Where Have You Just Been?

Bruff
Avid User

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by Bruff »

Well it was last week, but I came up to Barlick to take my mum out for the day. She did the picnic, I brought the flask. Seems fair......ahem. Anyway the trip was:

Up to Threshfield and then on to Kettlewell and then up Starbotton and Hubberholme to Hawes. From Hawes we went over Buttertubs to Muker and then to Askrigg and to Semer Water via Bainbridge. We had the picnic at the Water. Then off back to Hawes, from there over to Ribblehead and then over Halton Gill to Arncliffe and to Threshfield to complete the circle and home. Three pints in The Fountaine and a takeaway curry completed the day.

Couple of things. First, it's long time since I've been that far up the Dales and on so comprehensive a drive and really, the Dales are astonishingly beautiful. Second, Askrigg and Bainbridge I thought exceptionally attractive villages.

The world will be treated as the Tour de France comes via these parts, as TV coverage of the event is quite exceptional concentrating on the scenery and sights etc as much as the race.

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan and I are looking forward to the same scenery on the 9th of July when we travel in a steam hauled Pullman dining carriage as 'Premier Dining Class' on the Fellsman. Full English breakfast on the way up and dinner on the way back with a vintage coach trip and a cruise on Ullswater as well. I love that country..... (and the history of the Settle Carlisle line as well.
I remember many years ago I was at Settle Creamery tipping a load of milk when I heard a sound in the distance. You have a good view of Settle and the viaduct from the creamery and sure enough, the Flying Scotsman blasted up through Settle at full chat with about ten coaches, safety valve blowing off and attacking the climb. The fireman knew his job and it was the most marvellous sight you could ask for if you like steam.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Church trip to Cheltenham. While the ladies went shopping me and my pal "sloped" off to do higher things. First Neptune's Fountain. Neptune Link. Interestingly the sculptors were Yorkshire men. Next Rodin's sculpture "The Kiss" in the Wilson Museum.The kiss, LINK. Viewed the new exhibition of modern Art. Interesting but still prefer the old masters. Half a hour in St Gregory's listening to the organist practice. A very ornamental church, lots of carving also the tallest spire in Cheltenham. Finally. fish and chip and a pint. A good day out.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We are doing the same trip on 23rd July Stanley. We have done it before but you fired our interest again, so we booked it. Premier dining is excellent, sit back and enjoy.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We'll warm the seats for you Gloria.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We spent Saturday at the Bath & West Showground, Shepton Mallet, where we attended the Rock & Gem Show for me to indulge my interest in mineral specimens. But at the same time they were running the South West Modellers Show so we popped in there for a look too...and spent the whole afternoon there! There large models of ships, tanks, aeroplanes etc, and some of these were on the move. We were chased by remote controlled tanks, peered into a pool watching a submarine and got a fright when we turned a corner and faced three Daleks! The models on display have become very sophisticated and you had to be ready for all sorts of surprises - you'd be taking a close look at a battleship and a turret would suddenly turn towards you and for a moment you wanted to duck down out the way, just in case. Out on the field, model aeroplanes were flying and these were BIG model aeroplanes. We were most impressed by four WW1 biplanes which could have easily been mistaken for full-size aircraft when flying. And glider, jets and helicopters too! A great day out...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Checking out the bluebells near Ghyll Church and Ghyll Brow.

Has this one gone all Yorkshire?

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

A little research, and it looks like it's gone all Iberian.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

This butterfly was appreciating the bluebells yesterday afternoon.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Sunday was spent in a very busy Harrogate, rounded off with afternoon tea on a booked table at Betty's

I recommend the China Rosa tea
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Sheffield. The Snake Pass was glorious early Saturday with a sharp hoar frost. Ladybower was tranquil with a few fly-fisherman out for the early rise.

Oh and Sheffield was very pleasant as always. An excellent choice of independant shops of all kinds in the Sharrow Vale area.

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I love all those trans-Pennine roads, in my cycling days we used them all, Nont Sarah, Mam Tor (Shaking Mountain, always slipping down into the valley!) and even Winnatt's Pass which I think also qualifies! Owd Betts across to Rochdale is a good one as well. Funny how some were named after the landladies of pubs.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Or pubs, like the Cat and Fiddle, Macclesfield - Buxton. And we always knew the road(s) from Laneshawbridge over to Denholme as 'going over The Herders'.

Richard Broughton
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It still is The Herders in my book Richard, pubs been shut a long time though.
Ian
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Fate of many a pub sadly. Last time I did that route was when I brought my now wife to Barlick for the first time to meet the parent for the same, 18 years ago next month; I was living in Sheffield. We stopped in the pretty pub in Oxenhope set back slightly, whitewashed. Unusual, as I usually stopped at the Ye Olde Silent Inn.

Now if one goes straight on from Lanshawbridge, one goes 'over t'Moss'. Where's that come from?

Richard Broughton
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Bruff wrote:Now if one goes straight on from Lanshawbridge, one goes 'over t'Moss'. Where's that come from?
Aren't you driving over... the Moss? (I thought I could remember the name of the Moss when I started typing this! Sadly not...)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Perhaps because the area round the far side of the Laneshaw reservoir includes, Reedshaw Moss, Middle Moss and Moss Top.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moss was a common term for a waterlogged moor or peat bed. Think Chat Moss.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We went to see Ade Edmondson and The Bad Sheperds at Colne Muni last night. They play "punk classics in the folk style" with Ade on double mandolin and Troy Donockley on uillian pipes (Irish bagpipes). We weren't sure what to expect but it was wonderful!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Burnley......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Haworth 1940's weekend, just for today with both Isla and Finlay suitably attired. I dumped the car in Silsden and the deal was that daughter Carla would run us up to Haworth and pick us up again in exchange for a child free day, offer accepted gladly.

Wall to wall sunshine and Haworth has been rammed for the entire weekend, they will have raised a lot of money for the charities that the event is for, one of which is SSAFA. My dad was secretary of the local branch for 30 years. We managed to meet and catch up with most of our Haworth re-enactment friends and dancing buddies so that was nice. I got quite a few kisses from the girls. :wink: Sandwiches , crisps and Ice creams for the kids who in the main played the game for the day, not much carrying of two year old Finlay at all apart from towards the end of the afternoon when the little lad was flagging a bit. A smashing day on the whole. Missed the Dakota which was scheduled quite early this year.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

France for the last two weeks. We visited Nantes last Thursday and went to the LES MACHINES DE L'ILE. This is a museum where they came up with the original idea on giant mechanised animals . It is unbelievable. They have exhibited on the centre of Liverpool a couple of times.

WWW.lesmachines-nantes.fr
If you keep searching you will find it
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

They are in Liverpool again this year 23 - 27 July as the cultural centrepiece of this country's commemoration and remembrance of the Great War.

The theme will be the Liverpool Pals, the call has gone out for locals to play their full role as 'Pals', puppeteers, etc etc, but the exact story the group will tell is not known. We do know that the Little Girl Giant will 'sleep' in Newsholme Park this time and much of her roaming will be in the Kensington/Edge Lane areas, consistent with last time when the Little Girl and her dog purposely roamed some of the city's more challenging neighbourhoods.

I cannot wait. Two years ago, almost a million people saw the story at some stage and many, many people were reduced to tears.

Richard Broughton
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

My son is currently living in Kensington - next to the street where the real little girl on which the "puppet" is based lived on. He's hoping to see them again this year as he will be going back regularly to see his girlfriend. He was very impressed with the engineering. Wonderful concept and very moving to watch. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Castle Howard. Built for Charles Howard the third Earl of Carlise. Good weather and nice gardens. Without getting into the politics of the past English history the house was well worth the visit. The fact is that the house is here and open to the public. A very enjoyable day out.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”