WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tardis

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tardis »

Someone appears to have stolen the copy of the B&E from the library :surprised:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

You mean they only print one copy these days? Times are hard but....

I normally try to leave interesting papers / journals in the Library now LCC has stopped buying most papers/magazines - is there an official channel I can go through for this ?

Finally either an early april fool or other hoax story but on my yahoo login page - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/doncaster--is- ... light.html Doncaster, West Yorkshire , is supposedly part of Scotland.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Doctors belonging to the BMA preparing to ballot for strike action. This would be in the form of a work to rule or go slow - but wouldn't affect the general public. Just you would probably have to wait an hour after your appointment time before your doctor calls you, so not much difference there then ! :confused:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two US officers shot in the back of the head in what was thought to be one of the most secure locations in Kabul.
Bin Laden's Pakistan compound is being demolished to prevent it becoming some sort of a shrine.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Have you followed the news on the extradition of Christopher Tappin to the USA? The BBC report from 2 days ago is here: LINK
The Times has been campaigning to get MPs to recognise what's happening to the 65-year-old man. Tappin claims be completely innocent but whether he is or not the extradition is inappropriate. It was ordered by a court in El Paso without him even being warned that the court proceedings were taking place, so he couldn't defend himself. The UK government and law agencies have cooperated with the Americans in the extradition and he was flown out on Friday. His witnesses who could defend him are not being allowed to testify by video but they dare not go to the USA for fear of being held there themselves.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... ge-details
I'm sure this will attract the attention of many.
This sort of thing is absolutely beyond the pale.
It even makes Ken Livingston look as though he should be carrying L plates.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

A little light humour from one of my other haunts. Supposedly the Chinese authorities cracking down on trademark abuse.

Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Juliet Gillard trounces Kevin Rudd in the fight for party leadership. Sensible in that they have got this out of the way in time for the next Australian general election. Good!
With the advent of globalisation the whole subject of international arrest warrants and extradition is a mess. It would be good if a person was tried for an alleged crime in their home jurisdiction.
A visit from daughter Susan and a wide ranging conversation. So good to have sensible intelligent kids. Yes, I am smug!
A solid brass fireside companion in the hospice shop for £5. Must see if I can nab it! Can you remember when every wedding produced several such items as presents?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: A solid brass fireside companion in the hospice shop for £5. Must see if I can nab it! Can you remember when every wedding produced several such items as presents?
Bargain, get in there sharpish!
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I bet someone has one throwing around in a shed or garage you could have for nowt!!
Say only a little but say it well.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

In the library, best to go via Karen.
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

This attracted my attention on a web site:-

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, ‘I cannot accept money from you; I’m doing community service this week.’ The florist was pleased and left the shop. When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a ‘thank you’ card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replied, ‘I cannot accept money from you; I’m doing community service this week.’ The cop was happy and left the shop. The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a ‘thank you’ card and a dozen doughnuts waiting for him at his door.

Then an MP came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill, the barber again replied, ‘I cannot accept money from you. I’m doing community service this week.’ The MP was very happy and left the shop. The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen MPs lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.

BOTH POLITICIANS AND NAPPIES NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Got the companion set. Very heavy, someone has made it out of what looks like a heavy brass pipe fitting. I'd say it was 19th century and I shall put a new end on the poker.
Costa Cruises would appear to be accident prone. 600 passengers and 400 crew adrift in the ocean without power due to a fire in the generator room. No immediate danger but would you book a cruise with them?
Judge in the trial over the Gulf Oil spill gives BP another week to negotiate a settlement out of court. The costs involved are telephone numbers. The winners will be the lawyers....
Moh, I'll bet you're right but life is too short.... I once knew a Scottish cattle wagon driver who had three large chrome-plated horseshoes on his radiator grill. He told me they were off unwanted companion sets they had been given as wedding presents.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Remember me going on about the midges and a virus? It's Schmallenberg Virus. See this BBC link for more. Sheep Virus It's more serious than they expected and the worry now is whether it affects cattle and is transferable to humans.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I see in the paper we have the highest taxes on diesel in Europe, 8th higest on unleaded.
Say only a little but say it well.
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Pedants are us noted that "worldwide" is spelled "worlwide" on the front page.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Standards are falling Jules...
Leap Day today. The ladies are allowed to initiate proposals of marriage!
Moh, one of the advantages of chucking driving into touch, you're right, fuel is a horrendous price and I don't know how anyone can afford it. Glad I'm not commuting 40 miles a day to Rochdale!
A lady ran up to me in the street and gave me a kiss. It was daughter Susan about her business. Nice!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

That's a good one, Stanley. "Ladies are supposed to initiate proposals of marriage" - I should be so lucky. I've got no chance of that happening in a month of Sundays. :laugh5: :grin:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My wife proposed to me 32 years ago today. I had nothing else planned at the time so, 14 months later, I took her up on the offer.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You old smoothie Kev! :grin:
James Murdoch scuttling back to the US to avoid the flak. We can survive without him. However, he may not have avoided the consequences of his actions, particularly the cover up of bribery which hasn't really got going yet.
Diabetic clinic today. Hooray for the NHS. ( Should I have a shower?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The policeman blinded when he was shot by Raoul Moat in Cumbria has been found dead. The assumption is suicide. Tragic.
I see that the Costa Allegra has been towed into the Seychelles by a large fishing vessel. I wonder what the salvage rate for that will be? A bit of a windfall for the fishing boat owners I'll bet!
See this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17216437
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Trust you to notice that - so did I. Saw a moving news bar on Sky last night which said the fishing boat refused to allow tugs to take over as they approached the Seychelles. Heard no more about it today except here. If they ask for help, and you get a line aboard it's yours - isn't it ? There'll be some head scratching at Lloyds this mornong.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When the BBC first reported the Costa Allegra trouble they said it was owned by the same company as the Costa Concordia which ran aground recently off Italy. During the same news broadcast they reported on two cruise ships being refused entry to Argentina because they had just been to the Falklands. What the BBC failed to mention is that they too are owned by the same company as the Concordia. In fact half of the market for big cruise ship holidays is accounted for by the same group - the British–American company Carnival Corporation:-

AIDA Cruises, Germany
Carnival Cruise Lines, United States
Costa Cruises, Italy
Cunard Line, United Kingdom
Holland America Line, United States
Ibero Cruises, Spain
P&O Cruises, United Kingdom
P&O Cruises Australia, Australia
Princess Cruises, United States
Ocean Village, United Kingdom. Now defunct.
Seabourn Cruise Line, United States
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

What attracted my attention was the programme on Bradford this evening. A documentary which attempts to explore "multi culturalism" in Britain by bringing together 8 people from different backgrounds.. all classing themselves as British. When on a tour of a stately home to explore British History the two black members of the group asked to see any portraits of black people and seemed to think that the absence of them said something about racism... I couldn't help wondering how many white people born in Africa on a tour of African history would expect the native masks to depict white faces, and see at as a racial slight if they did not? Or whether red headed people would feel slighted if the family portraits did not have an equal amount of redheads in them?
I also couldn't help asking myself if people born in this country considered themselves British,why did they refer to themselves as Asian, as another two kept doing. Then I realised I might be considered racist for even writing this...!
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

I read in one of our daily newspapers that a boy of 7 from Lincolnshire has been told to take down his pirate flag or his parents could face prosecution. East Lindsey District Council says the flag a breach of advertising standards, but they say the lad can put up a St George's flag. Here we have yet another local/district council and their petty mindedness, jobsworths, saying that a little lads toy flag showing a skull and crossbones is a breach of advertising standards. I have never heard such "absolute rot". :surprised:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”