Oradour sur Glane

melteaser

Oradour sur Glane

Post by melteaser »

I remember, a few years ago, that there was a discussion about Oradour sur Glane. I think Panbiker may have started it? I tried to search the site for the original topic but soon realised it would be in the archive and didn't know where to start with that....

Anyway, for those who were involved/interested in the original topic, I have just read this news article bearing todays date

Fresh charge over Oradour atrocity
http://www.connexionfrance.com/Oradour- ... ticle.html
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Oradour sur Glane

Post by Tizer »

Mel, I tried a search but found only one post by Thomo and nothing more. It's easier to put it here as a screenshot...

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Is that where you have your "Place in the Sun" Mel?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

An interesting article Mel, on an infamous incident.

The original post on the old site was indeed mine, the topic was called "Remember" which is the sentiment of the notice on the entrance to the martyred village. The topic was a recollection of my visit there in 2005 along with the series of photographs I took at the time. Here is the entrance to the original village site which has been preserved exactly as it was found after the events of 1944.

This is the church where the SS perpetrators locked all the women and children of the village inside and then set on fire by pouring petrol through the windows followed by hand grenades. Once alight, the temperature inside the building was so hot it melted the bell from the tower which can still be seen as a molten lump on the floor of the church.

A very evocative place to visit, somewhere I will never forget, sad that the full topic is no longer available in the archive. I seem to recall it got quite a bit of feedback and a lot of hits.
Ian
melteaser

Post by melteaser »

We are about 3 hours south of Oradour Gloria.

we visited a year or two after Panbiker, it was somewhere we had passed often and were aware of but had never visited. Hard to put into words the thoughts and emotions felt when visiting.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Off topic posts moved to a more suitable thread here:

Where would you like to live
Ian

Return to “Miscellaneous History Topics”