BARNOLDSWICK HERITAGE WEEKEND 2014

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: BARNOLDSWICK HERITAGE WEEKEND 2014

Post by PanBiker »

Sharing it around Facebook Peter.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Cheers Ian, it all helps. There are still a few patches of fog in respect of the VIP list, and when I shut down tonight, the list will be printed for tomorrow, any unannounced late comers will be at the end of the queue. It is now time for me to get my own stuff ready and try to relax a little, there is not much more that I can Do, I am just a wee bit tired.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The BBC news states that there is concern for the weather at Prestwick, big air show day, they are not the only ones concerned. The event got a plug on radio 2BR at 8.00, to be repeated every hour.
Its time now to get ready and get on with it, rain or otherwise.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The Rainhall Centre are reporting the Lancaster flypast as cancelled due to the weather...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The following is from Facebook:
Marcia Allass Going by the official Twitter, the flypast is postponed until tomorrow due to bad weather over high ground....

As I don't subscribe to Twitter I cannot confirm the validity of this.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Coningsby have the following update, this is also posted on the Visit Barnoldswick Site:

06 September 2014

News articles by date

Unfortunately, due to bad weather at RAF Coningsby, the flying for today has been cancelled. The team have worked hard to reschedule as many events as possible. Subject to weather and aircraft serviceability, the flying for tomorrow for the 2 Lancasters will be as follows:

7th Sep

0900 - Take off from RAF Coningsby
0905 - Flypast Petwood Hotel
0915 - Flypast Kirmington
0920 - Flypast Burton upon Stather
0923 - Flypast Holme on Spalding Moor
0927 - Flypast Elvington
0932 - Flypast Linton
0933 - Flypast Allerton
0938 - Flypast Menwith Hill
0945 - Flypast Barnoldswick
1030 - Flypast Ayr (Beach front location)
1034 - Flypast Prestwick
No change to Portrush
1410 - Flypast Ayr
1446 - Flypast Windermere
1454 - Flypast Morecambe
1503 - Flypast Samlesbury
1504 - Flypast Thwaites
1517 - Flypast Holmefirth
1539 - Flypast Wickenby
1542 - Flypast Ludford Magna
1543 - Flypast Ludborough
1546 - Flypast North Coates
1600 - Flypast East Kirkby
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thanks Ian. This now confirmed for 0945 tomorrow, weather is set fair. The charities should have done well today, app. 30% over the minimum price. The main beneficiaries are:- Help for Hero's, Yorkshire and North West Air ambulance's. Thank you all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a good do. I went outside at 12:26 to check but heard only one single engined plane. Will be out there at 09:45!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Here's the Reverb Factory video of the Lancaster Flypast
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Where do I begin? There is little doubt that despite Saturday's poor weather, the weekend event was a major success and very well attended. It is hoped that it will help to lift Barnoldswick out of what I refer to as "no mans land" and be of benefit to those who care about the town, one town centre trader asked it we could get the BBMF to come every weekend!, it is many years since I saw so many people on Albert Rd. on a Sunday. Today should be a more laid back affair, it will not be so, there are thank you mails to send to the BBMF, Ceres Division, Peter at Whitby and all of the others who made an effort to support us. The book went down well and only 24 remain out of the initial 190, more are coming this week. The 3 chosen charities, Help for Hero's, the Yorkshire, and the North West Air Ambulances did I believe help to sell more at well above the £5 minimum, 1 went this morning for £15 and several over the weekend for £20. There is much to do this morning so I will add more later. The bottom line is, Thank You Barnoldwick, you did us proud.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A message of appreciation has gone to the BBMF with a link to the video attached. Thank you mails have started to arrive from people who attended and were impressed by what they saw. On Saturday the Lifeboat William Riley was blessed by the Reverend Dianne Weaver, a wreath provided by the RBL and embellished with 12 white roses and 3 red ones by House of Flowers, was also blessed, this will be taken to Whitby on the 1st of November and laid upon the wreck of the Rohilla. The Chairman of the Town Council, Mrs. Claire Teall and I will travel to Whitby that day. I will have the honour of taking the wreath to lay on the wreck on behalf of the Council and people of the Town. For this, Peter Thompson MBE of Whitby gave me three choices of boat: the modern Whitby Lifeboat, a second smaller lifeboat, or the William Riley. Peter will be the Coxwain of the William Riley on that day, and I will be at his side unless there is natural interference, in that event we will go on the modern boat. The wreath was given into my care yesterday evening and is now awaiting its centrepiece.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Peter, well done and thanks for all your hard work and dedication that made the weekend go so well, Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Nolic, it is much appreciated. This afternoon we had a visit from a Lady who will be 90 at Christmas, she lives 10 doors away, and was a recipient of a courtesy copy on Saturday as she is a descendant of three of the Rohilla Men lost, and one of the survivors. She has bought a second copy at twice the price and this is going to America. Having always been a practical man, not a scholar, creating the book was a challenge, I was warned that any critics would be the first to comment. This has been true, but I now feel vindicated by a visit here this morning by someone whom I thought would have led the attack. Clutching his copy of the book, he had many questions, yet was full of praise for the effort, he has learned a little more about his family. There are typo's, errors, and at least two omissions, for this I apologise, modern technology is wonderful, but at times things can be inaccurate in translation, many doing this work do not have a good command of the English language and are not acquainted with local knowledge. Very soon now I am going to save all of the good stuff to stick and disc, then I will restore this old computer to its original state, and start all over again. Almost £1000 has been raised for charities since Saturday, the effort will continue.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This old PC is once again a in post factory state, with the digital fluff removed. The aforementioned Lady has taken a further 3 copies, all bound for overseas and again at twice the price, another pensioner bought one yesterday for £20, bless her. The article in the BET claims that I was a chief organiser, this title should go the Council members who put this together, David and Ken in particular. Also mentioned is the Nene engine, apparently replacing the Welland which we did not get as the first engine to enter service. On site interviews are more accurate than articles cobbled together from old information, it was ever thus! Both area TV channels left us back in no mans land, maybe we should declare independence for Pendle. This did not however deter a large number of visitors from coming here. This topic has been useful, but is now almost time expired, as soon as a plan for the future can be roughly drawn up, the work will begin again. The pressure on anything to do with the Military will be great for the next few years, here an approach needs to be done ASAP, exploration of the possibilities has been going on for 3 months now, seek, and ye shall find. There are a fair number of options as yet available, the trick is to get what you can for as little outlay, or better still, no outlay at all, as is possible.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thanks Peter.

I laughed at the picture in the Barlick and Earby where the vicar looks like she's laying an egg...
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Any addenda or omissions from the book I suppose can always be put on-line somewhere.

If anyone requires copies mailing to them, (and are in the mainland UK) I suggest using the collectplus website , people can pay for postage to a place near them, then email the PDF parcel label to the sender , (local agent is Singh's on Gisburn Road when I last looked at the website), and the cost is about a fiver, a bit cheaper than standard parcelforce/royalmail packet rates I believe (sometimes royalmail do have special offers).

Thanks for the effort that all put in for 2014.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I have sent the following to the BET with a request that it is published next week:-

I wish to make it clear that I was not the chief organiser of the recent Heritage Weekend event. The credit for this should go to those dedicated members of Barnoldswick Town Council, who with the best interests of the Town at heart, go to great lengths to achieve success and make an event attractive to the majority. It has been my pleasure to assist them in any way I can, and will continue to do so if required.

Peter Ian Thompson. 13-09-2014
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

But perhaps you'd accept being 'Chief Engineer' Peter?!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Go on then!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I now know that the video by Reverb Factory has been viewed in Cornwall, this from my niece who has a farm there. What I would like, are pictures of the Lancaster's over here, if anyone has some, post them here please. It is now safe I understand to reveal that the aforementioned farm was used for the flight model trials of the new super drone aircraft developed by BAE Systems at Wharton. The "Taranis" named after the Celtic God of thunder has already undergone its test flights, it is pilotless, supersonic and stealth orientated, and Rolls Royce powered. Barnoldswick may be in "no mans land" yet can still be influential on the grand scale of things!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Looking at the anniversaries in 2015/2016 from a Military angle. a selection of possibilities appears:-
2015:- 18-06-1815 The Battle of Waterloo (200). 21-10-1805 The Battle of Trafalgar (210). Battle of Britain day 15-09-1940 (75). V E Day 08-05-1945 (70). V J or Victory day 15-08-1945 (70).
2016:- Battle of the Somme 1st day 01-07-1916 (100). Battle of Jutland 31-05-1916/01-06-1916 (100). 1st Tank on the Somme 15-09-1916 (100). 1st flight of Lancaster Bomber Jan 1941 (75). Loss of Ark Royal 15-11-1941 (75)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Time now to consign this topic to the scrap heap. Work goes on however, and this topic will be replaced by " Future Barnoldswick and local Centenary events". Thank you, over and out.

Return to “Local History Topics”