Today I shall be Mainly...

Callunna

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Callunna »

Today is mostly being spent glueing and assembling kitchen carcasses ready to install the new kitchen in our rented house. (one bed, £75 pw just in case anyone’s interested...)

Yesterday was spent with a lump hammer destroying the old one. Have to say that although the finish of the old kitchen was hideous - faded formica and plywood - the actual carcasses had been built by an old school joiner from half a century ago. Everything was dovetail joints and screws - none of yer nails and glue there. Took me ages to flatten it.
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

I could do with mine being flattened! Sorry to see your links to your music sites are reduced to tiny unreadable script whilst a large Ann summers advert flashes accross the screen...it's almost time for me to leave One Guy I think...it's one thing to upgrade the site..it's quite another to change it's function altogether. Someone tell me it's a temporary glitch!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes...I am sorry but that advert banner upsets me too...( and we are paying to watch it!)
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Marilyn wrote:Yes...I am sorry but that advert banner upsets me too...and we are paying to watch it!
Those members who make a donation to the site do not have to see the adverts. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Today, I mostly handed in my notice........ Glad I did, just got to find gainful employment elsewhere now. However my pride and my reputation are intact.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, I think you've got it the wrong way around...you pay *not* to watch it (and to keep OG going).

Julie, Want a job? Greece could do with a new leader - I bet you'd sort `em out!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

"Those members who make a donation to the site do not have to see the adverts. Nolic"
Thanks for explaining that Nolic, and giving me a clearer idea of the kind of people I have been hob nobbing with all these years. I do remember Pluggy saying this site could be run without donations so not sure why it has been set up the way it has, but how much nicer it would have been to ask people privately whether they would prefer to pay or see adverts, rather than publicly naming and shaming...I have given donations in the past, and I am wondering why now!
I am afraid the new site does not yet appear to be anything I would want to donate to. It purports to be "local" yet is set up like a global networking site, the privacy, and the cosines have gone. The opening message is impurtinent and irritating, much of the ease of navigation has been lost and everything from the gallery, to the thanking, to the arcade, to the donations, seems to be about competition.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Belle as per your response to Tizer elsewhere I shall refer you to the topic "Advertisements, Donations & Financing " Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Must find a computer that doesn't have my OGFB cookies on it so I can see what these adverts look like everyone is whinging about.

Yes I did say this site could be run without donations, and yes it could with aggressive advertising. Having donations and advertising but not at the same time like Doc is doing is the ideal solution in my opinion. This new forum software is much more efficient than the old stuff and costs a fraction of what the old one did to host.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Having now seen said adverts, my opinion is they aren't THAT bad, I've seen far worse, but they are an incentive to make a donation. Just my opinion of course......

I would like to make it clear that although I sport the 'Administrator' badge, I'm leaving the site to Doc's care. Read http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... 4188#p4188 for hints as to why he wants a backup.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I too have donated to the old site, but will not be donating to the new site.
And ( personal opinion) I think it is wrong to tout for donations whilst running paid advertising. I accept that a lot of you have the opposite opinion.
So I am voting with my feet...going on sabbatical from OG...will check in again in a few months to see if the site more suits my expectations. At present, OG certainly isn't the haven it once was, and the final assault of being subjected to advertising on a site I visit for leisure purposes, takes the cake!
Just a thought...could it be possible for 'visitors' to the site get the ads ( as they do all the newshound stuff) and regular ' registered members' get ad free? It is one solution, but I can see folk not bothering to join because the advertising putting them off altogether when initially perusing the site.
I always avoid sites with advertising.

See you in a couple of months. Maybe!
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

At least one of them IS bad. That’s one too many.

I hope Doc can specify only family-friendly adverts. If not, I suspect he will lose quite a number of visitors and members.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got a lady in a pair of knickers before I logged on!
Jules, I just wanted you to know that at least one reader noticed your post. Well done, you have bitten the bullet and got rid of something that has caused you grief! (Bit like paying a quid and getting rid of adverts.... Sorry about that!) Have you got something lined up? Setting up as an Avon Lady? Whatever it is, I hope it works out OK. Doc and Ian are under-employed as well at the moment...
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Oooerrr Stanley, that does sound rude! Jobwise I do not have anything to go to as yet but had made my mind up to go on 5th February when I was told to do something which goes against all my principals. I had already put my c.v. on the tinterweb thingy and Monday other work related stuff occurred which was the last straw. I have gone quietly by choice, but have included in my notice some thinking material for the company which they either will or will not act on.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whatever happens Jules you have stayed honest. Would that more people had principles! Best of luck. (Nothing rude about being an Avon Lady surely?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A brave move Jules. Hope you find a new job that you can enjoy.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Just a thought... Are these advertisers getting a free ride or are they paying to advertise on this site?
If they are not paying then what is the point? :confused:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy. Hopefully they will produce an income for the site but at the moment nobody can tell whether it will be significant. For the time being we are asking for everyone to donate at least £1 (0.27p a day) to escape the adverts for a year. Some of us have already contributed more. The idea is to get to a stage where the site is self-supporting and Doc isn't paying for us all out of his back pocket. Be a devil and click on the Pay Pal logo and shove in a £1. Pay Pal charge Doc a handling charge of 54p a donation so that means he gets 46p. So it makes sense to give more if you can afford it! I know it's a shock but we need to ensure the long term survival of the site, it's too valuable to lose in the black hole of cyberspace.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

To clarify Stanley's 0.27p a day in case anyone confuses it with 27p, he's talking about £1 a year being equivalent to a quarter of a penny a day. (I'd said a farthing but that would be unfair because when we had those they were worth much more than a quarter of a modern penny!) If I understand it correctly, every time someone clicks on an advert it will raise some money for OG - perhaps more if someone then buys from that advertising site (a % of the amount paid by the buyer). This is all normal throughout the Internet, there's nothing strange or underhand about it, it's standard part of so-called e-commerce. It won't frighten off new people, they will see it on many other sites they visit. Many of the sites I visit have ads and don't even give me the opportunity to pay and avoid them. In those cases if the ads bother me I alter the size of my browser window so that it trims off the ads!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I used to know a bloke whose house was called 'Farthings' because it was at the end of the access road to the site. God knows what that has to do with anything...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Gentlemen you appear to have missed the point entirely. I don't think there is anyone on here who would grudge paying a pound a year to keep the site running, if I donated, and when I have in the past, it has been more than that. I also don't think anyone would have a problem with a few tasteful adverts if it helped. What I reacted to was the sudden unexpected appearance of flashing adverts, some less than tasteful, at the top, down the sides and in the middle of the posts..these pages are already cluttered and confusing and it was difficult to see where the posts were, and impossible to see Calluna's links to her music sites, which are very relevant to the local historical theme of the site. When I mentioned it I was told the equivalent of "pay up and they will be taken off!"
Unfortunately that approach has always got my back up. I was not aware of any prior discussion re adverts being put on the pages of those who had not subscribed,(though it turns out actually they had in the past) and I do not respond to anyone asking for money in this way, it is like someone spraying graffiti over the walls of my house then asking for money to clean it. But what I have been reminded of is that this is not my site.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

A groan groat a day for your services.

There are other e-commerce e-money sites ( moneybookers ) - I could put my old link on here and I would earn a few pence per sign up , the transmission fees are much smaller than paypal for money for money at about 3% tops , (7.5%ish if for payment for goods ordered from a website)

It would be nice to get some target adverts on site , eg BT on the Computer Moan Topic , GNER East Coast Trains on the Transport Pages , Ancestry on the Family History page ( I know its not perfect but it might be heading in a better direction ).
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Belle - I’m in total agreement with you and thanks for your kind words about my links.

I was planning to donate to this website but I’m now having a rethink. Not because of Doc - who is doing a fantastic job and has indicated that he actually listens and takes on board people’s comments, but because of a minority who come over as ... no, it’s not worth expressing an opinion on that because it won’t make a scrap of difference.

The adverts are, sadly, only going to generate peanuts and yet they’ll put a lot of people off - including potential donors like me. I personally think they are a huge mistake. Those who have closed their minds to this possibility are doing the website a major disservice.

However if the OGFB clique doesn’t mind them, then so be it. I have far more important things to worry about just now.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Heres a small lesson in how advertising on websites work. Or in other words pretty much what funds the entire internet.

Advertisers do not advertise specifically on your site, that is decided by the advertising service and to some extent by the website owner who usually has some control over the types of adverts displayed. On some services (like google adsense), the advertisements displayed vary by who looks at them and what they have looked at and searched for before as well as where in the world they are viewed from. Anyone can sign up to an advertising service and incorporate the code to display ads on their site. I have my own site and some pages have adverts on them - http://www.pluggy.me.uk/ The banner ad will will be personalised for you, so I can't say what it will show for you. I see an Experion Property check ad at the moment. If you click on it, a lump of money will be charged to whoever placed that particular advert with Google, and I will get a small part of that credited to my Google account.

This is what my site (insignificant number of views alongside OGFB) generates for me - £2.04 since the beginning of this month.

When it builds up to around $100 US (Google is American) they sent me a cheque (Usually around sixty odd quid) in my local currency. It offsets how much my site costs me to keep ( $4.99 a month since its hosted with an American company, the domain names associated with it are extra - usually a few quid a year each). If you are good at making your site attractive and making people want to click on "your" ads, you can make quite a lot of money from it. I've also paid to advertise my company (the other side) with google, its expensive and didn't achieve much other than attracting calls from search engine optimiser companies saying they can get me a lot more hits if I pay them money as well.

Doc isn't using Google, from perusing the source of the OGFB web pages, it looks like his adverts are coming from this outfit - http://www.tradedoubler.com/index.html

I trust he's getting a reasonable deal from them.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Oh heck - are we falling out again and grumbling about people? I was hoping we would all rub along better on this site.
Say only a little but say it well.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”