WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Bryan

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Bryan »

Thanks for the welcome.. I've been 'lurking' for a while :)

I've heard nothing but good reports about the 'community' you have going here, it's excellent.

I really felt for you when you had the server issues and had to push ahead with the new site early, I'm sure you were a bit stressed by it all! We are still finding little issues and will continue to keep ironing them out as we go..

Maybe a good idea would be if someone from OneGuy registers and fills out a 'group' profile on the 'community' section of visit barnoldswick website? That way you can introduce what this site is and maybe a little bit of history on how it all came about, the number of users from all over the world etc..

Also put links back to here, contact details etc..?

We plan to film several little local stories in the coming months so maybe we look at doing an on camera interview with the creators and produce a piece on One Guy?

I would certainly be up for doing it.

Will let you know when the RSS feed is up

Regards

Bryan
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Bryan wrote:Thanks for the welcome.. I've been 'lurking' for a while :)

I've heard nothing but good reports about the 'community' you have going here, it's excellent.

I really felt for you when you had the server issues and had to push ahead with the new site early, I'm sure you were a bit stressed by it all! We are still finding little issues and will continue to keep ironing them out as we go..

Maybe a good idea would be if someone from OneGuy registers and fills out a 'group' profile on the 'community' section of visit barnoldswick website? That way you can introduce what this site is and maybe a little bit of history on how it all came about, the number of users from all over the world etc..

Also put links back to here, contact details etc..?

We plan to film several little local stories in the coming months so maybe we look at doing an on camera interview with the creators and produce a piece on One Guy?

I would certainly be up for doing it.

Will let you know when the RSS feed is up

Regards

Bryan
I've added OGFB, for consideration, as a community website, on the visitbarnoldswick website. If anyone has any objections let me know and I'll request it is removed.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No problems here Kev. A good idea and let's hope it has an effect. We could be one of the best reasons to visit Barlick!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Big Kev wrote:I've added OGFB, for consideration, as a community website, on the visitbarnoldswick website. If anyone has any objections let me know and I'll request it is removed.
I've 'tweaked it slightly and added the 'walking man' logo?

If you log back in you will see what i've done and if you like the changes, maybe you could look at adding up to six additional images that would help attract visitors to the site?

Regards

Bryan
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Attached is the BMA (doctor's Union) entering the debate on organ donation within the NHS.

I got sent it over the weekend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

If the labels are to be believed, then there are new Lime Trees (broad leaved) on the Green. I didn't go across and look at the ones behind the bus shelter but they do look like beech. Quite a mess made by the digger, and they are a bit wobbly :surprised:

Wonder what they did with all the daffodil bulbs they planted there last year? :confused:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Bryan wrote:
Big Kev wrote:I've added OGFB, for consideration, as a community website, on the visitbarnoldswick website. If anyone has any objections let me know and I'll request it is removed.
I've 'tweaked it slightly and added the 'walking man' logo?

If you log back in you will see what i've done and if you like the changes, maybe you could look at adding up to six additional images that would help attract visitors to the site?

Regards

Bryan
Hi Bryan, I'd best leave the choice of pictures to the members of the site. I'd be biased and just upload my own. If people could let me know what they would like uploaded (to the visitbarnoldswick) site I'll get it sorted.

Cheers
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, I can't see anyone arguing with a choice made by you.
Love the way the Walking Man strides across the old Barnsey Mill site when it is the header pic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'll get it sorted as soon as proper tinternet is back up. 3G is OK but it keeps dropping out...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Saturday . local supermarket promoting pancake day , today Shrove Tuesday , batter mix hidden away in the baking alise, ( yes I have forgotten receipe).

New OGFB icon on browser tab ? - It was blue hut , then the S ? reappeared now a little box with initals in , looks ok.

Cannot find OGFB on visitbarnoldswick ? , but on their whats on (Things to Do ) , Chip Week
Type: Food & Drink Venue: Chubbys Chippy From: 20th February 2012 11:30am To: 25th February 2012 8:00pm
Description: To promote chip week Chubbys Chippy will be giving out free starch cards to all customers this week for your chance to win free chips, also there will be vouchers in the sun newspaper on Friday to get free chips.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Whyperion wrote:Saturday . local supermarket promoting pancake day , today Shrove Tuesday , batter mix hidden away in the baking alise, ( yes I have forgotten receipe).
4oz Plain Flour, 1 x Egg, 1 x pinch salt, 1/2 pint milk.

Whisk or beat etc, pour, cook however, pancakes, Yorkshire puds, toad in't thole.

Enjoy.
Ian
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hi There,

Just to let you know the Visit Barnoldswick RSS feed 'should' be working.. :-)

http://www.visitbarnoldswick.co.uk

If you could let me know if there are any issues with it..

Regards

Bryan
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Free chips at Chubbys that will get everybody rushing down the chipshop. Great name for a chip shop, too. Some chubby folk no doubt seen there !!! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The constant rain, good for the water supply and it could have been snow of course but nevertheless a bit miserable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Whyperion wrote: Cannot find OGFB on visitbarnoldswick ?
You won't do yet, they're waiting for me to upload some pictures (see previous posts above)...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Your Community Group "OneGuyFromBarlick " has been approved and is now listed on http://www.visitbarnoldswick.co.uk.

You can view your Community Group here: http://www.visitbarnoldswick.co.uk/comm ... unityid=21
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I have just enabled the visitbarnoldswick.co.uk sites RSS feed and it should now be posting every hour in the "what's Happening Locally" section of the forums.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Whet caught my attention today was when I visited the Rainhall Centre in Barnoldswick this afternoon where a Jobs Fair was being held with a promise of more than 20 local companies in attendance.

Companies set to return to the Rainhall Centre for this fair include Rolls-Royce, Hoseasons, Lonsdales, Skipton Building Society, Tesco, Job Centre Plus and the Army. New attendees will include Matalan, Carson Filtration, Rapid Recruitment, on behalf of Silentnight, and Mitchell Farrer.

On arrival at the centre I signed in full of expectation only to find that most of the above companies were not present or represented with the exception of the Skipton Building Society, Reeds Recruitment & Hoseasons. The majority of the stall holders were recruitment agencies, training organisations and volunteer groups.

I felt a big wave of disappointment at the total lack of support from the local companies mentioned above, especially as a friend of mine had travelled specifically all the way from Bolton with a hope of visiting the Rolls Royce stand.

What a Shame, it could have been so much better...
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Doc wrote:I felt a big wave of disappointment at the total lack of support from the local companies mentioned above, especially as a friend of mine had travelled specifically all the way from Bolton with a hope of visiting the Rolls Royce stand.

I believe RR are only employing through an agency at the moment, you'd have thought they would have put on a worthwhile show, though. As you say, what a shame...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Big Kev wrote:
Doc wrote:I felt a big wave of disappointment at the total lack of support from the local companies mentioned above, especially as a friend of mine had travelled specifically all the way from Bolton with a hope of visiting the Rolls Royce stand.

I believe RR are only employing through an agency at the moment, you'd have thought they would have put on a worthwhile show, though. As you say, what a shame...
I believe that the majority of the problem may have been down to the Job Fair organised at the Muni a couple of weeks ago by the Nelson and Colne students through Andrew Stephenson. Many said they did not want to duplicate things.

I also wonder whether the Rainhall Centre is actually big enough for the scope of such an enterprsie when obviously the Muni is much better, and even here the Civic Hall would have provided more space.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you are unemployed, the nearer the venue is to home the better. If an employer is serious it doesn't need a lot of effort to attend all the fairs. At the very least they could be taking the names of those interested to know about any vacancies.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

In an ideal world I would suggest that Stanley too.

The problem is simply the amount of people who apply for each job.

Even when I was a store manager, we used to get 30-40 a week when we didn't advertise

Think what it is like when you have a job which people actually want. I've heard of HR departments having to wade through thousands just to select maybe 10 for interview.

It is an employers market at the moment
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

An old mystery solved this morning. When I was driving I occasionally passed a large ruin that stuck out like a sore thumb in the fields and it always intrigued me. I heard a reference last night on TV, looked it up this morning and it's Torksey Castle. See this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torksey_Castle
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

This article, min last week's Craven Herald, caught my attention http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/leisure/a ... tics_role/
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No heating needed, stove not lit till 4pm and it was still alight even though it had not been fired for 34 hours. Not much to grumble about there and a sign that we are moving out of winter.
David Mills (Tessa Jowell's husband) is the focus in court in Italy again over the allegation he was paid by Berlusconi to give false evidence.
Private Eye arrived. As usual lots of depressing investigative reporting that will be picked up on by other media and reported as 'exclusive'. Very good that PE is now taken seriously and used as a source by MPs in committees. Margaret Hodge is an avid reader and believes them..... Good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”