Today I shall be Mainly...

hartley353

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by hartley353 »

Marilyn, The easiest thing in the world to make is sloe gin. You just collect the berries, (old timers say not to pick till they have endured one frost) then wash well give them a good pricking with a needle. A purist may use a blackthorn thorn, then bottle them with a measure of sugar and a pint of cheap Gin. Keep shaking the bottle daily for a couple of weeks, then weekly for a couple of months then sieve/filter into clean bottles. To get round waiting for the frost I freeze then thaw the berries this allows the flavour and colourings to escape easily with the help of the sugar. Just looked on net plenty of recipes with quantities. Then enjoy when you want a warming nip. Same process for those who wish Vodka based, all the duties have been paid so nothing illegal, probably not wise to buy Vodka from corner shop due to large number of fake bottles in this country.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I don't know what 'sloe' are...perhaps we don't have them here.
I did take quite a few pics of things I couldn't identify growing in the hedgerows.
I shall look for pics on the net.
( as I say, our councils take a dim view on hedgerow growth and tend to poison the lot. I guess all untamed growth is a brushfire hazard. Things may dry out and act as tinder.)

There is a possibility we could make a life-changing move to a country location next year. The thought of having a set up like River Cottage is terribly exciting to me. Might even own a pair of Wellington boots for the first time in my life (think a pair with colourful Jelly Bean pattern would suit nicely).
Am beginning to check out planting calendars etc, and researching such delights as compost.
( hubby finds this quite amusing)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Wow Maz, sounds like an exciting prospect! Jelly Bean wellies too.... :surprised:
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

(Frittering my time away, if I'm not careful - blasted facebook, gone quarter past 9 already.)

Sorting out detail of lantern making for Switch On (9th November) and helping with DNA marking against burglars.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Do you think the Jelly Bean Wellingtons perhaps a bit OTT, Wendy?
( the place we are looking at is 77 acres. I figured I need to be visible from a distance!). :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

77 acres....that's real farming! Tell us more....is it grassland or forest or both? Do you need wellies in Australia? I like to dress brightly when I'm out and about, just in case I need rescuing by helicopter.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ha! Mostly virgin scrubland I think Wendy, with river frontage. There is a house. There are sheds.
Hopefully there are water tanks/storage.
Keeping an open mind until we take a look later in the week. Not expecting too much, but the actual location is attractive to us. Certainly enough space to grow all our needs.
Given that such a lifestyle attracts me and I have a husband who would prefer to live in an inner city apartment ( with pool and gym and a glitzy nighttime skyline to admire).....could be an interesting viewing!,,,, :grin:

I would have thought any outfit with high-viz stripes and lots of Velcro would be suitable for helicopter rescue....I did have to read that line of your post twice because I thought you said you liked to dress "LIGHTLY" in case of helicopter rescue. I was beginning to imagine all sorts of reasons for that.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sounds like it could be a challenge Maz....you thinking of getting another man in to do all the work???? :confused:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Might have to. :embarassed:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

77 acres, that's a lot of lawn mowing Maz! Oh, I forgot, you have sheep instead of lawn mowers in Oz...how many sheep have you got? Will you have one of those little windmills to draw up water? (Thinks...must stop reading Nevil Shute novels.)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Today I picked up our dry cleaning what a price had to pay for it with my credit card now I know why I look for things with washable labels Eileen
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Grrrrrr....hubby has cancelled the viewing. ( no negotiating with him either).
I am disappointed. He was the one that suggested we view it in the first place.
Men can be so frustrating....
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What a disappointment for you Maz....hope you didn't buy the wellies. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen, you are right! My friend Susi used to refer to it as "Buying your clothes again from the cleaners". Mind you, I daren't wash any of my tweeds!
Today will be peeing in a bottle and getting a blood sample taken before Diabetes Clinic a week later.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hadn't bought the Wellingtons, luckily.
Am still feeling a bit miffed with his lordship, as it was all his idea.
I will feel better after a couple of hours hard graft in the garden I expect. (Always do)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Did he know you were already choosing your country wardrobe Maz, or had you managed to hide your excitement at the thought of a move out of town? Were you given good reasons for the cancellation? You don't have to answer.....I'm just feeling miffed for you :frown: if not :furious:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It is complicated on so many levels, Wendy.
Years ago, my first husband literally got up one morning and decided we were moving to the country...we sold up in a heartbeat, found a lovely spot, and rented for over 18 months whilst a home was built. I took to the country like a duck to water...established a wonderful garden and thrived on the lifestyle. He got up one morning and decided we were moving back to the city. It was a real wrench.
Many years later, second hubby decides to view a country house.
Let's just say it is best he doesn't mess with my head. I already know I could move to the country and I don't appreciate being teased.
Mind you...must keep things in perspective. We were only booked in for a viewing! ( the problem is all mine and I accept that). I think it is wise that he doesn't make such silly suggestions in the future. ( and I don't think he will).

I have found my happy thoughts again...all is well.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good...I think we may be quite similar in our coping strategies! :grin:
Rain today, so I'm sorting through some piles of neglected paperwork, trying to find out how much (or little :smile: ) money we have spent over the last year. But I might just go out for a walk instead.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Still on jury duty
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Lass Maz! Sensible attitude, David is a lucky man!
Today I shall not be putting those bloody eye drops in.... Three weeks since the operation. Yippee!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Colne library morning....always happy to look things up if anyone needs any research doing. I failed on the paperwork project yesterday, did some washing, made onion soup for lunch (with cheese on toast..yum) and then I spread some manure on the raised beds in the polytunnel while the rain came and went.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wendy, anything in the Crowther papers on the Kippax family of Briercliffe/Nelson/Colne. I know there isn't much, and what there is has no proof to it :sad: Unless you can see something. I have got back to Joshua (1769) all proven, and then I "think" James (1719) but really only by the fact I cannot find another it could be, then back through a series of Edwards. But, I have never looked in the deeds.

Yesterday we went to see Captain Philips based on a true story of a container ship whose captain is taken by Somalian pirates-----riveting, I would advise anyone to go see it.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Starting work on an Ark if this rain doesn't stop. Two morning outings cancelled now.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Will see what I can find Gloria.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There isn't much in the Kippax file Gloria. A photocopy of pedigree starting with James Kippax b 1731 of Hollingrove Nr Colne married Susan Nutter and died in 1769.
Christine Bradley at the library assures me that all Doreen's pedigrees are based on research from primary sources.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”