Changes

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Changes

Post by Stanley »

One other small thing, the thanks button on postings have vanished. It was a useful way of signifying a post had been noted without cluttering the topic up with another post.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The pages look a lot better to me, simple, more elegant. I noticed, like Ian, the problem with the `go to last post icon' - in fact on my screen it was so small that I thought it had been lost altogether.

Like Stanley, I always go straight to the Active Topics page because I find the Board Index of very limited use. But could we have the Active Topics page made available to access when not logged in please? I often want to have a quick look at that page without needing to log in but it hasn't been accessible as a guest in the last OG version (but it was accessible as a guest in the version before that).
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:One other small thing, the thanks button on postings have vanished. It was a useful way of signifying a post had been noted without cluttering the topic up with another post.
If all it's meant to signify is that a post has been noted then perhaps the button should be called something other than `Thanks' (and is such acknowledgement necessary anyway?). From the way it's used I thought it was meant to signify agreement with what the poster has posted or gratitude for help given. Not that I use it much - I'd rather clutter up the topic! :grin:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes...agree...the 'go to the last post' of a particular post icon is a bit small....especially on my ipad mini!
Strangely, from my end, it seems to take longer for the topic to come up once this icon is pressed, and I have to press it twice even though it has highlighted and I know that it has got the command. ( I wait and wait but press it again just to be sure)
Not complaining. I will get used to it.
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

I cannot see pics. on the forum "not authorised to view" ?
bodger
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks button was a mod Stanley along with lots of all the other small niceties now swept away. You mentioned in another post about the general membership being able to view the Admin forums, I have just checked and the permissions are the same so they should still be hidden. I will check this afternoon. I have to go to work shortly.

Bodge, permissions are not set up properly yet on the albums. I will get to this in the afternoon when I get home from work.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I also know about the last post icon, it can be fixed, I have a copy of the larger version.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote:I have to go to work shortly.
You mean you work as well as do all this OG stuff? :juggle:
Only joking! Thanks to all of you for the effort and diligence you put in to making OG a great forum! :thankyou:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian has disabled registration so I can go out for a walk mow. We've been deleting spam posts all morning....
These things are just teething problems and given time and patience will be sorted out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

All change! Some pictures not appearing, I'm sure that they'll re-appear
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I may be missing something ....which would be very likely :grin:. I can see that we don't have permissions set to view photos, but there doesn't seem to be any photos or even albums in the gallery.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Not a complaint, just an observation--- mine seems super quick or very slow.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
SlowFox

Post by SlowFox »

Pluggy wrote:The Arcade and Portal will cease to exist
Oops.

While I have rather been a cadger in this forum, I still enjoyed the arcade for about a year - and now it's gone. Bad luck, and as I don't know the slightest thing about Barnoldswick, I don't have too many reasons to stay here. Perhaps someone of the few people who had (the sometimes perhaps questionable) fun to take up with me (stew? Gloria?) knows a another place which is about as comfortable?

Greetings from Vienna, Slowfox.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Wendyf wrote:I may be missing something ....which would be very likely :grin:. I can see that we don't have permissions set to view photos, but there doesn't seem to be any photos or even albums in the gallery.
This is a result of no permissions being set Wendy. I'm back from work and will sort it shortly. Guests have permission at the moment so all the images are still there.
Ian
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Ian, Thank You, bodger
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Permissions are now restored on all Gallery Images, they should be displaying correctly in the Gallery and in posts. Report any glitches please.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

SlowFox wrote:
Pluggy wrote:The Arcade and Portal will cease to exist
Oops.

While I have rather been a cadger in this forum, I still enjoyed the arcade for about a year - and now it's gone. Bad luck, and as I don't know the slightest thing about Barnoldswick, I don't have too many reasons to stay here. Perhaps someone of the few people who had (the sometimes perhaps questionable) fun to take up with me (stew? Gloria?) knows a another place which is about as comfortable?

Greetings from Vienna, Slowfox.
I would love to know one, doesn't need a load of games, just something to keep my ageing brain cells working.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'm convinced I posted in here this morning, but I was in a hurry so maybe not.

Wow, this board is fast. It was worth getting rid of all the addons just for the speed increase, although that didn't enter into the equation when I/we were considering 'doing it'. I've been at work today (regular work day on Fridays) and Panbiker has been ironing out some of the chnageover glitches with the developer in my absence. I'm impressed if nobody else is. :)
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Pluggy wrote:...
Wow, this board is fast. It was worth getting rid of all the addons just for the speed increase, although that didn't enter into the equation when I/we were considering 'doing it'. I'm impressed if nobody else is. :)
I was impressed yesterday but today it as slow as treacle flowing uphill. Does that have anything to do with images being available again? Is this what happened to Gloria?
Gloria wrote:Not a complaint, just an observation--- mine seems super quick or very slow.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed some delays at times yesterday but at this time of year with heavy online shopping this might be a function of the server. The site has always been fast enough for me but that might be because of my OS and system, everything is fast and you only really notice the slow posts. Gallery is back I'll be using it and will report back.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

It is fast again, so please disregard my previous post. Perhaps the server was backing up or something when I tried to access it.
LizG

Post by LizG »

It's greatly improved from where I sit. Thank you one and all for the great work.
Liz
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's been fast for me since the changes were made. Perhaps the slowness seen by some members is not OG but the speed of their broadband varying in line with bandwidth usage by other people using the same ISP's server. I think you probably did post a message and have it vanish, Pluggy. I had a post do the same yesterday morning and I've just put a message in another thread querying someone's reply because I can't find the original post they have `quoted'. Perhaps our posts are so good that they're being stolen!

EDIT: The system has logged me out several times!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Everything is hunky-doorie this end. Thanks all, looks great. Just missing the thankyou button but I understand it doesn't exist anymore
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I did post and it didn't lose it, I overlooked it so there wasn't anything lost, its second to last on the 3rd page of this thread.

It logged me out a couple of times yesterday too but I assume because the developer and Ian were tidying up the loose ends and would have been in the admin Panel, the system logs are full of board resets and other stuff that would cause user log outs.

We are and have been since January 2012 on a shared server, which hosts us and about 65 other websites, there are going to be times when it will slow down when stuff is happening on the other sites. The original OGFB was running on a dedicated Windows Server, which was costing Doc a small fortune in hosting costs. It was unsustainable, I wouldn't have taken it over back then because it would have cost me a fortune. At the moment, the donations cover the running costs, and over 12 months I'll recoup what its costing to have the board repaired and tidied up. I'm not getting rich from OGFB if anyone thinks otherwise.

Everything that is 'missing' was a mod/addon on top of the basic phpbb software. It was a nightmare to maintain, I was shocked the first time I saw inside the Admin Panel, Many of the Mods were out of date and were no longer being maintained, so it was impossible to get the software up-to-date without changes, on top of that the database was broken and Ian and I were loathe to make too many changes ourselves for fear of breaking it altogether.

There are only 2 addons now (There were about 60 I think), one is the Gallery which was considered to important to lose and the 'fancy' post editing software, which I convinced was essential so it wasn't too unfamiliar to users. I will firmly resist any more, I am and always was a big subscriber to the 'KISS' (Keep It Simple, Stupid) philosophy. And a up until a few days ago it was anything but simple.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”