into service with J T Hopwood at Bracewell Hall as pony boy and then coachman. He removed with Hopwood when they moved to Ketton in Rutland. He remained in service with various families until he got married in 1878 in Northampton when he returned to Barnoldswick and worked with his brother in the mills. About 1880 he went into service again in Kent and in 1898 returned to Barnoldswick and started work at Bankfield in the warehouse, his wife was a winder. He was employed until his death.

c.1930
In This is my Life page 27 Jack Griffiths refers to Fred Windle starting a garage repairing motor bikes and cars in a wooden hut next to the gas works. Later he moved to the Vicarage Road site and had a taxi service and became funeral directors.

James Slater Windle mentioned as a candidate in the 1931 council election. Noted as a taper and living at 11 Wellhouse Road. His by-name was ‘Slate Pummer’ and he was a taper at Joseph Windle and Sons of Wellhouse Mill. He was a member of the council 1925/1931 and died November 17th 1938.

Stuart Windle noted as Council member 1932/1935. Died March 9 1952.

WINDLE. SALLY.
Sally Windle used to live in Green End Cottages, the second from the top. At the end of the cottages was a long narrow building called the bake house. Sally Windle baked 'a score' of oatmeal at a time into oatcakes. Later she and her husband moved to a block of houses off Stoneybank Road which is
Now (1932) the Clarence Club. She had a bakestone in the living room. They used water from the beck for domestic purposes but brought drinking water from a spring on Stoneybank opposite the cottages. Waste water was poured
away in the street. (from Craven Herald. 30/12/1932)

CH. 30/12/1932. William Windle was born in Earby on January 3,1825. His father was Thomas Windle. In his early years William was a hand loom weaver and he was one of the first power loom weavers to work at The Old Shed which was the weaving shed Christopher Bracewell built at Green End in Earby. The Old Shed was a long narrow building containing 140 looms and was later enlarged to 260. It was visited by the 'Plug drawers' [during the summer of 1842]. When Christopher Bracewell’s son William built Butts Mill in Barlick, William went to work there and was one of the first tacklers in the town. In 1859 he married Margaret Broughton. William became a taper at Butts and worked there for many years. In his later years he had 16 looms in Clough Shed on commission weaving. Francis his son had 16 looms on the same terms and William tackled for both of them.

WINDLE AND WHITTINGHAM Article in the BET of 22/07/2005 reported the death of Mrs Ellen Windle aged 75. She was the wife of the late Victor Windle. Born in Burnley she was brought up in the Harle Syke area by relations after the death of her mother at an early age. She worked in a mill at Harle Syke where she met her husband. Following their marriage they went to live and work in Earby eventually owning and running the small weaving shed near the Red Lion pub in partnership with a man called Whittingham who lived on the Ranch. Following Victor's death in 1984 the weaving shed closed, was sold and later demolished.

Maurice Windle died 25 October 2002. Funeral at Trinity and interment at Gill. 87 years old.

WINDLE BROTHERS. (garage)
Dorothy Carthy (info in October 2004) was related to the Windles and she said that she once heard them talking about how William, Duxbury had paid Towers Singleton so badly for hire of funeral vehicles that he went bankrupt. They said they weren't going to go the same way and this is why they started doing undertaking themselves. Dorothy said that Harold was close but fair but that his father had a bad name for being hard to deal with. Dorothy’s father was Dewhurst Broughton Windle. His by-name was ‘Dewt’.

SCG/22 November 2007
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THE WINDLES OF EARBY AND BARNOLDSWICK
Topic: http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/link ... IC_ID=4729
Date: 06 April 2006
Topic author: Mixman
Subject: The Windles of Earby and Barnoldswick
Posted on: 06 April 2006 12:55:11
The Windles of Earby and Barnoldswick
(by John Hartley) 30/12/1932
I am indebted to Miss Edna Windle, of Chapel Street, Barnoldswick, for further interesting information relating to the Windle families of Earby and its neighbouring town, Barnoldswick.
Her father was William Windle, and he was born at Earby on January 3rd, 1825, his father being Thomas Windle. He was only distantly related to Hartley Windle's family, referred to in the former article.
In his earlier years William Windle was a hand-loom weaver, and he was one of the first weavers employed at "The Old Shed," the original power loom shed, which was built by the Bracewell family, near Green End. This shed was a long, narrow building, with windows at the sides, containing 140 looms, and later enlarged to hold 260. The shed was visited by the "Plug Drawers" during the riots which took place when hand-looms were superseded by the power loom, and Wm. Windle must have been weaving at the shed at that time.
BUTTS MILL.
When the Butts Mill was built by William Bracewell, the eldest son of Christopher Bracewell, Green End, Earby, William Windle went to work at Barnoldswick, and he was one of the first tacklers in the town. In 1856 he married Margaret Broughton, a member of a well-known and respected family, and of five children born to them three are still living—Edna (1857), Sarah (1861) and James (1866).
When the new mill was built by Mr. Bracewell, William Windle went there as a taper, and he was held in the highest regard by his employer. Before his working days came to an end he made an attempt at manufacturing in a small way and he "ran" sixteen looms at the Clough Mill, on "'commission weaving.'' A friend of his, Francis Watson, also had sixteen looms on the same terms, and Wm. Windle did the tackling for the lot.
William Windle was an enthusiastic and capable musician, both as a vocalist and an instrumentalist. He was associated with the Bethesda Baptist Chapel, and was a valued member of the choir, first as a tenor singer, and afterwards as a bass singer. He was exceptionally good at starting tunes and could sing from music at first sight. He was also a noted violin player, and was always in evidence at musical events at Earby and Barnoldswick. and other villages and towns in the district.
The Barnoldswick Choral Society held their practices at William Windle's house at the bottom of Park Road, in Rainhall Road, which is now occupied as a newspaper shop by Arnold Crabtree. The whole family were interested in music, and on a memorable occasion in 1892 a visit was made to Manchester to hear Sir Charles Halle's band and chorus give "The Messiah." The story is best told in Edna's words:
"Aar Jim an' me went wi' mi father, an' we stayed at mi aunt's for the weekend. At the Free Trade Hall we had good seats, an' we all enjoyed it very much. Mi father followed every note with his book, an' beat time with his hand. At the end of the performance I said to him, 'Naa then, father, are you satisfied?' He replied, ' No, A' a ought to ha' bin up theer wi' that choir.' "
In her musical reminiscences Edna recalled the visit to "Barlick" of The Bacup Band played in the Baptist Chapel on a Club Day, and as they passed through the streets they played "Southport," which was always referred afterwards as "Bacup New Tune."
Black Dyke Band came for a Club Day in 1861 and for several years afterwards. There was no railway to Barnoldswick in those days, and the Black Dyke Band left the train at Thornton and came on to Barnoldswick in wagonettes. The Bacup Band came to Foulridge by train and were conveyed to their destination by a canal boat.
When there was some trouble at the Baptist Chapel in 1869, William Windle told his children one Sunday morning they had better not go to the Sunday School. "Let's goa to t' Methodists," said Edna, and they went and became greatly attached to their new spiritual home. "I think I have been of more use with the Wesleyans than I should have been with the Baptists," remarked Edna. For more than fifty years she has been a most faithful and devoted teacher, only recently relinquishing the care of the Young Ladies' Class.
At the opening of the Rainhall Road Methodist Chapel in 1877, Edna and Sarah were in the choir. The preacher was the Rev. Peter Mackenzie, and he lectured in the evening on "Queen Esther." It was a memorable occasion for Barnoldswick.
EARBY RECOLLECTIONS.
Edna had distinct recollections of visiting her grandparents at Earby. They lived in one of the Green End Cottages, the second from the top.
At the end of the cottages, a few yards away, there was a long, narrow building called "T' Bakus" (which is still in existence). "My grandmother, Sally Windle, used to bake a score of oatmeal at a time into oatcakes. Then they removed to a block of houses off Stoney-bank Road, which is now the Clarence Club, and she had a ' bak-stone ' (baking stone) in the living-room. They used the water from the village beck for domestic purposes, but the drinking water had to be fetched from a spring a long distance up the Stoneybank Road, half a mile away." (The spring and the small well are still in existence in the wall opposite the cottages, and the spring has never been known to fail.)
"There were no drains, and when they had finished washing they used to empty the water into the road."
the science teacher, who removed to Theale, near Reading, was the son of John Windle, brother of William Windle.
An extract from a letter which ho wrote to his relatives at home on the death of his aunt, Sarah Ann Windle, is rather illuminating:
' The family tree has not held any very prominent or honourable position, as men count honour, nor has it flourished under very propitious surroundings, but its older branches, that are dropping off one by one, were of a good, plain, homely, honest sort, with many curious and perhaps ungainly twists in their character, strong, inclining to wilfulness in growth, peculiar, yet steady and reliable."

A letter William Windle received from Mr. James Wilkinson, of Waterfoot. and a distinguished native of Earby, contains a valuable reference to the Earby Grammar School. The letter is dated September 11th, 1886, and was the outcome of a visit to Thornton Churchyard, when the two men conversed upon men and events of bygone days, to the great delight of Mr. Wilkinson. The letter states: "It feels to be years since I had such a rehearsal of past events with one who was so thoroughly conversant with those events as myself. Perhaps there is no other person in your neighbourhood whose presence would have roused to the same extent those lively recollections I promised to write to you and copy from a book that I have in my possession what is there said about Earby Grammar School. I give the exact transcription :
"Thornton-in-Craven, York., W.R. Earby School (non-classical). Founded by Robert Windle, before 1633, for a master to teach Latin and instruct the youth of the parish of Thornton. Now merely an elementary school. Income, £40, with house."
"The book from which I have quoted was published in 1869, and is called 'The great schools of England.' At the time when I and others of my age in the village should have been going to school it was shut up for some reason or other not known to me.”
Mr. Wilkinson went on, however, to refer to Mr. John Bentley, who became [the schoolmaster when the school was re-opened, and held the position for many years until by reason of advanced age ho had to retire.
"I think of Mr. Bentley (the schoolmaster who is best remembered) as one of my best friends that I have in the world, and but for him my life would have been differently spent."
Hartley Windle, another brother of William Windle's, followed them to Barnoldswick, and for a time lodged with his brother. He married Sarah Wilkinson, of Earby (Sarah o' John o* Dicks). He became the book-keeper at the New Mill, and also a teacher at an evening school. He was especially noted for being a good reader.
DARIUS WINDLE, the eldest son of Hartley Windle, followed in his father's footsteps as a student, and was one of the most enthusiastic attendants at the classes taught by Mr. John Lancaster at the Old Mechanics' Institute. For more than thirty years he has been one of the local actuaries at the Barnoldswick branch of the Yorkshire Penny Bank.
He is one of the oldest and most valued workers employed by Messrs. S. Pickles & Sons, at Calf Hall Shed. He is a tackier by occupation, and of an inventive turn of mind.
COLENSO GEORGE WINDLE was another distinguished son of Hartley Windle, whose life was cut short in his prime a few years ago. In his youth he became noted as a mathematician, and taught the commercial arithmetic classes under the Technical Instruction Committee of the W.R.C.C. He rose to the position of manager at Messrs. John Slater & Sons, Clough Mill, and he was a charming personality. He was an ardent lover of music, and for some years officiated as organist at the Baptist Church. Another memorable Barnoldswick townsman was Joseph Windle. He was especially notable as a bandsman, and he and his brother Ben were principal players in the Old Ribblesdale Band. He and his sons were manufacturers at the Wellhouse Mills for a long term of years.
ROBERT SLATER WINDLE, the accountant, is one of Barnoldswick's most illustrious sons. Leaving industrial life behind, he became a successful teacher of shorthand and other commercial subjects, and later qualified as an incorporated accountant. He has been principally responsible for the erection of some of the large weaving sheds in the town, and he is the secretary of many of the Room and Power Companies.
Mr. Thomas Windle, of Theale, Reading, was succeeded as Sanitary Inspector by his son. Two of his sons, and one of his daughters also hold very responsible positions in one of the banks at Reading.
J. H.

The Craven Herald 30th December 1932
Transcribed by John Turner April 2006
jct
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Jill Harwood

Post by Jill Harwood »

Kathleen, I've sent you an invitation to see my tree on "Ancestry".

Return to “Research Topics”