Minor glitches

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Minor glitches

Post by Tizer »

Not a software bug but a minor glitch for attention when the pressure eases off! Under the `OGFB Site Rules' on this page
http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... 09eed0df65
in the section headed `General Forum Questions' it says "Am I allowed more than one account at Dev Shed?". The term Dev Shed is presumably a carryover from elsewhere and won't be understood by others (including me). Perhaps ""Am I allowed more than one account?" would suffice.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Minor glitches

Post by Doc »

Sorted, Thanks Tiz
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Can Gloria's avatar (witchyhop.gif) be made smaller, otherwise all her posts are going to be long - or do we have to ask her to change the size herself?
Thanks
PS. The design of the site is great and it's a lot smoother to use!

Also...I don't understand the section titled `Off Topic Discussions' because it seems to have a list of the latest active threads - rather like the home page of the old site. It's the title I don't understand - why `off topic'? Otherwise the list is very useful and I would probably bookmark it for regular use (on the old site I always entered via the home page listing of active topics).

One thing I miss (perhaps it's there but I haven't yet found it) is the facility to go straight from a list of threads to the last post in a thread. On the old site, on the home page, I could just click on the `[Last reply]' link at the end of the thread title.
Last edited by Tizer on 24 Jan 2012, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Particularly since it was adamant I reduced mine in size (from 102 * 100) before it let me upload it...... ;)
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I'll sort Gloria out, her avatar was carried over from the old site and didn't go through this sites parameter checking.

I'll change the forum title to General Chat

With regards to the last post in a topic, on the right hand side of the forum "last Post" column, there is a little box with an arrow in it next to the members name, click on that and it will take you directly to the last post rather than the first.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Arcade scores don’t seem to be recorded.
It’s saying that I don’t have Cookies enabled, but I do. Have only tried it in Safari - maybe it’s OK with Firefox or IE.
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I see there’s a Twitter link - how about a Facebook one too?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Facebook would be good, I know quite a few of our members on here are also on FB. Never fancied Twitter.

Tiz, I was going to mention the go to last post feature as well but I just found it by poking around with the mouse. Easy to miss though.
Ian
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

I seem to have lost my spinning balls. I looked in the avatar repository in vain. Does this mean we have had a visit from the vet??
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Callunna wrote:I see there’s a Twitter link - how about a Facebook one too?
There are links to social networking sites on the first posting of a topic, I haven't tried them out yet because I'm not sure what they do - me being a non-facebook/twitter contributor.

I will look into it.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Catty you were right they were not in the gallery, the vet snipped em off and left them on the table after he had gone

my Cat was playing with them, but I rinsed em before posting them here

Another way of getting an avatar into your profile is done like this.

I found this image on the old OGFB website against one of Catty's old posts.

The Link is here http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/arch ... 76/676.gif

I then right clicked on it and selected "Copy Image Url"
Go to your User Control Panel on the top left menu
Select Profile from top choices
Select Avatar from left hand menu
Select upload Url from another site
Paste the Image Url into this box (right click -> Paste)
then click submit
Job Done (that's if the image meets the sites criteria currently 100px x 100px < 12kb)
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I am having trouble with the arcade as well Cal. And, also I have to log in each time I come on as it doesn't recognise me any more.
Sorry about my dancing witch it just arrived like that. :lol: She now appears to have stopped doing her jig.
Keep up the good work Doc you are doing a splendid job sorting the site and us out.
Last edited by Gloria on 24 Jan 2012, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Callunna wrote:I see there’s a Twitter link - how about a Facebook one too?
Now I have added a facebook field/link in your profile, you enter your facebook username in there and submit. Then on every post you make you will see the link under your avatar (or close by)

Enjoy

Or Not

I've just clicked it and it takes me to an unknown page in twitter and facebook doesn't look like it's doing much either.
If it's just me then fine, if it's the same for the rest of you then I'll dig deeper and get it sorted, who knows I might become a facebooking twitterer yet.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

This is what it tells me when I try to submit my arcade score----There was an error reading the session data. Please make sure that you have cookies enabled in your web browser.
I have cookies enabled, I have my glasses on, and I am still nearer the sea than Barlick, but maybe not nearer the sun :lol:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Thanks Gloria

I'm on it :ugeek:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Doc, not sure if this is a glitch or intended, just had a look in games and scrolled down to the last catagory ( always searching for tetris) which is entitled something like misc. The first game described itself as "The stones are live on stage and need some satisfaction" and the avataor seemed to show a topless guitarist, I didn't click on it (not Tetris!) but I rather wondered if you intended it to be there?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for sorting those glitches Doc - I don't know how you manage to cope with us all, it must be like having a family of dozens of kids.
Gloria, I hope you didn't mind me asking Doc to sort your witchy!
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Tizer wrote:Thanks for sorting those glitches Doc - I don't know how you manage to cope with us all, it must be like having a family of dozens of kids.
It might be a sore subject Tiz and she might put a jinx on me as well as yourself, because when I shrank the image down, the animation stopped, I didn't like being reduced. Mmmm Time will tell
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

PMs are acting strangely. As far as I can see a new PM goes through but the reply function doesn't work. You have to compose a new one to send.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm wondering about some of the regular members still absent. Could it be that they haven't picked up the message that they have to re-register? Not everyone reads the small print. A big temporary banner on the home page perhaps?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Doc wrote:
Tizer wrote:Thanks for sorting those glitches Doc - I don't know how you manage to cope with us all, it must be like having a family of dozens of kids.
It might be a sore subject Tiz and she might put a jinx on me as well as yourself, because when I shrank the image down, the animation stopped, I didn't like being reduced. Mmmm Time will tell
Many modern image manipulation programs have lost the ability to handle animated .gif files since it is so seldom used these days. An animated .gif stores a sequence of frames, but since .gif is also used for single frame stills an its a lot easier to do than animation, they just save a single frame. Do a 'google' on 'animated gif editor' to see whats available.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Is it just me or does anyone else think the News Hound part of the website is a distracting, cluttering up feature?

I wouldn’t mind if it was news dedicated solely to Barlick, but I really couldn’t give a monkey’s about Formula 1 drivers or something that happened in another part of the world.

There are plenty of other websites if you want News - so why bog OGFB down? There’s enough happening on here already and the scrolling panel makes it difficult enough to find recent topics without having to sit through stuff with no relevance to me.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Callunna wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think the News Hound part of the website is a distracting, cluttering up feature?
I would tend to agree with H's comment. Would it be possible to have the news bots in a seaparate window maybe at the bottom of the page?
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I was just loading up the news features, but I get your point, I will have to work out a solution where the news bots can post news articles without it appearing in the active topics list. I will turn this feature off until I can get a workable solution.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm with Heather on the news feeds. Can't say anything specific because I haven't looked at them and never will. Life is to short and getting shorter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Feedback”