JOHN LAMBERT 1826

Moh
Silver Surfer

JOHN LAMBERT 1826

Post by Moh »

I was clearing a drawer and I came across The Gazette dated April 2010, and in there is a request from a John Lambert asking for information about his gt. grandfather John Lambert b. 1826 in Barnoldswick and he would be grateful for any information about records, parish or otherwise in the area Barnoldswick, Gisburn,Horton, Clitheroe to assist tracing his family before 1837. I have emailed him asking if he has got what he wanted and I have directed him to the site. I do not know if any one will be able to help..
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: JOHN LAMBERT 1826

Post by PanBiker »

I am looking for a John Lambert also although mine is John of Marsett.
My Grandfather John William was not in Barlick until 1910. His three eldest children Mary, Robert and James who we are discussing in the other thread were all born up in Dent or Cowgill and surrounding area. He moved the family down to Barlick with a view to work in the mills rather than the rural life he had grown up in. The three youngest Lizzie Belle, William and John (my dad) were all born in Barlick as well as another sibling George who died in infancy. My dad named my brother George after him.
There is another Lambert line in Barlick although they are not related to us in any way. I don't know how long their line has been in the town or whether they would be descendants of the John you mention.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

LAMBERT INDEX ENTRIES 09/02/13

William Lambert bought a warehouse and weaving shed in Veevers Street Burnley for £600 when the formar owner Mr Pickup went bankrupt. He was described as William Lambert of Barnoldswick. (See History of Burnley Vol. III by W Bennett. Cited as County Record Office DDX 8-55)
Henry Lambert mentioned as Cotton manufacturer of Barnoldswick in an electoral roll of 1807. In 1808 same name mentioned as owner of Lower Parrock House Mill and Gillians Mill in insurance records for both premises.
Henry Lambert still running Lower Parrock Mill but registered bankrupt in 1813.
Benjamin Lambert noted as elector of Barnoldswick. Address given is Ickornshaw.
Henry Lambert noted as elector of Barnoldswick, address Howgill, same entry in 1841. Elector of Barnoldswick again in 1848 but address given as Cowling.
Joseph Lambert noted as elector of Barnoldswick. Address given as Bradford.
Benjamin Lambert noted as elector of Barnoldswick. Address given as Cowling.
Benjamin Lambert noted as elector of Brogden. Address given is Horrock's House.
Entry in electoral roll. Benjamin Lambert described as occupier of a farm at more than £50 annual rent at Horrock's House Farm.
Benjamin Lambert noted as elector of Barnoldswick. Address given as Cowling.
Census reports Mary Lambert at Greenhill House Colne, 65, Cotton warp sizer and cotton manufacturer employing 34 women and children.
Census reports Benjamin Lambert of Coates Flatt, 64, farm labourer.
Census notes John Lambert of Higher Close Farm, 73, farmer of 73 acres.
Census notes William Lambert of Cook Street, 31, joiner and carpenter. (?. No Cook Street in Barlick to my knowledge)
In the Bracewell Estate sale document of 1887 the conditions of sale note that the title to the greater portion of lot 2 which was Butts Mill shall commence with an indenture of conveyance made on 14th March 1847 between Benjamin Lambert and William Bracewell. (Interesting in that this post-dated the actual start of the mill which is generally reported as 1846)
Barrett directory. Arthur Lambert noted at 7 Wellington Street. Barrett 1902 has entry describing him as a joiner at 2 Rainhall Road. (cf. Waite and Lambert, joiners)
Barrett directory reports Miss Mary Ellen Lambert as dressmaker on Sagar Terrace.
William Lambert noted in Barrett directory as Registrar of Births and Deaths, 6 Sussex Street.
William Lambert noted in Calf Hall Shed Company Minute Books as qualified to act as director in 1899 and 1901.
Barrett directory reports the Misses Lambert at 6 Sussex Street Barnoldswick.
Edward Lambert. York Street works Barnoldswick. Joiner, builder, undertaker, shopfitter, motor body coach-builder, hoods made and recovered.
LTP. 78/AG/02. Side one. Newton Pickles says that Albert Lambert was a milk boy with him for Mrs Bell's dairy on Gisburn Road.
1920 onward
William Arthur Duxbury (Harold Duxbury's father) worked for Waite and Lambert in York Street. The Lambert at this firm was the grandfather of Robert Lambert who worked at Briggs and Duxbury for many years eventually as funeral director with 'Tash' Arthur Duxbury.
1930s
LTP. 79/AO/01. Jack Platt talks about the accident where half his hand was blown off. When he came out of hospital he went with Robert Lambert, who became a joiner, to work for Tommy Sandham who was a milk retailer.
1930s
LTP. 78/AC/02. Tommy Lambert mentioned by Ernie Roberts as a mate who went carol singing with him, he played the piccolo.
1970s
Billy Lambert whose by-name was Billy Two Rivers was a weaver at Bancroft Shed. He was a tackler for many years but went back to weaving when he injured his neck while carrying warps on his shoulder.
1970s
Leslie Lambert was loomsweeper at Bancroft Shed. See LTP. 79/AF/02.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I have not had a reply yet, maybe he will just come on site.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was surprised when I looked at my data that I have never done an index search for Lambert so it isn't wasted. I have posted it as a separate topic in Local History Research as well....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

John emailed me and said he had been on site, he gave me what info. he has so I told him to put it one here, someone may know something about his line.
jonnybrowntown

Post by jonnybrowntown »

I am also chasing up information on Lamberts from the Barnoldswick area of Yorkshire, specifically my 7x great-grandfather Benjamin Lambert, a Farmer who died in 1809 (abstract of his will/probate gives probate date as July 1809). I am after his birth details and names of his parents and/or any other relevant info.

He married a Jane Speak in 1797 and had at least 7 children with her; 5 of these were baptised in Colne, Lancashire with Daubers and Hillclose given as the "abode" for the parents in these listings. The other two children, Benjamin (b. 1806) and Mary are found in NonConformist records (Baptist) as being christened in Barnoldswick. As my family has almost always been Lancashire up to this point I am largely unfamiliar with the resources available for Yorkshire, though have done my usual trawling through Ancestry, FamilySearch and FindMyPast as well as the good old Google search (which is how I came across this page).

Any information on this Benjamin Lambert, husband of Jane Speak and father to Benjamin (b. 1806) and Joseph (my 6x great-grandfather, m. Ellen Birchall), or his wife Jane, would be greatly appreciated. I promise to provide anything further that I find to this page also.

Regards

Jon
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no doubt you will get a response from our ferrets Jon. They love questions like this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hello John, I'm not sure I can help but have you considered the Benjamin Lambert baptised 9th May 1762 in Gisburn as a possibility? (Ancestry & Family Search) His father was also a Benjamin.
jonnybrowntown

Post by jonnybrowntown »

Hi Wendy

that is the first I have heard of that particular record. I will chase it up and see! Unfortunately the probate I have gives no indication as to Benjamin's age at time of death. He married in 1797 so would have been 35 at the time of marriage, and about 47 at the time of birth of his last child in that case.
I'm in Western Australia so don't know the geography; I will take a squiz at how close Gisburn is to Barnoldswick, etc.; the only "Gisborne" I know of is in New Zealand :)

Thanks!! :)
jonnybrowntown

Post by jonnybrowntown »

Have found an IGI record of a Benjamin Lambert born 1778 in Hillsclough, Yorkshire, which I believe is very near to the area; "Hillclose" is given as the abode for Benjamin & Jane on 3 of the 5 baptism records (in Colne) that appear for their children in Lancashire OPC website. "Hill Clough" and "Hell Claw" are also given as the birthplace for their son Joseph (my ancestor) on separate censuses. Regarding the IGI, there's nothing given there other than his name, birth year and place - so not sure how reliable this is. No relatives of any kind mentioned.

I can't seem to find anything definitive re. what the place is actually called (maybe it doesn't exist anymore? Or was never quite a township/locale, but rather a street/road - I have seen this before under Abode) - I've come across Hill Close Lane, Hillclose, Hell Claw, Hill Clough, and Hillsclough. Does anyone have an answer on that one?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :)
Back to work for me today :(
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I didn't know where Hill Close was Jon but soon found it on the old OS maps and the name has changed over time. it is out to the west of Barlick on Esp Lane, below the slope of Weets Hill. (Beyond Moor Close where I believe the ancestors of a couple more of our members from Australia lived)
On this 1853 OS map it is marked as Hilly Close.

On this 1890's map shown side by side with modern aerial photography it is marked as Hill Cloughs LINK

A short walk westwards would bring them to the old road from Colne to Gisburn, both a similar distance away...in fact Gisburn is closer than Colne and might even have been handier for Hill Close residents than Gill Church in Barlick.
jonnybrowntown

Post by jonnybrowntown »

Thanks very much Wendy!! :)
Two censuses of my ancestor Joseph Lambert shown him being born Hill Clough/Hell Claw (sic), so finding a Colne baptism with a Hillclose abode registered, and a father Benjamin (I am descended through Joseph's son Benjamin) was a great find and a very good bet; after your information I am certain I must be on the right track. Joseph's Hil Clough birthplace is referenced as Yorkshire county, so seeing that back in earlier times there was such a place (albeit its spelling changing slightly) is a confidence-booster.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing to do with your search but I mowed all the meadows at Hill Clough when the new owner took over in the 60s. I forget the surname but he was called Ken. He hadn't vacated his old holding and had to hay-make there. Cyril Richardson was a mate of his and made the hay after I mowed it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Looking For Someone”