POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

Ossie says we are making progress.... so that's all right then. Notable that the escape from the 'triple dip' was down to increased activity in service industries. The two sectors that are the real powerhouse of growth, manufacturing and construction were down.
Angela Merkel says she is going to stop talking about 'austerity', form now on it's 'balancing the budget'. Same beast, different name. Globally, it's gradually being realised that the chase for 'sound money' a la 1930s isn't working. It may well be that the only way out of the mess is to do what got us in here in the first place, deficit financed spending to stimulate the economy. Funnily enough the financial markets wouldn't argue against this now. This was obvious in 2008 and some of the cash thrown at the banks should have been diverted into financing investment.
It seems I had a lucky escape. David Cameron visited Barlick yesterday and was in the supermarket glad-handing. Anyone would think there were elections on the horizon. Chris Grayling was in Colne the day before... Amazing how popular we are with the toffs when they want something only we can give them.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thursday election looms. It could be interesting when we see the results. I wonder whether it will concentrate the Tory minds.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ever noticed how the news caravan moves on to more topical matters and leaves the old stories behind? Two have resurfaced. Iraq is falling back into anarchy as Al-Qaeda attacks the Shiites using bombs. The Bush/Blair legacy is going sour. At Guantanamo Bay forced feeding of inmates who know there is no prospect of release is causing waves as American medical authorities protest that forced feeding mentally competent prisoners is tantamount to torture. Obama was hoping to close the facility down when he first came to power but has evidently found that there is powerful opposition. Again, a shameful legacy.
Over the years, the policies pursued by the developed nations and oil companies have induced tensions in the region which are the root of what we are seeing now. Can't resist a Biblical quotation; 'The sins of the fathers will be visited on the children even unto the third and fourth generation'.
Leaflets pile through my letter box. Thursday looms!

I remembered this. Thanks to Steve Bell....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Council elections today. Vote early and often! My own view is that LCC should be abolished but I shall vote anyway and as I am non-party will vote for David.
I have only ever missed using my vote once but that was the Police Commissioner election. So badly run, I had no basis for a choice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, important to vote, many hardships borne to give everyone the right. Ditto Stanley's voting record apart from the Police Commissioner election. I spoilt my ballot in that one, first time I had felt a need to do so. They all get read so although not counting not wasted either. It would have been a travesty to me not to turn up and make the effort.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

And ditto from here as well. In local elections they who work hard, deserve the vote, whatever their political leanings. David has been extremely helpful with the War Memorial project, and he has the ability to look at things from all angles.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We've just got back from our walk to down to Kelbrook to vote.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely mental picture. The peasants wending their way down the hillside to vote, singing happy songs.....
Even when I was a Party Member I supported David. I don't believe politics has any place in local politics. My only beef is that I believe the LCC is a 19th century anachronism and should be abolished.
Too early for any meaningful analysis but Guardian reports that UKIP are eating into Tory vote. Interesting how many last minute 'stories' about UKIP as clowns and fruit-cakes popped up in the last few days. Politics is a dirty game!
Meanwhile, in the EU, the ECB has reduced the interest rate to an all time low of 0.5% to try to stimulate the internal economy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thank you for support!

The county begins at 10am this morning... should have results around midday.

David
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

"Lovely mental picture. The peasants wending their way down the hillside to vote, singing happy songs....."
Oi, you calling me a peasant Stanley?
I do like the fact that we are part of Kelbrook despite the BB8 postcode and only a footpath connection. Three quarters of an hour down and (impressive this) three quarters of an hour back up the hill again. No breath left for singing happy songs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nowt wrong with being a peasant Wendy, one of the last bastions of common sense!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I was wondering this morning, just how many hard working councillors were sacrificed on the altar of political protest yesterday, and replaced by people who could not believe their luck, and are probably now wondering just how they are going to cope with it all! I have always viewed local politics as more to do with ability than political ambition. The right person for the job is worth far more than protest.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Labour with the greatest gains overall, seats from both Conservatives and Liberals. UKIP a few gains. Overall a hung council. Congratulations must go to Cllr Whipp here in Pendle for bucking the general trend and regaining the seat he lost.

Pretty abysmal turnout of 30% overall though. Reinforces my view that it's time we adopted compulsory voting. Fine everyone that can't be bothered, deduct at source so no arguments. It has proved to be an apathy changer in other countries so why not here?
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Interesting times... in Lancashire, the county council has gone to no overall control, which we had last between 1985 to 1989. It was an intense and interesting period; wonder what it'll be like this time around?

In Barnoldswick, Claire Teall won the Coates Ward byelection for the Liberals with a 200 or so majority over Conservative Mike Thompson.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Congratulations David.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thomo wrote:I have always viewed local politics as more to do with ability than political ambition...
I agree with that Thomo, and I don't support political parties so I apply the same approach to national elections. But...how do we judge ability when we don't know the person from Adam? I'm speaking now about our experience here in Somerset with election of our county representatives. We've had no information on the candidates except for the Conservative one and that was via his own leaflet through our letterbox - but at least it told me something about his beliefs etc. I searched on the Web and couldn't find any detailed information about the other candidates. I went into the election booth with a piece of paper with six names on it and the only one I'd even heard of was the Conservative. I wanted to vote, therefore he got my vote, being the only one to have attempted to inform me about himself. Voting for any of the others would be no better than closing my eyes and sticking a pin in the paper. We should have an official web site for every election on which each candidate has a standard page showing at the very least their biographical details and what they intend to do for the district/county/nation. (A bit like the shopping comparison sites!) Someone on the radio said "We're not voting in this election for somebody to keep out Bulgarian immigrants, we want to vote for somebody who won't waste lots of our money putting a swimming pool in County Hall for the staff!".
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

my tweet wrote:#Coatesward #Barnoldswick Lab: 221, Lib Dem: 623, me: 427 Congratulations to Claire Teale :)
I had a lot of fun and want to thank all those people that I talked to
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent idea for the politico website Tizer. Traditionally the information on candidates is usually covered by the local press but in this day and age not everyone subscribes to local, regional or even national newspapers. I am a case in point. I gave up the nationals years ago as I see them basically as yesterdays news and someone else's opinion. The local papers are almost exclusively advertisement lead in order to survive, we used to get both our locals but don't get either now. I watch the news on TV, national and local and get a reasonable idea of what is going on. If I want to know more I usually hit the internet and dig. But as you rightly say that can also draw a blank. The Police Commissioner travesty would be a case in point.

A consolidated national register of candidates website would be a belting idea. A simple content management system set up to contribute to the database. If we introduced compulsory voting, the fines for not voting could be used to run such a venture. A page for every official candidate in all elections. Same amount of space given to each so they could all make their pitch. Of course not everyone has access to the internet but it would be a step up from the dearth of information that is made available in some elections. It would give a lot less excuse for the apathy and lack of information cited by some folk as an excuse for not voting as well. Not rocket science in this day and age either and should be easily attainable and could provide employment for a number of people in administration and moderation of such a resource. I want it now and I will even help to run it if anyone wants to employ me!
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

On the basis that local government was all about good local people rather than national parties - I voted for the Lib Dem candidate in District and County elections. The candidate is/ was American, and her father was assassinated in Beirut in the eighties. He was a lecturer at the American University there. She lives in the village, is a tireless worker, and and helped me in my mission to reinstate a road sign. Others must have agreed - she wiped the floor with the rest in both elections.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looking at the national result now the dust has settled the main result is that UKIP have taken 25% of the voters who bothered to turn out. There's a clear message here and it's not necessarily that the voters like UKIP, it's simply that many are rejecting the main parties. What this will mean in a General Election remains to be seen.
Cameron says that "Lessons must be learned" but the question is what lessons? After making a complete mess of his reaction to UKIP his biggest problem now is his own Party Members, not necessarily what's best for the country. The bottom line for the Tories is that their policies aren't working, their attitude to the electorate is medieval and if these results are projected nationally they can forget coming back into power with a clear majority.
All politics is local in that voters look for the party best suited to their needs. What is perfectly clear is that the electorate are not pleased with the status quo. We need some fresh thinking, proper opposition and sensible policies based on fact not party dogma. Interesting times.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Voting is done too much on `brand name' (party) and not enough on quality of the individuals concerned.

Ian, I hope someone in the right place is paying attention to what you say! I wonder if Richard Broughton has any useful connections for the purpose of promoting the idea? Like you, I don't read newspapers much these days, we get The Times on Saturday but mostly for the `Money' section which is good at keeping us up to date on the bankers' scams etc. The news we get from Radio 4 mostly and some Internet sites. Local newspapers are not much to use to us, we live out in the sticks and on their boundaries, so they don't cover us much.

Someone pointed out on the radio this morning that the newspaper barons like Murdoch and the Barclays are having even more influence at the moment in the aftermath of these elections. They're determining party policies more than the parties!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Faraj was interviewed on Radio 4. The focus of the interview was around his statement that there would be no party whip and that the elected individuals would be able to make "votes of conscience" and would not be taken to task if they did not adhere to policies. He confirmed that was the case, as they would be in a position to know local conditions, but when pressed, clarified that they would be expected to tow the party line when it came to immigration and leaving the common market. Surprise , surprise. I fear that the success of UKIP will mean that people will regard it as a mainstream party and therefore viable and will continue to vote for it despite the fact that its policies are very woolly and don't stand up to scrutiny. Interesting times indeed!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, I heard that interview as well and suspect that the informant is right about Murdoch and the Barclay Brothers. Both very spooky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A little thought for you.... Media celebrity is accused of sexual assault, dropped immediately from schedules. Political celebrity ditto, media campaign in support starts and they stay in post. Double standards?
Nigel Lawson comes out heavily this morning in favour of a no vote in any referendum on the EU. Significantly he rubbishes any concessions that Cameron could possibly gain in a re-negotiation, in other words, no need to wait for that. This increases the pressure on Cameron and we can expect a change of course I think. Meanwhile, Labour keeps silent, why don't they come out in support of Lawson, it makes sense to me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

PanBiker wrote:If we introduced compulsory voting...It would give a lot less excuse for the apathy and lack of information cited by some folk as an excuse for not voting as well.
To give the example of Coates, 21 people spoiled their ballot paper, 69.09% could not even be bothered to do that

My one concern about compulsory voting is simply that the system does not currently have an answer to the "none of the above" candidate actually winning

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”