Pendle War Memorials

plaques
Donor

Pendle War Memorials

Post by plaques »

Pendle War Memorials.

Given that there are already sections listed as ‘Barlick War Memorial Research’ and ‘War Memorials’ by PanBiker. It was thought it may be opportune to create a section for ‘Pendle War Memorials’ as a stand alone item. Although the basic intent was to ensure coverage of those war memorials and tributes which are on public display there is scope to include memorials located inside churches, chapels and public buildings many of which are not easily accessed on an everyday basis. Also, since the Pendle area has quite a number of monuments it would seem right to start with the home town of ‘One Guy’ ie: ‘Barnoldswick’ and then radiate outwards through the various towns and villages. For my own part the images I shall be posting are from my general collection and are by no means a total inventory of those that are out there. It goes without saying that ‘One Guy’ is an open forum and members are encouraged to add their own images and comment. For loading images into the ‘Gallery’ use “Historical >>> Memorials”.
plaques
Donor

Re: Pendle War Memorials

Post by plaques »

Barnoldswick War Memorial.

Located adjacent to Fern Lea Avenue the memorial is of obelisk design with carved panels on each of the four faces. In addition to the main inscriptions there are a further two adjacent panels of names which have been added since the original dedication. A full re-dedication was enacted last year after the new panels were installed.

Side 1. Front Panel.

Side 2. Left Hand Panel.

Side 3. Back Panel.

Side 4 Right Hand Panel.

Left Additional Panel.

Right Additional Panel.
Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:11, edited 3 times in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nice thread Plaques, just a point, your side 3 (back panel) it actually the front panel others out of step accordingly. They read alphabetically around the memorial from the front. When the memorial was moved from Letcliffe in 1983 the original entrance was from Wellhouse Road so the memorial was orientated with the first panel facing the entrance.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Barnoldswick Forces Memorial.

The background and detailed work recently carried out on this memorial can be found in 'Local History >> Barnoldswick Forces Memorial Gardens'.
Located on Kelbrook Road entering Barnoldswick the memorial gardens was provided by local subscript to those who served in the 1939-45 War and also in memory of those that lost there lives.

The plaque itself was presented by the Barnoldswick Manufactures Association.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thornton in Craven War Memorial.

Although not within the boundary of Pendle the Thornton War memorial is only ½ a mile outside its boundary. Located on Church Rd next to the Church of St Mary the Virgin the memorial is less neutral in design than one normally finds with the upright being a stylized version of the Benedictine cross. The base carries two panels with inscriptions on both the front and rear panels.

Front Panel.

Rear Panel.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Salterforth War Memorial.

Located at the junction of Kelbrook Rd and Salterforth Rd. it is of an obelisk design with panels on the front and rear panels.

The front Panel dedicated to those in the 'Great War'

The rear Panel to the 1939-45 war.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Earby-Sough-Kelbrook War Memorial.

Located in Sough Park Colne Rd , Earby. Recently refurbished and rededicated it includes names covering the Boer war to those who died in service up to the present time. The centre Cenotaph was erected in memory of those who died in the 1914-19 war while four additional panels were set round the Cenotaph on their own plinths for the 1939-45 war. The more recent tributes are along the central pathway at ground level.

A general view of the memorial showing the tall bronze panels holding the names of the fallen in the 1914-18 war and the outer bronze tablets for the 1939-45 war.

Set in the pavement are two plaques honouring servicemen past and present and one showing the date of the rededication.

An image showing two of the 1914-18 side by side. (names A to K). Unfortunately the quality of these images is very poor owing to the darkness of the bronze panels.

The second pair of panels. (names K to Y).

Image of two of the 1939-45 panels. (names B to P).

The remaining two panels. (names P to W).

Collectively the recent additions from the Boer War to the Present time.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Foulridge War Memorial.

Located at the junction of Skipton Rd and Lowther Ln the memorial design is of a tall slender column with a circle cross. Its plinth caries the two war details and the remaining three sides are inscribed with the names of the service men who died in the wars.

The front face is shown below.

Face 1.

Face 2.

Face 3.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Trawden War Memorial.

Located at the junction of Skipton Rd and Keighley Rd the cenotaph carries two panels, a bronze panel for the 1914-18 war and a lower inscription in the stone plinth for the 1939-45 war.

The image of the 1914-18 bronze panel is difficult to reproduce so accept my apologies for the quality.

The 1939-45 panel is shown below.

The nearby Wesley Chapel (demolished 1951) still has the original Church School plaque which shows an extra name (Amos Pickles) which is missing on the War memorial.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a war memorial but I wonder what happened to this when the main Co-op building was demolished?

P. I rescued this when Jubilee Mill was being demolished. The Firm is J J Roberts of Padiham. If it's of any interest to you you can have it. Click to enlarge.

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thank you for the offer Stanley but I can't see myself diverting into other types of media unless they are specifically related to my lumps of stone. Actually I started taking pictures of terrace plaques when I saw so many houses being demolished in Burnley. Ken Spencer, who can be considered as a true expert on the history of Burnley said nobody had any idea what was disappearing. So far I've covered Burnley and the whole of Pendle but as always anything which can be considered as 'worked stone' went into the collection. Having lost my uncle, my dad's sister's husband, in the WW1, I have a special interest in war memorials.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Understood P. I hope you didn't mind my diversion away from pure stone.... This topic is developing into a good source of reference.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Colne War Memorial.

Located midway down Albert Rd adjacent to the Municipal Hall the memorial is a free standing colonnade with the 1914-18 tributes on interior walls and the 1939-45 plaques on plinths mounted between the centre columns. This is quite a large memorial with an inscription round the frieze reading, "ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE. GREAT WAR 1914-1918. AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM. LEST WE FORGET".

The first pair of panels for the 1914-18 war are shown below.

The second pair 1914-18 are on the opposite wall.

The tributes to the fallen of the 1939-45 war are on the front and rear of the central plinths. The names are on bronze plaques which always makes quality of the image less than desired.
First plaque for the 1939-45 war is shown below.

The second plaque is as below.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Colne. Christ Church War Memorial.

Located adjacent to the church entrance on Bent Lane - Keighley Rd. The memorial comprises of a simplified Celtic cross on a tapered plinth. The inscriptions are for both the 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars.

For the 1914-18 war taking the faces in alphabetical order.

The second list of tributes. Note the last three entries appear to be later additions.

Finally the remaining tributes.

The forth face lists fallen in the 1939-45 war.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Blacko War memorial.

Located slightly above the junction of Gisburn Rd and Beverly Rd. The cenotaph carries names of those who died in the 1914-18 war and the 1939-45 war.
A general view of the front face is shown.

A closer image to show the dedication is detailed below.

The side face carries two more names for the 1914-18 war.

the opposite side face carries two more names plus those of the 1939-45 war.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Barrowford War Memorial.

Location. Central Barrowford Park near the bowling green. A simple cenotaph with bronze plaques for the general tribute and the fallen for the 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars.
A general view is shown.

A close up of the facing plaque is shown.

The plaque listing the names of those who died in the 1914-39 war is shown bellow.

A second plaque for the 1939-45 war is as below.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Wheatley Lane - Fence War Memorial.

Located at the junction of Wheatley Lane Rd and Cuckstool Lane the memorial is a simplified Celtic cross with two bronze plaques on the tapering plinths. The upper plaque remembers those in the 1914-18 war and the lower plaque the 1939-45 war. The memorial is viewed through a wrought iron arch with a clock as a centre piece.

The plaque for the 1914-18 war is shown below.

The lower plaque for the 1939-45 war has been 'roughly' cleaned making the imaging very difficult.

Set at the base of the cross the stone is engraved " THE CARE OF THEM IS WITH THE MOST HIGH", While round the base on the four sides epitaph reads :-
"Hear ye not the voices ringing down the ages,
echoing still the message though their task be done?"

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Brierfield War Memorial.

Located central Brierfield on Colne Rd. A large cenotaph with an imposing bronze lion set on a forward plinth. The memorial records both the 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars with the recent addition of a few other conflicts.

The front view is as shown.

An additional side view to give an overall perspective.

Within the Pendle area this is the only memorial with a bronze carving. This is shown in detail below.

The names of the fallen in the 1914-18 war are shown on the three sides of the forward plinth.

The fallen in the 1939-45 war are displayed on the reverse of the cenotaph.

The memoriam tablet and addition names are shown together for convenience only.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

You're doing a great job, Plaques. A lot of people in the future will be grateful to you for the time and effort you've taken to record these memorials. Thanks.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thank you Tizer. The next one up is Nelson but I'm going to need a bit of help with it. I think I will need someone with a bit more expertise than I've got. David, Big Kev perhaps.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Not sure I'd be much help P.

It probably needs oblique lighting?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

David I think you are right. All the names are engraved on 'stainless steel' panels with plate glass in front of them. All the images I took turned out as 'selfies' . Not a pretty sight. Also there must be over a thousand names on them. Probably just settle for a general view.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Not being familiar with the memorial, I wondered what the trouble was so I looked it up and found an image. It appears to have three transparent windows! Now I know what you mean and can see why David suggests oblique lighting. In the image I saw it looks more like glass with names engraved on it and you can't see the stainless steel behind it. Here's the image: LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The Nelson memorial was designed and fabricated by Pendle company DP Structures as part of the redevelopment in Market Street. Not sure that this helps with the photography, but thought it may be of interest...
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Nelson War Memorial.

Location. Junction of Market St and Cross St. Now known as Memorial Square. This area now holds the majority of the civic memorials. The Memorial Cross and the Scouts Memorial along with the 2009 memorial listing all the fallen in the recent wars are located in this area. Some excellent images are shown on Nelson War Memorials.

The Memorial Cross Does not carry any names only the memoriam ' The Great War' in proud and grateful memory of our glorious dead. 1914- 1918. also. 'Also those who fell' 1939 - 1945.

The Scout Memorial is engraved "To the Glorious Memory of the Nelson Scouts who fell in the Great War".

A sample of the panels engraved with the fallen is shown.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Local History Topics”