Energy Bars

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Energy Bars

Post by PanBiker »

This recipe is from the (GCN) Global Cycling Network. here are the ingredients and method.

Sunflower Oil - 120ml/3/4 cup
Soft Dark Brown Sugar - 200g/1 cup
Golden Syrup - 2 tbsp
Peanut Butter - 1 tbsp
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 tsp

Melt these ingredients in a pan over a low heat until melted and mixed together.

Next, add:

Sesame Seeds - 25g / 2 tbsp
Sunflower Seeds - 25g / 2 tbsp
Flaked Almonds - 50g / 1/2 cup
Sultanas - 50g / 1/2 cup
Chopped Dates - 50g / 1/2 cup

Gradually stir in thick cut porridge oats/oatmeal - 225g / 8 oz

Transfer mixture to a baking tin lined with parchment. Roughly 25 x 15cm or 10 x 6 inches.

Press down firmly with a fork, (I used the potato masher)

Place in an oven at 180degrees c, 350 degrees f or gas mark 4 for 10 - 15 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don't get over done.

Finally, leave to cool in the tin before you take them out and cut them.

You get about 10 from this mix at about 400 calories a go. I made a load for when we did the coast to coast bike ride including some coated with chocolate at the request of one of our group of riders. Great for 8-10 hours on the bike.

Here is the Youtube video that goes with it which gives links to other body fueling recipes.

Ian
LizG

Re: Energy Bars

Post by LizG »

I'll try these during the week. I'm not a huge fan of dates so I might substitute dried cranberries.

I must say it sounds a lot healthier than the fruit cake!
Liz
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The dates help to bind the mix together and you can hardly taste them, they tend to shred down when you are mixing everything up in the pan. You can make it work with an odd substitute though, I made some with glace cherries and they came out OK. Give the mix a good pressing into the tin before baking or else they will come out too crumbly. You need them to be firm and slightly chewy, watch the baking time for this. Cut them in the tin before they fully cool.
Ian
LizG

Post by LizG »

I'll do it according to plan the first time and then make the changes. That way I know what it should look like.
Liz
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Have you had a go at these yet Liz? Or are you still trying to get down from the ceiling from the energy hit. :grin:
Ian
LizG

Post by LizG »

I've bought all the ingredients, I just needed to get all the Christmas gifts made. Almost done with that now. Dennis is still eating his way through the fruit cake so no pressure yet!

I will report back.
Liz
LizG

Post by LizG »

Taste fantastic Ian. I cut it into 24. I think the pieces should be big enough for us. It's not like we really need them to provide energy!
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Liz
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Glad you enjoyed them Liz. From a cycling fuel point of view they are very convenient and cost a fraction of the commercially produced energy or cereal bars. They keep very well if you wrap them in foil.
Ian

Return to “Baking”