WILD ? .."I was LIVID" !..(Wildlife Corner)

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WILD ? .."I was LIVID" !..(Wildlife Corner)

Post by Tizer »

When I was a teenager my dad moved an old shed and found there had been a wasps' nest underneath - they were none too pleased and we couldn't get near the area to continue the work. I was fascinated by having `discovered' chemistry at school and had my own accumulation of chemicals and apparatus. I quickly made up an appropriate mix, put it in a paper bag, dropped it on the nest and threw a match at it. Whoosh! Big sheet of flame and clouds of smoke...and no more wasps! (I have to admit it was more powerful than I'd expected, otherwise I would have used something longer to light the paper bag.) A big cloud of smoke drifted across the gardens and past the other houses, with the neighbours coming out to see what had happened. I can't imagine doing it today, there'd be a full-scale terrorist alert with police in NBC suits, snipers, tasers, helicopters...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not quite wasps but in the LTP some good accounts of stunning fish in the beck by putting quick lime and water in a screw top bottle and sinking it in the water. Just imagine what the reaction would be today! (In case you've never done it, it's a fair explosion, same effect if you use carbide)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Woe betide any hawk that dares to hover around here at the moment. I saw a kestrel yesterday being driven away by a mob of about 20 swallows, four lapwings, a curlew and a flock of starlings...what a racket they all made! We have never seen so many lapwings around before.
Another lovely sight the other day....I spotted movement in the meadow below us where the grass is getting long ready for siloing, there were dark shapes appearing and disappearing in the long grass. It was a group of at least 5 or 6 hares playing chase all over the field.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Very similar experience yesterday. I was out fishing in Cheshire when I heard a clamour, it turned out to be a number of Lapwings mobbing a Buzzard. Lapwings seem to have made a bit of a comeback I've seen plenty this year.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Those of you who are able to watch nature so closely are very lucky, if i was in a position to do so I reckon I would spend half my day watching thru binoculars. :smile: Enjoy
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Nature the greatest show on Earth and mostly for free. During my fishing yesterday, I shared the pond with a grey heron he at one end I at the other, the air was full of electric blue Damsel flies, drabber darters, and a few Dragon flies one of which sat on my rod for a short period with its 5 inch wings extended. As I arrived early the dawn chorus was mine to listen to. Yes Cathy I know i'm very lucky.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The binoculars are always by the window ready to grab Cathy, and I am constantly aware of how lucky we are to be able to live here....even when the wind howls round the house and rain lashes down for days on end!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Same here Wendy. Binoculars on table next to window with assortment of wildlife and bird books, just in case something odd pays us a visit.
Last year, and we have never got to the bottom of this, I was outside in the morning when half a dozen crow sized birds flew over the house, at least three of them had white heads!! black bodies, white heads. Must have been some sort of mutation.
We have a male blackbird with a strong white spot on it's back and a female with a vague white spot---Mother and son, or, brother and sister??
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

This morning about 0500 I was sitting by a very pretty pool watching the world waking up. As i opened my breakfast sandwich a small pair of eyes watched, the owner of these eyes was a Greenfinch. Breaking off a small piece of the whole meal I tossed it in his direction thinking the movement would cause him to flee, but no he pounced on it. A few minutes later when I looked he was within two feet wanting more strange how trusting some wild creatures can be.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gloria we have black birds in Valley Gardens that have half a white collar on the back of their necks.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our bike ride today took us down to Southfield Bridge and back all on the canal towpath. A lot of the fish in the canal are basking or cruising just below the surface so there are lots of small shoals of roach with a few larger specimens visible from time to time. Down in the winding hole between the turnover bridge and the plantation at the back of Nutter Cote, I saw more Bream than have ever seen before in over 50 years of walking, cycling and fishing the canal. There were two main shoals cruising between the left hand rush bed and the trees on the far bank. Each had about 40-50 fish all of a decent size 2lb skimmers to nice big 5lb plus examples. The water had a constant swirl with the fish turning over on the top. Lots basking in the middle where the channel is deepest. They never seem to be there when I am fishing the length! Or maybe they are just very good at hiding!
Ian
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Ian the Canal and River trust have written a Greenways Code. This addresses the headphone problem and suggests that folks shouldn't use them. It also suggests two rings of the bell when coming up on pedestrians, who of course have priority of way, and asks cyclists to consider some folks may have hearing impairment and to slow down cosiderably when overtaking anyone.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The carnage on our roads this morning. On a 14 mile journey on country roads I counted two hedgehogs, one badger,three rabbits, a roe deer, and two unidentifiable birds. It would seem we have a lot of drivers with poor eyesight or attention problems. this is a daily sight but this morning was extreme, it is to be hoped these motorists never travel past schools.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A lot of daddy longlegs (crane fly) around at the moment.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to hear of any encouragement to cyclists to use bicycle bells to warn pedestrians of their approach. I saw Ian had written about using a bell but I haven't heard one used for ten years or more now. Maybe it's different up North but down here they're as rare as hen's teeth. I can't remember if it was written on here, but I recall an explanation that retailers asked cyclists if they wanted the bell removing before they sold them a bike, and the fashion was to say yes. Cyclists come up behind us with no warning in our lanes (no footpaths, no verges; ditches and hedges either side). We can't hear them coming at the best of times and it's even worse if the wind is blowing through the trees above.

I guess there's more wildlife run over at at the moment because the heat and drought makes them desperate for food and water so they take greater risks; also they are weaker than normal and probably more confused. We're getting a lot of scavengers such as common gulls, probably because of the increased availability of carcasses.

I saw a ladybird yesterday, the first one for months, and haven't seen many this year.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I seem to remember reading about 6 years ago that it was being made illegal for bikes not to have a bell, obviously another 'gunner'
A ladybird landed on my skirt last Saturday in Glasson Dock.
We have 2 hedgehogs visit every night at the caravan, they love dog food & peanuts. Apparently peanuts are good for their skin.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Dog food is fine and Im sure you are aware (but worth including), they are lactose intollerant, milk can kill them in a worst case scenario..
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

They also are fond of soft brown bread.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very hot and humid yesterday evening. Lots of small insects flying about......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See this LINK for news about a plague infected squirrel found in the Angeles National Forest in California.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

On my way home from fishing yesterday, I listened to a discussion on the plague Squirrel, seems the black death never went away. listening to this brought back memories of a book Titled The Hot Zone by Richard Preston this book discusses the scenario of what would happen if some of the Viral infections in tropical zones should cross to a human being, and then be carried on to an aircraft buy that person. How in a few short days this would circumnavigate the globe. No anti biotics for these diseases, but fortunately they would work for the black death or plague. 28 Million people succumbed to the black death.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I sat outside for a while yesterday and could hear buzzards crying above the moor. There was a "stack" of birds circling high up - I counted eight, all at different levels with the highest one not much more than a dot against the clouds. Wonderful.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

When I drew back the lounge curtains this morning my heart was filled with joy, there on my bird feeder were two Gold finches. These are exquisite little birds and very seldom come to our feeders, I wonder if the overnight rain had sent them looking for a dry breakfast. They stayed for maybe four minutes before departing it was only as they left that I thought of my camera lying scant feet away.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A swallow enjoying the evening sun on the tip of the turbine blade.

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Nice to see the swallow Wendy, especially because they'll soon be on their way south again. I saw this pied wagtail feeding its two youngsters in the garden yesterday and managed to snap it. They always remind me of clockwork toy soldiers when they walk!

Return to “Animals and Pets”