HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by PanBiker »

If it was an earth leakage or imbalance between any of the conductors in the lampholder it would almost certainly trip the RCD. Flourescent type low energy lamps (or any other types) can be illuminated by large static energy fields without any electrical contact because the lamps are gas filled but this is not the case here. Maybe Tiz has found a new free source of energy.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote:Maybe Tiz has found a new free source of energy.
Haha, I like that! Brian Cox would be envious if he thought a biochemist had discovered something about energy unknown to physicists! We could feed it into the national grid but I'm not sure the rest of the population would be pleased to have their TVs flashing on and off.
Perhaps I should link a Christmas tree to it and have instant flashing lights.
(Our RCD is tripped very easily and I agree that earth leakage is unlikely.)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hubby says it's leakage across the 2 way switch wiring that is causing your ceiling light to flash. We had one led bulb in the new kitchen ceiling lights that gave out a small light despite being switched off.
Have a look at item Rg22y on the Maplin website...if you want to sort it, it goes between the terminals in the socket. :geek:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope Wendy has got the answer!
Today's tip from the Hutch is when things are abnormal, aim for the restoration of normality.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for that Wendy, I've bookmarked the appropriate Maplin page and I'll point the electrician at it when he's next here. We've got to get a new shower and we'll probably need attention from Speedy (that's what the family call him because he comes from the south-east and really is speedy and hyper compared with the more laid back local sparks!).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If the shit hits the fan, keep your head below the parapet and soldier on quietly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kipling said that a good nostrum when the cares of life attack you is to go into the garden and "dig 'til you gently perspire". My version is either the Shed or a good deep clean of the lavatory! Each to his own......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A reminder really of my regular early morning routine when I bleach my pint pot using boiling water, drop my scotch pad (my favourite washing up aid) in the pot and use my washing up brush to swirl it all round and then when I tip the bleach out into the sink, use the scotch pad to wipe down the entire sink. My pot gets filled with boiling water until the coffee is brewed and is then tipped into the sink where the hot bleach solution has had time to work in the U-bend. So I start the day with a near sterile sink, washing up brush, scotch pad and pot. The drains also benefit! Sounds compulsive and so it may be but regular habits like this can only do good.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps you should be in charge of disinfection in NHS hospitals then we wouldn't have the norovirus problem. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Given adequate funding and properly supervised in-house cleaning teams there is no reason why conditions in hospitals couldn't be improved. Any doctor will tell you this but accountants don't listen to the people on the shop floor...... This would eventually save money. I once heard a senior manager in a large company describe accountants as people who turn off radiators as they walk down a corridor.....
That could be today's tip. Adequate heating is expensive but the long term consequences of false economy are even more expensive, if not serious!
Last edited by Tizer on 31 Dec 2016, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed `could be improved' to `couldn't be improved'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We have to keep reminding ourselves to turn up our radiator thermostats instead of `meking do' with lower temperatures. We're retired and spend most of our time at home in winter. We've improved the insulation of the house and reduced the consumption of heating oil. We can afford to set the thermostats higher but it's easy to fall into old habits and skimp.

My mum could never get used to thermostat-controlled central heating. Every time the radiators cooled she accused my dad of switching off the heating. He'd protest but she wouldn't believe him because he was always tight-fisted. Those who knew him well used to say that when he opened his wallet moths flew out!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once knew a bloke who skimped on his heating by going to the pub and spending the money there. He died early of a heart attack. There's a lesson in there somewhere!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This doesn't apply to Wendy because she has done it in spades but I was reminded by Maz as I read about the redundant barbecue that it's a good idea to have a survey every now and again to identify any redundant clutter. My main worktop in my kitchen is a case in point. You may have noticed that I have gone off home made bread and as that is one of the reasons my blood sugar has dropped I shall not be going back to it. So I have decided to have a clear out, the breadmaker and the weighing scales can go and I will take a view on the underused Kenwood mixer. I can make quite an improvement in terms of clutter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It does apply to Wendy! Most of my clutter has re-emerged from where it has been hidden for 8 months! Love my clutter, it's all precious.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We too Wendy, when I did mine there were one or two comments of our choice of butchers hooks festooned with utensils and pans. I can't see any point in tidying away stuff that is used everyday, much better to organise in plain view and easily to hand. Tidiness where practically necessary but the kitchen is fully used, it's not just to look at.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When we changed our kitchen around it took me ages to get used to the new layout and I was forever opening the wrong cupboards and drawers. Perhaps that's another justification for hanging everything in sight.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, I should have qualified 'bad clutter'. My definition of it is anything that is not useful or is part of my life by virtue of the memories it transmits. I love my 'good clutter' but my point was that every now and then we should look objectively at it and decide what parts no longer qualify. That's why I threw both bread-makers in the recycling bin yesterday. (I had a spare.....) I know you are good at this because I have two excellent Cast Iron saucepans in my armoury that you gave me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a funny turn yesterday........ Big improvement!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So glad I cleared that corner out, good start to the year. I am going to turn my attention to the rest of that worktop!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of my problems is that I have expensive tastes! I've just brewed my morning pint pot of coffee, the only one I have during the day. At the moment I'm favouring Cafe Direct Macchu Picchu organic high grown Arabica, strenth 4. Far too expensive but lovely coffee. So my tip for today is to occasionally splash out and buy the best if it's something you only have once a day! (I can't drink instant coffee now)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A modern type of household tip...
If you want to buy secondhand books on a particular topic it's worth looking at web sites run by people selling related stuff. They often acquire some s/h books, or even new books, and want to get them sold quickly so they can concentrate on their mainstream sales. For that reason they price them to sell quickly and they can be a lot cheaper than on the big s/h book sites. For example, I've just ordered five s/h books on geology and mineralogy from a man who sells mineral, crystal and rock specimens. They are all in excellent condition. Three of them are at least as cheap as elsewhere, while two are classic reference books and about half the price quoted by the bigger sites. And the delivery charge is only £3.50 even though they are big books. I also like spending my money with `the little people', the small businesses! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Tiz, that's why if your tastes are esoteric enough you can find some wonderful bargains because you are the only one looking for them! This applies even on the big sites like Bookfinder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Based on yesterday's changes..... If you're worried about your hearing deteriorating try improving the quality of your domestic radio and record player!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The older I get the more I realise that if I have a serious religion it is the necessity for having a clean sink and lavatory. I might fall short in other areas like dusting but I am a paragon in these areas! This is the normal state of my sink, not cleaned specially for this pic! You only get a polish like this with a good sink (This is a German one made by Franke) and regular cleaning. What Arthur Negus used to describe as the patina.....
When I used to stay at Martha's house in Northfield she used to call me the Sink Fairy because I always left hers spotless.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Stanley wrote:Based on yesterday's changes..... If you're worried about your hearing deteriorating try improving the quality of your domestic radio and record player!
I've just been down this particular route, Steve was convinced my hearing is poor and I was convinced that he mumbles, one hearing test later, issue resolved, don't think I can stop him mumbling though. I will say it took personal courage to admit my hearing might not be what it ought and to go and do something about it,

My household tip therefore is to "just do it!"
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.

Return to “Nostalgia”