WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tripps »

Tardis wrote:Indeed, she was Huhne's wife's brief
Still not quite there I'm afraid - here are a few quick cuttings from the Guardian which may clarify the situation :smile:

Her solicitor, Robert Brown, said they are actively considering whether to appeal.
During his mitigation speech Pryce's barrister, Julian Knowles QC........

Briscoe, who is one of Britain's most prominent black female judges played a major – but absent – role in the trial of Pryce.
It was to Briscoe that Pryce, who lived three doors away in Clapham, south London, turned for help after Huhne, left her for the PR adviser Carina Trimingham, 46, the jury in Pryce's trial heard.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Bob Dylan playing 3 nights at the Blackpool Opera House in November....Do I want to go? Yes! Can I have two treats in one year? Dunno. :confused:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What caught my attention was the geranium flowers in our garden this evening, turning to catch the last of the sunlight in the peaceful lull after a day of gales...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How comfortable the latest stage in my new bottom gobblers felt yesterday. They are slow but it feels like a good job! Roll on July 6th!
It struck me that nobody with their own teeth knows how clean and fresh a denture feels when it is popped in after a wash in cold water. Beats a toothbrush and flossing any day! They do have advantages! (Especially when eating very cold ice cream)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

While on the bus into town today (the City of Adelaide), I think I witnessed an Angel in action, don't laugh, sat opposite me was a man who had obviously been hard done by in life and he was asleep, a lady changed her seat to be closer to him (and me) and asked me if I knew if he was OK or not. I said that I thought he was just asleep. She nudged him to wake up and asked him asked if he way OK, he responded politely saying he was OK. She went on to ask him if he had eaten today, offered him 2 places to go for help (Salvo's and another place for shelter, food etc), then told him of our Human Resources Dept (Govt). She then asked him if he was a drug user, he said No he wasn't, but he doesn't eat very often. She gave him $20 advising him to get a good meal and then got up and bought him a day-pass bus ticket from the driver and gave it to him. He accepted the money and thanked her. As we got into town the bus stopped opposite our main hospital and she told him that he could go in there anytime and get a free check-up. It was wonderful to see her 'in action', she was very calm and not at all pushy, I wondered if she had worked for a social services type of department. He didn't appear to be embarrassed or belittled at all which I think is because of the way she handled the situation. If I were thinking of helping someone like that, I'm sorry to say that I would probably change my mind because of fear for my own safety or fear of being used, or taken for a ride. (Sounds horrible I know) It would be wonderful if we had more trust in people like this, and more guts within ourselves.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely story Cathy and you're right, we sometimes forget how effective a small dose of TLC can be when someone is down on their luck. That's the reason why my favourite charity is the Sally Army, they have done so much good over the years and face to face with the most needy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Misty had me up at 5.00 am , Cath shortly followed having read the alarm clock wrongly, as I get downstairs I hear the shower running as Charlotte thinks its "about 7" and I don't have the nerve to tell her otherwise yet. Dan's back from holiday tomorrow but he would have slept on. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was woken up at about midnight by hubby (who had stayed up to watch a film) shouting at me to get up..."something's going on, there's vehicles & people coming up the track...all night party....horses going wild in the field....!"
By the time I'd thrown on some clothes and got outside he had dealt with the interlopers...kids with backpacks & tents looking for the party. From our neighbour's farm behind us you could hear the sounds of a BIG party going on in the barns. We went to catch the ponies, who were finding it all extremely exciting....not their usual quiet night on the hillside...and got them safely into the barn.
That was it, I couldn't get back to sleep, luckily the wind drowned most of the noise, but every now and then for the next three hours a vehicle would come down our track by mistake (b****y sat navs) with headlights blazing into the bedroom window. They had to do a lot of reversing to get back to the road!
A bit of a warning about the party from the neighbours would have been appreciated...and perhaps a "no access" sign at the end of our track.
:smile:
Victor Meldrew is a sweety compared to my hubby these days.....as we lay awake I tried to remind him that he was young once....all those parties we went to...ggrumphhh.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

The Meldrew phase goes with the name. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I know quite a few blokes around our age, myself included that could step directly into the shoes of the "Grumpy Old Men". I used to have hair like Rick Wakeman so I could substitute for him (with a bit of imagination) :grin:
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

"Good Morning Pluggy, What a lovely morning it is"

Probably as miserable as it gets in the middle of June.....
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Finding the link to my son starring in a chocolate advert on YouTube. Bellissimo!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Going back to Grumpy Old Men....
I wake up cheerful and looking forward to the day, get up to feed dog & cats, make a cuppa for me and Grumps and take it back to bed. Radio 4 goes on, and I sup mine and wait for Himself to stir. Instead of the "Morning Darling, thanks for bringing me a lovely cup of tea again" that I hope and long for, there will be a sudden explosion of anger and invective at something on the news as he struggles to emerge cursing from the duvet.....and that's it, I don't hear another news item in full because of the running commentary full of vitriol from the Grumpy Old Man who was once the laid back, super cool, long haired hippy that I married!
(He's very useful to have around the house though :grin:)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Maybe Colin could be Rick Wakeman - does he play keyboards? :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No Ian, you can be Rick Wakeman. Col prefers to be Crosby, Stills & Nash.
Here's a LINK to prove it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a tranquil life me and Jack lead.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Why are men so grumpy in the morning? Dave says it's because I am to noisy in the mornings but it's another day so shouldn't we be optimistic and enjoy life? Eileen
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Hear! Hear! Stanley, except with me it's me and my cat. Somedays I think she is demanding enough but it's lovely to have something living to look after.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Heard on Radio 4 this morning...
A dog thinks "This man is feeding me so he must be God."
A cat thinks "This man is feeding me so I must be God."
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Some days my man is grumpy, and some days he goes out of his way to be contrary...or nit-picketty. Mostly I just laugh it off...people ask 'how do you live with him?'...but I genuinely find his moods amusing. I do find it annoying if I make arrangements for us to be somewhere at a particular time, as he will go out of his way to work against it happening smoothly. That can be stressful. But I warn people about his ways and hopefully they understand I can only do so much!
He has many endearing qualities. I think I can overlook his funny little flaws...(eeeee...probably have one or two of me own)
I tend to be really cheerful in the mornings. I wake up early and want to bounce out of bed and throw the curtains open to see if the sun is up. I can't understand people who pull the quilt over their heads and try to get another half hour kip. It is sooooo boring having to lay in bed or sit still...)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once lived with a woman who was a 'night person'. Not good for me, it didn't last....
If you aren't a gamer and you can stand being thoroughly bemused have a look at this LINK. I begin to realise how old I am....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

My son's appearance in another commercial, not that I want to promote the company :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSuq0QqH3KE
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The following occurred on Friday last. First the arrival of a planning application notice:- Proposal; "Change of use of the bus turning area to residential curtilage" Location; "Land adjacent to former Fosters Arms Hotel, Gisburn Rd." File Ref; 13/13/0271P". Then in the early evening, four of these notices appeared in that area:-

Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I was contacted by Mohsin on my twitter account to say that he couldn't get onto the site and register.

He says he can't post or add to his profile. Is that because of some temporary moderation?
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Thomo wrote:The following occurred on Friday last. First the arrival of a planning application notice:- Proposal; "Change of use of the bus turning area to residential curtilage" Location; "Land adjacent to former Fosters Arms Hotel, Gisburn Rd." File Ref; 13/13/0271P". Then in the early evening, four of these notices appeared in that area:-

Rather draconian, sounds like it needs investigating

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”