Today I shall be Mainly...

elise

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by elise »

I too liked the Hollies, got to talk with Mr Nash a couple of times, nice man.No I wasn't a groupie, I was always with boy frineds.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic of Sally in the paper....
Will record F1 at 6am and enjoy it later. (I can see it much more clearly now....)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Glad to hear you weren't a groupie Elise :smile:
Hoping to get out for a good walk today...not sure where yet.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Think one of the Hollies lived in Fouldridge for a while on Skipton rd, before moving round the lake, wonder if he's still there.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Bobby Elliott, the drummer. Someone told me a while ago that he now lives in the farmhouse on Castle Road, just before the junction with Cob Lane...don't know if that's right though.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Thanks Wendy hope we haven't sent fans to his home, my friend served his apprentice ship with Hills in Nelson, his mentor was Tony Hicks dad who was a diesel fitter there. He used to give us a lift when we went camping before we got motorbikes.
elise

Post by elise »

hartley353 wrote:Think one of the Hollies lived in Fouldridge for a while on Skipton rd, before moving round the lake, wonder if he's still there.
Bernie Calvert
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I knew Bernie Calvert, before the Hollies he used to play with Blues Unlimited-----VERY nice bloke.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Getting the ponies in and spending a bit of time grooming to make them presentable for the farrier when he arrives around midday, not that he is bothered what they look like as long as their legs and feet are clean. I need to dose them with wormer as well....I don't look forward to that bit at all.
After that I am cleaning and tidying in the barn in preparation for the winter, making space for hay and feed, and making sure that the ponies rugs are fit for purpose. I normally start bringing the ponies inside at night around Halloween/Bonfire night and that time of year is approaching fast!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Been to the docs and had flu jab, also pneumonia jab!!! only need one in a lifetime, they waited long enough to give me mine then. :laugh5:
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just finished a delightful afternoon with the children of Year 4 at St Josephs Primary School in Barlick. We were asked if we would go and give them a bit of a talk about WWII. They have been covering it on their curriculum (although we are told it is being dropped until secondary school).

We were both dressed in or 40's gear and Sally took some of her collection of vintage clothes. I took a CD with some extracts of original WWII radio broadcasts (I have a lot of coverage from 1939 -45), and some suitable music for dancing. I also took my British BD and my USAF Tunic to show them the difference in style and quality.

The children had dressed in keeping with the spirit of the afternoon and all had their luggage labels and gas masks.

We talked about the evacuation of children (I had some BBC radio broadcasts from 1939). Sally showed off her original clothing items which we passed round, they were very intrigued by the undies and various other bits like the baby's cloth nappy and other bit's and bobs. We moved on to the importance of morale during wartime with the cinemas and dance halls and then showed them how to do a 1940's mass participation dance (stroll) followed by us thrashing a Jive out to Woody Herman's "At the Woodchoppers Ball". We also covered the importance of remembrance and our recent additions to the town memorial.

It went down very well and the children, teachers and parents had made a really good effort to give the kids the 40's look, plenty of flat caps for the lads and ankle socks for the girls. They seemed to enjoy what we put on so there is a chance that something might have been learnt from our visit.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I went to Tesco today - a bit of excitement. I wondered if I could video it. Here it is, ten minutes of tedium. :smile:

Tripps goes to TESCO
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian. what a good thing to do....
Tripps, you should get out less!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Tripps wrote:I went to Tesco today - a bit of excitement. I wondered if I could video it. Here it is, ten minutes of tedium.
I had to fast forward through the frightening bits...

It's not often that I step foot through the door of a Tesco, but when we camp in Cornwall, one of our first acts is to stock up on camp kitchen... and the nearest supermarket is... you've guessed...

I have to confess to owning some slave labour tee-shirts from the store (my favourite one of which - 'San Diego Sun' - was stolen when the Beach was broken into this year.)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

What I'll mainly be doing is attending my first meeting of Lancashire's Health and Wellbeing Board (I was holidaying in Cornwall when the last one was held in July...).

Yesterday, it took the best part of 3 hours (three hours... grrr!) to print off the 182 page agenda and supporting papers (don't tell me about laptops - I like to scrawl on the reports; and I refuse to read so many pages on screen. Old dog and all that, I wouldn't take it in.)

I may also be looking for a fresh PC and printer today...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

David Whipp wrote:
I may also be looking for a fresh PC and printer today...
So might I, nowt wrong with my printer but the main PC seems to wanting to go into meltdown. Not had a proper look yet but the beep codes seem to suggest that the mainboard is toasted. Oh dear! :sad:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

David Whipp wrote:I may also be looking for a fresh PC and printer today...
David, Pluggy (Stephen Taylforth) built my PC for me and very good it is too. Being an ex-Navy man, he builds them to Dreadnought standard! As you'll know he built Stanley's super-fast machine too. I guess Ian will build his own.

Tripps, on your car journey I was waiting for the meteor to burst in front of you but I must have missed it. :wink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good to see you all enjoyed that so much. Don't say I didn't warn you it was tedious.
Anyway - its Tripps goes to Cambridge tomorrow. That's about 30 minutes. Bet you can't wait. :smile:

PS is it just me that has the lowercase w a bit faint. If this was a typewriter, I'd be reaching for the Blutack to clean the key. Perhaps it's been over used by people typing www and has worn out? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote:Good to see you all enjoyed that so much. Don't say I didn't warn you it was tedious.
We haven't had so much excitement since the day Grandma's glass eye fell into the goldfish tank!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Bob has built a few computers over the years, but he doesn't have the time now.
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I did it for a living for 9 years when I was self employed.

Strange error codes from this Gygabyte motherboard though. Sounds more like a key stuck error when the buffer is full (but they don't deck the machine). Will have to look this one up on't t'ininternet. Definitely not one of the standard beep codes.

5 minutes later:

Looks like a memory / slot error. bit of swapping around needed.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, do a bit of lateral thinking. Have a word with Pluggy and get him to come up with a price for building FM4, reckon up how much having the FM3 would be worth to you and let me know what the difference would be. That way I could get an upgrade, you could get a fast machine and we all gain. You need a good machine to help you with the site. I would not be greedy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tempting Stanley but not really necessary. The swapping / re-seating of ram looks to have sorted it. I have three machines anyway and the site admin is not really a case of requiring massive processing power. The weak link in the process is the speed of the FTP link when doing major stuff with the site and there's not a lot anyone can do about that short of redesigning the protocol and the (in the main), copper based infrastructure that carries it.

I do most of the site admin from my lowly laptop anyway, so today, in-between Finlay stuff I will mainly be sticking the covers back on and reinstalling the tower where it lives.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Colne Library this morning.
Ian, I can't resist asking if you and Sally might consider doing your 1940's talk for the History Society at some point? It sounds wonderful!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Research Wendy, or do you work there?
Gloria

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”