edmondson bracewell

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
braces

edmondson bracewell

Post by braces »

Hi this is braces from dukinfield I have been researching my family tree for quite sometime now but anyone has any information about my grt grt grandfather edmondson bracewell from the village of trawden I would be so grateful to hear it.his gravestone stands in the centre of trawden and was in lifetime a methodist preacher he was also a farmer and a father of fourteen children. Thank you.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: edmondson bracewell

Post by Wendyf »

Hello Braces, welcome to the site. I cant help I'm afraid.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Hi Braces, I have found him on various censuses, but you may already have those. If not we can go backwards a bit. Was he born c1845 and was his father also called Edmondson?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two suggestions. Look up Bracewells in the site index for lots of references to the Barlick Bracewells. Do the obvious, log on to the BT site and look for current Bracewells in Trawden. A cold call might give you a clue.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

Gloria wrote:Hi Braces, I have found him on various censuses, but you may already have those. If not we can go backwards a bit. Was he born c1845 and was his father also called Edmondson?
Hi Braces,

I found the same person as Gloria and the Edmonson (father) born in 1816 was married to Martha Heaton and had 10 girls and 4 boys that I've found so far. He died on 4 Feb 1899 in Colne. The son Edmonson was born 1845 in Trawden and died 4 Mar 1931in Laycock; he was married to Sarah Greenwood. Is this the right family?
Liz
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I have passed your query on to one of my fellow local history volunteers at Colne Library. She has family connections to Trawden and may well be able to come up with some information beyond the bare bones of census & bmd records.
The Annals of Trawden Forest written by Fred Bannister is available to read online HERE. I can't see anything about Edmondson Bracewell, but it's worth a read anyway!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I found this snippet from The Blackburn Standard September 27th 1854.
"COLLIERY EXPLOSION _
An explosion of fire damp took place at Clough Head Colliery, Marsden, near Burnley, on the afternoon of Tuesday week. Two colliers named John Brown and John Smith were slightly burnt, the former about the head, but neither of them dangerously. The explosion is attributed to the exposure of a lamp by a miner, named Edmondson Bracewell"

Both the 1851 & 1861 census records show four people called Edmondson Bracewell, your gt gt grandfather, his son Edmonson born about 1845, one born in Kelbrook (weaver) and one in Colne (house painter). Edmondson's 16 year old son is recorded as a coal miner in 1861....I wonder if he was he down the pit as a 9/10 year old uncovering his lamp when he shouldn't?

Return to “Introductions”