Spring 2015

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spring 2015

Post by Stanley »

Hard cold rain last night at 21:00 and the same this morning. Glass started falling late yesterday and is down to 28.5" this morning. Forecast is for rain all day with an occasional bright spell. Constant cold west breeze and an expected high of 9C but it will never feel better than 5C. Not the best forecast I have ever seen and unseasonably cold as cold air form the north is mixing with the Atlantic low out at sea before it reaches us. Definitely not summer weather!
07:00. We were lucky and hit a gap in the heavy rain. A cold, wet morning, not very pleasant and a good excuse to keep moving! My rain gauge, the weir on Butts Beck, tells me that there was no great amount of rain during the night.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Definitely a mixed cold day in Barlick yesterday. It's dry this morning but cold. The glass started to rise at teatime yesterday and is now at 29". Forecast is for a dryer, bright overcast day with a moderate west or north west wind all day. Expected high of 12C but with the wind chill it will never feel like better than single figures. Another unseasonably cold day. The sooner we get rid of that cold air coming down from the north and cooling the Atlantic lows the better!
07:00 Back after our walk and it is cold out there in the wind, certainly not verging on Flaming June! But it's dry, so I shan't complain too much....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was relatively clear and dry at 21:00 last night and is the same this morning with a light NW breeze. The glass was rising all day yesterday and is now just below 29.4". The forecast is the same as yesterday, bright overcast for most of the day. Slightly warmer because the moderate breeze is ether west or south west and expected high is 11C Wind chill not as bad as yesterday so a slight improvement but still unseasonably cold.
06:30. Back from a pleasant walk, light breeze and dry. Warmer than yesterday but still cold enough to make your nose run and ears tingle!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and calm out there this morning. The glass is still trying to rise, just a shade over 29.4" this morning. The forecast is for a murky start to the day with slight chance of a shower coming in on the moderate west wind. Brighter later and an expected high of 13C lowered slightly by the breeze. The trend looks encouraging, it could get warmer for the weekend.....
We were back home at 07:00 from the butcher's and it's a pleasant morning. True, it's not flaming June weather yet but there are signs that it is improving for the bank holiday weekend.
11:15. That wind is a lot warmer, very mild out even though we are overcast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry calm and milder out there this morning. Glass is still rising slowly, almost on 29.5". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a very light wind that swings round all points of the compass but ends up in the west this evening. Very slight chance of a light shower later in the morning. Expected high of 15C. The slow improvement continues....
07:00. Back in the hutch. An ideal day for walking. Very pleasant.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from a light spatter of rain it has been a dry night. The glass is on 29.2" The forecast is for a chance of showers during the morning but bright overcast for the rest of the day. A moderate west wind all day, an expected high of 12C.
05:40. There was a bit of mizzle in the air so Jack and I seized the chance of an early walk. Just a hint of rain in the wind but otherwise OK.
There must have been a lot of people 'having a good time' in the town last night. I've never seen as much vomit or as many cans and broken bottles as there are littering the streets this morning.... I did a bit of community service in Butts but then gave up....
Surprising how many cars are parked in the Co-op car park this morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quiet, overcast and dry out there at the moment. Glass is steady on 29.2". Forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of a light shower through the morning. The wind is a moderate westerly and the expected high is 11C. Don't expect it to get any warmer for a while. There is a high pressure area in the Atlantic and the anti-cyclonic winds will start to come in from the NW for a couple of days. We aren't going to see proper spring weather this week!
06:00. It's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird! We are back within the doors after a pleasant but chilly walk. We have not got Spring yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear dry and sunny at the moment. Glass is up slightly at almost 29.4". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a slight chance of a light shower late morning. A light west or NW wind will cool things down slightly but an expected high of 13C. Could be worse!
06:20 Another early walk. Pleasant out there with full sun, a clear sky and very little wind. Birds singing and the Cow Parley and Hawthorn in Valley Gardens is bursting into bloom. Not a bad late May morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Grey and overcast at the moment but calm and dry. Glass is up slightly, approaching 29.5". The forecast is for an overcast day until 16:00 with a small chance of a light shower during the morning. The west wind will increase slowly all day and late in the afternoon more general rain will set in. Expected high of 12C.
06:20. Back after an early walk.... (a lot of my dog walking friends will be wondering if I am poorly! I'm about the town before them.) A quiet 'nowt' morning, no wind, no sun and no rain. In a word uneventful but it's getting a bit warmer at night all the time and it shows in the unceasing amount of blossom. The Lilac in my front garden has joined in but nowhere near the quantity we had last year. Things could be a lot worse....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 03:30 this morning we had a clear sky with scattered cloud, by 04:00 light rain was falling and that's what we have now. The glass is down to 29" and the forecast is for bright overcast until this evening when more general rain will set in. The wind is steady, moderate and westerly. The expected high is 11C. They must ave missed this light rain..... But again, a quiet day if a trifle cool for late May. May has been on the whole, wetter and cooler than usual. High time we saw some proper warm weather!
06:15. The forecast was right. Ten minutes after I wrote the above we were walking in low sunshine and a clearing sky so not a bad walk. Mind you, that wind has more than a touch of the NW in it and makes me eyes water!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Lovely sunny but breezy morning at the moment but black clouds are gathering in the west.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same here Moh but there is still a nasty raw edge to that wind, we are still getting that cold air feed coming down from the North. It was dry and overcast out there early this morning but we have rain now. The glass is down a touch at 28.9". Forecast is for rain all day brought in on a moderate wind that swings between SW and WNW all day. Expected 'high' of 11C. Not a very cheerful day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It brightened up no end yesterday and turned out better than the forecast. There has been a light shower in the last hour but the sky is clearing up now. The glass is up slightly and is almost on 29". The forecast is for a bright overcast day with a moderate mainly westerly wind that will swing into the east late tonight. There is a slight chance of a shower this morning and an expected high of 11C. Quiet weather but still colder than we could expect at this time of the year. We can but hope!
Back from our walk at 05:30 and back to bed for a couple of hours to make up for what I lost.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Steady rain at the moment, very fine but lots of it, the sort that wets you in no time! Glass is well down at 28.6". Forecast is not good, rain for most of the day. The wind starts off in the SE but swings round to a steady moderate westerly during the early morning and stays there all day. Expected high of only 10C. The next couple of days don't look a lot better.... Only bright spot is that after that it starts to warm up. Roll on! Full wet weather gear this morning Jack!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Heavy rain at 04:00 this morning. It's abated a bit now but still looks gloomy. Glass is up at almost 29". Forecast is for bright overcast until about dinnertime with a moderate mainly SW wind. From noon onwards the wind rises with possibly damaging gusts at times and we shall have heavy rain. The wind is relatively mild and so an expected high of 10C.
06:30. We've had a dry walk in low sun. It's a cool breeze but surprising how much heat there is in the sun when it hits your legs! That may be the nearest I get to Flaming June today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our Winter started today. 15C and a bit damp. The chill comes in mid afternoon and nights are cold. Definitely time for winter warmers and winter meals.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'd have our summer starting today, but OGFB's summer starts in 3 weeks....

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... ice%202015
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Time for you all to get your shorts, sunhats and thongs ready.
Don't forget your sunscreen and sunnies.
:cool4:
(and a sunhat doesn't mean a hankie with a knot in each corner... Haha)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No summer here at the moment..... At 21:00 last night it was wet and we had a very blustery wind that was knocking the trees about. It's dry this morning but well washed! Glass is down to 28.4". Forecast is for very similar weather today, a strong blustery SW wind with a good chance of rain almost all day. Expected high of 13C in theory but it will never feel higher than 9C. Again, this is not Flaming June!
06:10 and we are back in the house after a pleasant walk in sunshine and a stiff cool breeze. Lots of branches blown out of the trees on the Green, that wind last night was damaging! Butts Beck is well up so their must have been a lot of rain. We shall see what happens later today when we are promised another dose! The glass is trying to rise and this is often a sign that the wind is coming as we get the opposite side of the depression
crossing over us.
The weather forecaster has just mentioned that 40 years ago today it snowed heavily. This may well be true but I have no clear memory of it. I know for sure it happened in about 1960 because it was when I was working for Harrisons and I had to go into the East Riding for a load of hay and there was 6" of snow in short order as I went round the Leeds Ring Road. Don't be surprised by anything.... We are not guaranteed to be frost free for another fortnight so keep an eye on the weather when the sky clears during the night......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The band of wild wet weather hit us yesterday afternoon, not as much rain but a strong blustery wind as the depression moved NE towards Scandinavia. The glass is up slightly this morning on 29". The forecast is for a much better day. A steady moderate west wind with bright overcast and an expected high of 12C. No rain forecast. Still not warm but a bit of promise in the air!
06:30. A very pleasant walk in full sunshine and a mild breeze. There were midges in Valley Gardens this morning! Don't hold your breath but this looks like the beginnings of an improvement....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a decent day yesterday but the wind was a bit chilly. We had a clear night last night and it is clear and dry this morning. The glass is well up at 29.5", things are looking hopeful! Forecast is for a bright sunny day with a gentle southerly breeze and an expected high of 17C. Definitely a better outlook!
06:20. Nice morning, still chilly and a heavy dew. All the signs of the best day we have had this year. About time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide 16C (it's less than that), wind 26kmph (it's more than that), humidity 66% (that's about right), and cloudy (actually it's very overcast)
Tomorrow looks better, I'll venture out then :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Windy here, but it has settled this afternoon and we took our constitutional walk.
No frost this morning, whereas there was yesterday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks as though at last, we are warmer than you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely day yesterday.... getting very close to proper summer weather! Question is, how long for? Glass is down below 29.1" and falling. Forecast is for another similar day, bright overcast and an expected high of 18C. The very light east wind at the moment will swing into the SW mid morning and gradually increase to moderate. There's an outside chance of a light shower around dinnertime but otherwise another much better day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”