WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Twinkletoes

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Twinkletoes »

What attracted my attention today was the lovely glossy brochure that landed on my door mat this morning. A lovely insight to all the local shops and their owners. What a lovely way to promote Barnoldswick town.
Gearce

Post by Gearce »

Not today but last night on TV I watched Hetty Wainthropp Investigates and she found the man she was looking for in Barnoldswick
To quote ANONYMOUS
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley why is it the less the undergarment covers the higher the price ? ( Things have never been the same since the make do and mend days of recycling used silk parachutes )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whippy, One of the great mysteries of the universe....
What grabbed me was the fact I walked up to Letcliffe in the sunshine with minimal pain and no pain killers. A real sense of achievement! There was a view to die for, snow on the tops in the Dales and very clear.
Chris Huhne and ex-wife in court this morning.
Just back from morning walk, light before 7am, wonderful!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Apart from the fact that the Ann Summers ads are getting a little repetitive,

The volunteers delivering the Visit Barlick booklet only did Stanley's side of the street yesterday :sad:
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

Stanley wrote: .................
Just back from morning walk, light before 7am, wonderful!
What attracted me was the apparent time warp in the Barnoldswick area.
A posting at "Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:15 am" containing the daylight situation three hours ahead.
...or is it yet another gift......precognition?????
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

If anyone else wants to volunteer to deliver book they are welcome to make contact on Friday down in Town Square , helps get the area done more quickly ( I cannot owing to health condition ).

Speaking of Town Square Mini-Marquee up. Seeing as this gets up and down with expensive regularity how about digging out under the flags and getiing a literal pop-up tent(thinks Tracy Island and Thunderbird 1 ). visitbarnoldswick.co.uk in residence ( 60 u tube views to date of writing ) , along with some heathly eating thing , Tesco proposal mini display and comments and comments on the War Memorial relocation.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A new book by my Mate Chris Aspin arrived in the post. He came across a lone reference to Arkwright waterframes in Portugal, chased it up and found a little known seam of textile history that deserved attention. Result? A small book packed with good research and references, Good contribution to the subject. ( It's called 'The Decoy', published by The Helmshore Local History Soc. and is a story of industrial espionage, smuggled machinery and similar shenanigans. Brilliant!)
Moh asked a question about the sidebar restricting her page space and I pointed her to the small blue arrow at the head of the bar. I hadn't used it till then because I have a wide screen but I switched the sidebar off and when you log out the site remembers your settings and it is gone until you bring it back by clicking on the arrow again. A small thing but it could be useful to donors with a small screen. I say donors because I assume it won't work to zap the adverts.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I had never seen the side panel adverts since the changeover. Having now seen how to switch them on and off via the little blue arrow, I now understand what has been annoying some members. They annoy me too, especially the flashing bingo numbers lottery ad. The other ads though, have very little impact, during normal site use. Would this awareness of the blue arrow encourage members who are abstaining to come back? I hope so.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Oh Tripps, that's really good news! Thanks!
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Oh Tripps I just pressed the thumbs up so that i could thank you that way too, and it has left your "thumbs up" thumbs down so that to anyone reading it it look like someone doesn't like your post....sorry!
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Belle, the thumbs down icon is only visible to only you once you have clicked on the thumbs up, this is so that you can take back your thanks that you originally gave...should you so wish.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Is it the library computers or is the new visit Barnoldswick website quite slow?

I gave up as the computer first laboured and then froze,

Deeply underwhelmed by the book too. Excellent content, the map looks wrong, but a missed opportunity?
Gearce

Post by Gearce »

Just had a quick look ...... 289 registered members ...... 18 donors :question:
To quote ANONYMOUS
I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gearce, you chase them! I see your donation got through.....
Tried the arrow when not logged in and it still zaps the sidebar. Would it bugger everything up if the default on the portal was sidebar off? Might make us more attractive to non-members....
What grabbed me yesterday was how much better I feel now that the Xmas cold has gone. My immune system must still be OK!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

It is light enough to work outside at 06.45. How the days are drawing out now, excellent. Dog hair and dust removal required in the living room and then clearing the top of the cupboard in the dining room and then the hallway needs a whole lot of work done on it. We have not recovered from our floods in 2010 yet, the flooring has not been replaced so I need to clear the room to get on with it. Any ideas on what to do with the contents of 5 six foot book cases in the mean time?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Jules.... Get a local bookseller to make you an offer. Failing that, local charity shop. Or you could put them in plastic bags and leave them in public places for strangers to pick up and perhaps read.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Cannot bear to get rid of one. We started a book shelf down the pub to reduce the numbers in the house, this is a take a book away, bring one back sort of offer. A free bookswap if you like.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Gearce, twas ever the case. I suspect we have a lot more donors now than ever before. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Gearce

Post by Gearce »

Nolic, that may be so but wouldn't it be good to see the progress bar creep, albeit slowly, towards the end
To quote ANONYMOUS
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News that my pension goes up £6 a week on April 1st. They bit the bullet and kept their promise about the linkage with Inflation in October when it was over 5%. Biggest pay rise I have had since 2000!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

....I haven't had my first pension payment yet (Due on 1st March) and I get a raise ,already ...my life !
...I had a significant Birthday recently , but nobody noticed (blub) ........ I think it was during "the interregnum".Ha.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Tardis wrote:Is it the library computers or is the new visit Barnoldswick website quite slow?

I gave up as the computer first laboured and then froze,
Hi There,

Not sure what the computers are like, but we have made some changes to how the site displays the social network buttons.. It was displaying 10 profiles at once and had to call 3 social network buttons for each event! This slowed the page refresh down quite a bit :)

The social network buttons have been moved to the second tab and only call the server when the tab contents are revealed.

This has resulted in a big speed increase :)

FYI we are putting the finishing touches to the RSS feed so that whenever a new entry is approved onto the site, it will automatically populate the RSS feed, so hopefully the owners of this site could embed it somewhere on here..

Regards

Bryan

ps: this is my first post on One Guy from Barlick! :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Bryan, and welcome to the site.

I'm sure Doc will comment on your post in due course. Congratulations by the way on the new site it looks very good. We are still in the tweaking stages on here as well as this version of the site has only been running for 4 weeks. I can probably see some reciprocal linking on the horizon.

We already have sections on here which may be of interest to you also in the What's Happening Locally group which you can see from the main Forum page.

Have a browse around and feel free to join in.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Brian, welcome to the OGFB website.

I will be more than happy to subscribe to your RSS feed, and likewise you are more than welcome to use our feeds on your site.

If you need anything from us then please drop me a line.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”