Seen in the News

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Stanley »

Estimates last night Kev are that there are at least 5,000 heavy vehicles in the queue now and still growing. The lady spokes person for the international haulage business says that even with rapid tests, the backlog will grow faster than it can be reduced. Making things even worse some genius thought up a scheme whereby the trucks at the head of the queue had to go back to Manston to be tested and then join the back of the queue. The drivers rioted. Quelle surprise!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 04:23 Estimates last night Kev are that there are at least 5,000 heavy vehicles in the queue now and still growing.
Latest news on the Sikh boys, in Gravesend, is they're still making up meals in batches of 1000 and taking them down the M20 to hand out to the stranded drivers.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

They've lost me in this BBC article. Has the beeb garbled it or is it real and just another example of crazy US politics at the moment. What puzzles me is that they seem to be saying that Trump is fighting the Republicans here. He's blocked the Democrats on foreign aid but fighting the Republican attempt to restrict covid payments to $600!
`Covid: US parties wrangle in Congress after Trump shuns stimulus bill' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think he's trying to massage his 'legacy' Peter. It'll take a bit more than that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on Trump's continued blocking of the 'pandemic bill' in congress. He's also complaining about Melania not getting enough exposure on magazine covers.
Had mail from a friend in California. A long term Democrat, he got a $2000 cheque signed by D Trump in the first hand out, he donated it to the local food bank. Good man Larry!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

How about this for fun!...
`Extreme E: Lewis Hamilton helping make racing environmentally friendly' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, I'm afraid Extreme E looks to me like a rich person's pastime disguised as climate concern.
See THIS BBC report on Trump's belated signing of the finance bill that helped 14 million unemployed withstand the worst effects of the pandemic. He must have been under a lot of pressure from all sides.
He was playing golf in Florida..... That says all you need to know about this apology for a President.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What caught my eye in the report about Trump and the signing off was this: `Republican Senator Pat Toomey said the president risked being remembered for "chaos, misery and erratic behaviour'. I'm sorry to have to inform Mr Toomey at it's not a risk but a certainty.

We won't be able stop covid type pandemics spreading if the Chinese government suppresses independent reporting...
`Zhang Zhan: China jails citizen journalist for Wuhan reports' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've heard both those reports Peter both, in their own way, surreal. If reporters are gaoled for reporting we are in trouble.
What has just grabbed me is THIS BBC report about the Russian Trawler being overwhelmed by ice in the Barents Sea. These are Russian fishermen but my heart goes out th the families. The price of fish is international.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Our politics is dead at the moment but in the US Trump is under fire yet again for obstructing transition to Biden. (LINK)
Watchers are predicting that the representatives and senate will both vote against Trump's attempt to act as Commander In Chief as he sinks into oblivion. The first time ever if this happens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on a curious story about a hoax call made by Rory Bremner to a leading Tory rebel in 1993 which caused him to abandon a revolt against Major that was planned for the Party conference at Blackpool. Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction !
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a look at THIS BBC report on the latest moves in the convoluted power struggle which is the US Presidential transition.
This gavotte is being danced while millions of US citizens are in dire poverty and need relief. As Nancy Pelosi says "These Republicans in the Senate seem to have an endless tolerance for other people's sadness."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Trump and the Senate...that's why I've kept raising this issue. Trump fighting with the Republican senators as if he was on the Democrats' side. I think he's doing it because he wants the flow of money to boost the stock market before he leaves the White House - and of course if it puts more money into people's pockets he hopes they'll put more in his Trump fund.

BBC's Laura Kuenssberg...
`Brexit bows out with a whimper, not a bang' LINK
`... the prime minister is right now simply refusing to accept that in a couple of days, even under this deal, that for a lot of businesses and individuals it's going to be more complicated, not less, to interact with our nearest neighbours. In our interview today, he just refused to admit that there would be new barriers - whether that's work permits for some European countries, different paperwork for taking your pet on holiday, more customs paperwork, some qualifications not being recognised on the other side of the Channel...the list goes on and on. In the end, Boris Johnson accepted that there would be "changes". But he seems allergic to admitting that his political choices could make it harder in many ways, even suggesting that actually businesses might find it more straightforward because, as with the rest of the world, there will be customs admin to deal with for EU countries too..'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard Johnson and he was in full head in sand mode, not admitting any delays or complications. I am making no predictions, just waiting and watching. However, I will admit that I am not an optimist, we shall see how it settles down when the 'holiday season' is ended.
On Wednesday January 20th Joe Biden will be inaugurated President. Preparations must already have been made for that. I wonder if that includes the removal van and the deep clean team to follow Trump and his entourage.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Remember Liam Byrne's `No money left' message left at the Treasury in 2015. Trump's note might say `I've taken with me that big button that was on the Oval Office desk'.

More seriously, the White House staff has been pared down dramatically by Trump and now Biden's team are having to prepare to do a major replacement and addition of staff when they get the chance.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of how and why the Republican Controlled Senate has overturned Trumps veto of the Defence Spending Bill. Only 18 days to the inauguration and gradually Trump is being rejected even by his own party.
I'm sure he has some surprises up his sleeve but the reign of the Orange One is almost over. The worst and in many ways, most tragic, choice America has ever made in an election.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Children 13 and 14 years old arrested on suspicion after a stabbing. See THIS BBC report. All I can say at the moment is that it shocks me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It has been noted that many are wanting to leave Xmas decorations up to avoid the anti-climax of taking them down just as we start a new lock down but are put off by superstitions about bad luck if they are left up. This is nonsense according to historians who point out that in fact Xmas decorations are supposed to be left in churches until Candlemass, 40 days after Xmas. (LINK)
A similar negative reaction is being given to the initiative to avoid alcoholic drink for January as a balance to over-consumption at Xmas and New Year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's good to see Keir Starmer sticking his oar in more frequently..
`Sir Keir Starmer calls for 'round the clock' vaccinations' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 11:17 It's good to see Keir Starmer sticking his oar in more frequently..
`Sir Keir Starmer calls for 'round the clock' vaccinations' LINK
He has taken me up on my suggestion for 24 hour vaccination centres. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

From The Guardian. (Thanks) We have short memories don't we?

Not much good having 24h centres if there's nothing to inject. It'll get better of course, but it may take a while. :smile:

Last summer the health secretary, Matt Hancock, boasted to parliament that “we have already secured 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine”. This became “30 million doses available by September”, which was swiftly halved to “aiming to deliver up to 15 million doses … in 2020”.
Those millions were nowhere to be seen on Monday morning, as Johnson posed for the cameras at a London hospital delivering the first doses of the Oxford vaccine. His government had only 530,000 shots ready to go, with another 450,000 due this week. Compare that with the Serum Institute of India, which already has 50 million doses ready to ship, and plans soon to make double that each month. Meanwhile in the UK, Chris Whitty and his fellow chief medical officers jointly warn: “Vaccine shortage is a reality that cannot be wished away.”
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Woke to watch the news....Gun toting American Rednecks at their very worst...storming Congress. :surprised:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The strange thing is that the good guys are wearing masks and have their guns drawn while the baddies have no masks and are taking photos.

Trump tweet..jpg
See how reasonable he is. And what's more he didn't order a nuclear strike on Iran. I agree with Tripps definitely Peace Prize material.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

After seeing Trump's address to the people via twitter, of course - I now have a better understanding of the phrase 'passive agressive'.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I wonder if all the Doomsday Preppers are getting their “bug out” gear ready...being just a hop, skip and a jump from Civil War.
What a bunch of idiots.
And Teflon Trump...well...nothing sticks to him as we all know.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”