The Lazy Ladies Loaf

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

The Lazy Ladies Loaf

Post by PanBiker »

I started this thread to hold a recipe that Maz found courtesy of Devondale the Aussie Farmers CoOp, she mentioned it over in the What did we have for tea thread. As per the title this is the Lazy Ladies Loaf. It's a plain flour recipe with minimum preparation and produces a Chiabatta style bread.

The Lazy Ladies Loaf

Maz has had a go at it and I am doing the same. I will take some pictures of the process and post in here of how it goes.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: The Lazy Ladies Loaf

Post by Marilyn »

Sent Stanley three pics yesterday and three pics this morning.
I thought he may have posted them, but he is probably busy in his shed...

We enjoyed the bread. I would like to try a few variations.
( I think it would be nice with olives in it, or a variety of herbs on top too.)

How is your loaf going? I suppose we can compare when Stanley pops the pics on.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mines out of the fridge and I am about to move to the next step, its risen quite a bit in the fridge overnight.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have received my instructions from HQ....

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Looking good Maz, can't see the first one though? Here is my offering, first one is the mixture straight out of the fridge. Plenty of yeast activity.

Here it is after standing for a couple of hours to come up to room temp prior to the bake. Quite a bit more active and an increase in bulk.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Right here we go. Here's the mixture ready for baking, it's very gloopy and a bit of a pain to try and turn it over. The dough is more like a thick pouring batter or thin pizza dough, it has a similar stretch but nothing to hold it together for much handling. I decided to split a bit of the mixture off in an attempt to make something to put our Jack's Kangaroo burgers in tonight.

Here is the big one after 30mins in the oven, I thought the 45-50mins would be a bit long at that temperature. The smaller one is the same but has not seemed to rise as much.

I tried some with my dinner while it was still warm, it felt a little like the same consistency as a crumpet but crunchier on the outside. I had it with butter of course and it was OK. Not earth shattering though but it is only plain flour, yeast water and a bit of salt after all. I do agree that it would probably benefit from something in it to lift it a bit. Caramelised onions, sun dried tomatoes, olives maybe although it would be a bit of a challenge getting them in there. If you put them in at the beginning with the dry ingredients there would be a chance that it would kill the yeast. The risen yeast is too sticky really to mess about adding at the end unless you could use a mixer at some point in the procedure. I suppose you could put some hard flavored cheese on top to bake into the crust. If you do try any variants please let us know.

I have to say the method is simple but I prefer working with a more traditional dough that you can manipulate and shape a lot easier. I find creating a good dough mix by hand quite therapeutic, it's a lot more involved but much more versatile.

I'll see what our Jack says about the container I have made for his Kangaroo tea.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh...well done!
I agree about handling the gloopy mixture...I found I could turn it over using the baking paper, but anywhere it touched that wasn't floured it just stuck.
Hubby and I have not eaten bread for twelve months, which is probably why we enjoyed it. (He insisted that giving up bread was the key to his weight loss so I gave up bread too. He has lost about 12 kilos....I have not lost a bean!)

I was also thinking that if you put the dough in a smaller container with sides, it might be a bit taller.
I may do another batch tomorrow night and will have a think about what to add.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Jack had the bread when it had cooled properly with his burgers. He said it was good because of it's robust consistency. He managed to get his burger, lettuce, cheese and homemade chili salsa in somehow! Jack had a slice off the big loaf as it was a bit deeper than the little one. Sally had that with her bean stew. Going to try toasting what is left tomorrow.

I got mine caught on the paper as well trying to roll it over on the floured surface. I ended up scooping it all up in the paper and scraping it off onto another floured sheet. It would probably handle better if poured into an oiled cake or crumpet ring to create a more even shape. Other than that not a lot you can do with such a runny mixture. Let us know if you manage to get something into your next go. Some of the continental flat breads just have various bits on the top, that might work.
Ian
LizG

Post by LizG »

I saw the original today. I will be making it when we get back home. Or before if I can get bread flour. We have an oven in the van.
Liz
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You don't need bread flour Liz It's ordinary plain flour in the recipe.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I used bread flour, but plain flour to line the tray...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The recipe lists ordinary plain flour I think so that it is a simple as possible. Most folk will have plain and self raising in the cupboard but only the existing bread makers the strong gluten rich varieties. It works with plain because there is no kneading cycle needed to develop the dough in the conventional way.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Right...I am ready to experiment and possibly break a few rules...
I have made another batch of dough, with less water ( 375 ml) and thrown in lots of dried chives and a large cup of grated tasty cheese.
Let's see what happens eh?!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Right then, Panbiker (old thing/old bean/master bread maker)
Game on!
Will post latest pics to Stanley and see what you make of my Cheese and Chive Loaf.
( must say it was much easier to handle with less water in it, and easier to shape too. I sprayed it with Olive Oil, threw on some cheese and more chives. Baked for 50 mins)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Looking good Maz. Are you using plain or strong flour?
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Once again I used unbleached bread flour. I have exactly 500g left, so after that I may try the plain flour.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I'm getting itchy fingers again, and have a hankering to try Apple and Walnut...
LizG

Post by LizG »

Keep up the photos & reports please. Apple & walnut sounds great.
Liz
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:crazypilot:
Need to buy Walnuts...( thought I had some...but they changed into Almonds whilst sitting in the pantry...

Return to “Baking”