SHED MATTERS 2

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SHED MATTERS 2

Post by Stanley »

I got this from Mick this morning....
Here are some photos of the carvings Stanley.
The dog is birch wood with Iroko base, the light waves wall plaque is sycamore, the spiral wall plaque is walnut and the soldier is lime wood.
I will include a couple of close ups of the soldier, just put them on whenever Stanley I know what it's like being sick of bloody computers lol.
Cheers Mick

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Thanks Stanley,
That should keep the woodies is happy for a bit lol. I will be resuming the soldier soon, the reason he is missing a hand is that will be a separate part along with his rifle, bayonet and water bottle.
Cheers Mick.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Fantastic Mick, coming along nicely, can't wait to see the end result. Are you going to battle scar the plinth and ammo box?
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Re Brass Screws , I intend having a sort out this year, I have some old stock that might be useful that I should be able to drop off in new year. (not many as have to work out what are brass effect ones !)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thronged this morning, what with Mick's pics and a flood of comms from Oz it was late before I got in the shed.

First tidying up bit was to get all the dial indicators in one box and stow them away.

Then I went on the hunt for materials.... I was watching an old video of John's last night (the series on boring) and saw a gauge he had made for checking that the cutting edges of large drills were ground equally. Brilliant, simple and new to me so I decided to make one. The block and the set screw were easy but the piece of plate for the upright was a bit more challenging. I have two strong contenders, the brass door plate isn't long enough. I may use the blade out of the large wood square. looks like sacrilege I know but I have two of them, identical. I'll have another shufti tomorrow but I think this is as good as I will find.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Super_7b

Post by Super_7b »

Hi Stanley,

Which video of John's are you referring to? Can you tell me the title and date so I can have a (re)look? I don't dare just start scrolling his videos or I'll be gone for days.

I love the straightforward way he presents stuff. It encourages me to try things I'd normally be wary of doing. He isn't afraid to share his mistakes, has a common sense(and hilarious) attitiude to health and safety and his outbursts and local expressions have me rolling on the floor. Long may it contiunue.

I agree with the comments others have made; you two need to do more co-operation videos.

BR

Mick (Ossett)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was the three he did on Boring when he was doing that bronze cylinder. He pops the drill gauge in the third of them. He's keen to do more videos....

This morning I attacked the drill gauge. I couldn't bring myself to destroy the old carpenter's square.... If anyone wants a good 12" square, call round, it's yours. I have another one.... I cut the strip to length and milled a slot in the back of the block so it will be flush when fitted. I tapped the block 3/8" Whitworth and decided to use roll pins to attach the two together. Dead easy and plenty strong enough.

Once they were driven home I cut them off flush and filed them.

Here we are ready for the locating point in the base.

I used an ordinary 3/8" set screw and turned a 60 degree point on it. It doesn't need to be hard, its only to locate the tang of the drill.

The point in place and loctited in. What you do is put some blue on the standard and make a mark with the tip of each cutting edge. If they coincide the lands are equal. If not you know exactly how much to grind off to correct it. To check you just smear the blue with your thumb and repeat. Tomorrow I'll get the angle grinder out and polish the standard up a bit.... I love this little jig. Never seen one before and it is so simple and accurate....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley,
Nice job on the drill gadget , I already have a joiners square so no good to me but glad it's survived and not got cut up :grin: .
Thanks for the comments on the carving from Pan biker, I will just make the ammo box look more like battered timber and the base look like flag stones, I had ideas of mud with tyre tracks and foot prints ect but then came too my senses :laugh5:
Glad people like John's videos, what you see is what you get with John, so he is just being himself so it will be more of the same in the future, I can't see him becoming Robson Green anytime soon , oh yar :laugh5:
The drill sharpening gauge is really good I had never seen one before but they are simple and work so surprised they are not more common.
Cheers Mick
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You're right about Johns videos, I know very little about engineering but I could watch Johns presentations all night. I also follow his "Bait" videos. The other night when I was badly running to the toilet and throwing up I was feeling very sorry for myself. I found myself watching one of Johns bait offerings, "bacon and egg proper". The man is actually a genius, frying pan outside on the little gas stove, three rashers of bacon, oven bottom in the pan to soak up the best bits from the bacon fat, Bacon into oven bottom, quick wipe of pan and then a large egg, I did notice he went for the healthy option and fried it in olive oil. :wink: Brew already made, "And that my friends is a proper bacon sarnie, thanks for watching, thanks for subscribing and bon appetite bonny lad!"
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

micktoon wrote:That should keep the woodies is happy for a bit lol
Fantastic. How do you do it? I think Grinling Gibbons has got a bit of competition. Gibbons
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

But he's a big ugly bugger isn't he..... :grin:
Drill gauge is so simple and effective.... I am sending the 12" square up to Col when Wendy comes this morning. He deserves an award for sheer bloody hard work! BTW, I have two identical squares this size. How thaT CAME ABOUT IS THAT WHEN WE WERE ON WITH eLLENROAD i INSPCTED THE ROOF SPACE ONE DAY, A SYMPHONY OF MASSIVE TIMBER FRAMING! i NOTICED SOMETHNG LODGED BEHIND A BEAM AS i SEARCHED CAREFULLY FOR dRY rOT (i FOUND SOME 'FRUITING BODIES BUT THAT'S ANOTHER STORY) (bugger caps lock!) and when I pulled it out it was this square. Some chippy in about 1919 when they rebuilt the roof after the fire must have been really pissed off when he realised he had lost it. It was in pretty good nick considering.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job was to use the angle grinder to get the rust off the gauge and break the edges, make it look a bit prettier! Then I blued it with engineers blue and tried a drill on it. I picked one that I suspected might be a bit off.

The top image is what a drill does if it is not quite equally ground. I should emphasise that this wasn't badly out and will cut quite well. The one below is what a drill with equal lands does (Different drill because I forgot to do the pic of the first one after I had corrected it.) I think you can see the difference! Very accurate and easy to use. Well worth the time I spent on it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P. have a look at this link. One of John's videos but in Mick's shed. LINK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Yes, that's the video that prompted my asking how the soldier carving was progressing. I'd have been happy with the plasticine model never mind replicating it in wood.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He's pretty good for a Geordie isn't he..... Wendy approved the Shed plaque yesterday......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote:He's pretty good for a Geordie isn't he..... Wendy approved the Shed plaque yesterday......
Pretty good ? He's close to genius I'd say. :smile:

Just checked out our previous 'site sculptor' Conor Farr
We've lost him, (and his mum) now, but he's doing OK. Keep your portrait safe Stanley. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

And the knicker pics. :wink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Indeed - I'd forgotten about that.
On reflection - probably a better bet for financial appreciation. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I get the occasional mail from Melanie his mum. Last news he is doing well and very busy..... [Must get the knicker pics down and clean the glass......]
No shed yesterday because of comms overload but I am getting there!

This advert for Stuart and Turner castings from the ME of 1953 grabbed me.... Those were the days!

I've been mulling over the question of the next project..... I think I'm ready to make a decision! I fancy the Fieldhouse Winding Engine. Have a look on the Hemingway site for it. It's a bit different and I think I'd enjoy doing it. It involves spending £350 on castings and drawings so it's a new departure for me! See what you think, I think I'm about ready to take the plunge. I have mailed Kirk this morning to ask him whether there is a special pensioner's price......
As for today, a bit of a potter in the shed I think.....

After doing my research I want into the shed. I need to make an adapter to fit this clock on the new Noga-style mag base that the lads brought me. So some hunting to see what I have got and then a fag packet drawing.... I know what I'm doing now and will make it tomorrow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's confession time. Instead of going into the shed and getting on with useful things I allowed myself to be diverted (I like diversions!). Part of the package the lads delivered was a bunch of old magazines, Model Engineers and Car Mechanics all 1950/1960 vintage. I opened one of the Car Mechanics and started to look at my favourite bits, the old advertisements. I find them fascinating! The first one that caught my attention was this....

I must have been flush at the time because I bought the best one, the LCU at £11-15-0.

here it is almost 60 years later, mucky I'll grant you but still complete, not a single item has failed and believe me they have seen some service. Elora are still available and I got the shock of my life when I looked at the prices! The nearest equivalent to this set is over £700! Made in Germany and they have been well worth the money.
Sorry about that, I will try to do better tomorrow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley, I like them old adverts too, I have a 1935 Buck and Hickman catalogue, its great to look through , I wish they had half the reange for sale now they had then. I also have an Elora socket set, as you say top notch gear I think mine would be from late 1980s, I got them used so no idea what they would have cost. I will have to dig them out and see if they were imperial or metric.
Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good sockets Mick as you say. If I cleaned mine up they would look just like new and they have had a LOT of hard work! I don't know why I was surprised about the price, everything is stratospheric in my head, I still think in old money.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He must be doing something! He's been scattering tools about! I'm making a little adapter so I can fit the clock John gave me on my new mag base.

Making the post that will be gripped in the holding clamp. Threading it 26tpi which is both brass thread and 1/4" BSF.

Now I need a knurled nut to clamp the clock on the post.

This knurling tool was one of the best tools I ever made for the shed. Centreless so there is no push on the workpiece.

Ready for drilling, threading and parting off but it was ten o'clock and I had things to do.

I got ready for tomorrow and left the stage! Not a bad hour's work....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Straightforward small turning yesterday and today what was needed was drilling and tapping. I have to make a confession here, when it came to parting off I decided to do it the safe way, with a saw, rather than try out my brand new carbide tipped parting tool that Mick and John brought me. They were very generous, they refused to take any money off me for the mag base and the parting tool. Usual tidying up of faces etc. and then a try out....

It worked out fine as you can see.

Another small step forwards in the shed tooling and equipment! I'm pleased with that. I had a good clean up and left the shed with a nice clean lathe waiting for the next job. One thing, I think the Taylor chuck is getting a bit more free with use. I am convinced it is brand new and has seen very little use.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley, looks like a good job and the mag base should be handy for not needing to swap dti over from place to place. You will have to have a practice with the new tipped parting tool :grin:
What's the next shed job then ?
Cheers Mick

Return to “Crafts”