Bluesinger's Musical Ramblings

Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Bluesinger's Musical Ramblings

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Thought it might be nice to have a topic where members could discuss their musical preferences . My own are not always centred solely around Blues . To start the Topic , I'm going to attempt to put a link on here , to a piece that I shall be trying to learn for performance......
There are lots of versions of "Hellhound On My Trail" ..but I particularly like Alvin Youngblood Hart's performance on this clip..
Last edited by Bradders Bluesinger on 26 Jan 2012, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bluesinger's Musical Ramblings

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see the pic Brad. Funnily enough this was my mental picture of you from your posts. I can't contribute much to your topic because I seem to like 'classical' music more than most other genres. Mind you, there are many more modern peaces that grab me but I suspect even they will date me. Let's hear it for Percy Sledge!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I still love Neil Young, Crosby Stills & Nash, Nils Lofgren, Bob Dylan, old Joni Mitchell stuff. We have seen Nils Lofgren a few times at local venues. When we first arrived in Colne we were amazed to find he was playing the Muni! Wonderful.
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Here I go Rambling ....(having fun , but it could be time consuming)......
Some good names there Wendy* (Crosby Stills Nash ....slight Nelson collection , of course**)....
I went onto YouTube to find a bit of Percy Sledge for Stanley*** ,and ended up watching Joe Cocker (as you do !)...and this appealed to me
Did you know that Joe Cocker's brother was at one time Chairman of Severn Trent Water ?

* Post a favourite link , maybe ?
** More on this later , no doubt
*** Will try to find something other than "When A Man....."
Last edited by Bradders Bluesinger on 27 Jan 2012, 00:19, edited 6 times in total.
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

I have a catholic taste in music, classic, jazz, blues, &vocal, favourite artist Duke Ellington, who i saw live twice, others seen live, Count Basie, Stan Kenton, Louis Armstrong, Ella, Sarah"Sassy" Vaughan, Billy Daniels, Tony Bennet, Kid Ory, Dutch Swing College, Mel Torme & Sammy Davis, at various clubs in the north Chris Barber, Humph Lytletton, Bruce Turner, Eric Delaney, Johnny Dankworth, Ted Heath(not politician)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The thing I loved about Percy is that when 'When a man loves a woman' hit the charts again because it was used in and advert he refused to make a come-back when asked by a music company.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

How about this from CS&N. My hubby's favourite...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWmwvT8bCw
And Neil Young..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xNft9MutQ
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Good stuff Wendy ...I like the way NY "tunes" his guitar before the off and pronounces it "perfect"......
Speaking of which , this clip of Percy Sledge shows how difficult it is to start on a high note (he's not quite "perfect" but his wobbly has been left in ) and what follows is a belting live performance....
Last edited by Bradders Bluesinger on 27 Jan 2012, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Great topic - sadly no time to reply just now. My tea’s on the table, apparently.
:teatime:

[Later] Aahh, that's better.
Are there any recordings available of you, Bradders? Forgive me if you've already posted them and I missed them.

As for my tastes - I think catholic is the best term to describe it. The Doors, David Bowie, folk, blues, classical, The Associates ... I could go on for hours. Easier to say what I DON'T like: Rap.
Last edited by Callunna on 26 Jan 2012, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Not sure if there is a brass band in Barlic, but listen to two off the best trombone players ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUj2fKFX7A
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Is everyone aware that for youtube links you can do this:

Click the Youtube tab above the edit box where you want to insert the link then:

Simply cut and paste the video ID string inbetween the centre brackets - the video ID string is the part after the v= in the URL

{youtube]QxUj2fKFX7A[/youtube}

I have replaced the outer brakets in the example above so it shows the string.
Ian
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Many Thanks Ian .....I tried the "YouTube doofer" but couldn't get it to work ....now I know why (I think) ...So I'm going to give it a go with this...

Wonderful piece of Lap Dobro playing ...eh !
Oh , it worked so I'm going back up the thread to to see if I can edit this feature in retrospectively ....
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It's a bit more inviting this way Brad and no need to go to the YouTube site, just play in window, just like FB.

The one you have edited 3 times looks to have a bit too much info in the string - ditch the end bit of text I think..

Well that's one way of doing it. If it wont bend to your will, kill it completely :gatlin:
Ian
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

I'm LEARNING !....and it's a slow curve ...Thanks for the help, Ian...
....To Continue the ramble....
Some will have noticed that Watermelon Slim was playing his Dobro left-handed....( the "wrong way round")
but unlike many lefties he still has has his guitar strung in the "normal" way........
Apart from Jimmy Hendricks , there was another notable player who did the same (ie just turned the guitar upside down )...
Elizabeth Cotton (Cotten?) taught herself to play in a clandestined way (her father forbate it) by "borrowing" her brother's guitar when there was nobody about...Fortunately for us , she first held it the "wrong way up" ...!
Some years later, as maid in the Alan Lomax household, she "let it slip" that she could play and sing .....
Jaws must have dropped when she delivered a song she had made up ........"FREIGHT TRAIN" !
She was recorded and eventually became a professional folk artist , touring widely.....
The thing is , that although Nancy Whiskey made a hit single with this song .....NOBODY can play it right if they don't hold the guitar "the wrong way up".....(the finguring and chords/phrasing are impossible for a rightie !)....Have a look..

...R I P LIBBY
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Have a go with this one from the Toy Dolls - Drooling Banjo's. Never thought punk could be so good. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

I cut and pasted as below, what did'nt i do right ?

v=DQfjm1m9MEI&feature=related
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You just need this bit Bodge

DQfjm1m9MEI

inserted between the youtube brackets where the curser is when you click the link.
Ian
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

another try with Les Paul

sFpkWBoRVHU
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Bodger you need to paste the "cut " bit in between the "[youtube]" bracket and the "[/youtube ]" bracket (these come up if you click the youtube box , next to "gallery" , in the top line of the reply box
Last edited by Bradders Bluesinger on 27 Jan 2012, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

Guitar does not come much better than this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG5Z25ker0A
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Nice one Cat...(I'm getting the hang of this)
Just a quick note about Les Paul.....I'm not entirely sure of the details , but Ithink he helped Gibson to develope their early electric guitars , and his aim was to get the instrument to sustain a note for 30seconds (not an easy spec to work to by any means ...even today) They came up with a solution that invloved different densities of wood for the body... that's why a "REAL" Les Paul Gibson has a Mahogony body with a Flame maple top laminated to it...And boy , are they heavy !(and dear)
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

another try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjGdg31Wxg
at what point do you describe "brackets "

Edited by Doc

When you want to post a Youtube Video into a topic, first goto Youtube and find the video that you want to post.

What we need is the reference AFTER the "V=" in the URL in the top of the browser, we need the bit in bold http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjGdg31Wxg Highlight this with your mouse, Right Click and select copy.

Next come back to the editor here in the topic and click on the "youtube" box next to Gallery this will give you the {youtube}{/youtube} , place your mouse between the brackets {youtube}HERE{/youtube} and right click your mouse and select paste.

This should give you {youtube}YMjGdg31Wxg{/youtube}

Thats it, your done.

Please note: for display purposes I have used { } instead of [ ] otherwise it would turn into a link.

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Bradders as you can hear i love guitar players, my earliest was Django, but ive followed a load of guys Marti n Taylor being one, maybe they are not your style, but Segovia, and Johnathan Williams are in my my collection, to me it expresses talent, i never bought a Beatles record !!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

If you point at the youtube icon at the top of the edit box it will prompt you with the part of the URL that you need

The Video ID string is the text after th v=

In the case above that will be YMjGdg31Wxg

In your post, click the youtube icon to insert the code where you want the video to appear

You will see this the cursor will be placed at the point where you need to insert the video id string

Copy and paste the video ID string inbetween the two youtube statements that are within the square brackets

see example below (you will not have the quote marks) they are only in the example so that it displays correctly in this post.

"[youtube]" put the video id string here "[/youtube ]"
Ian
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Another try, this needed 6 pints of Guinness, may not be getting closer, but worrying less

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”