Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 07:12 Happy New Year everyone.
Same big birthday coming my way this year, Sue.
There’s a lot of it about Wendy!

Just woken up, we had a lovely evening at our friends, but I am not sure we will be able to do it again. They were both struggling with the cooking. I was concerned about Eddie lifting things in and out of the oven, he was very shaky. I am glad that this year we had agreed that we would take the soup, and our friends took the dessert. We said we would take cheese but we had a mixed message there as we all took cheese, never seen so much cheese on a dinner table :laugh5:

I finished Erin’s little dress, I may pop over later today to give it to her.

Today we will probably take the decorations down. We always have as Julias birthday is just after Christmas and if we didn’t take them down her birthday cards etc were lost in the Christmas stuff.

Now having woken up late its time for a nice cuppa in bed before we get up.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My day yesterday was overlain with a vague sense of unease and dissatisfaction. I put it down to the end of the disruption of the holiday season, the Whatsapp failure and the fact that my current research for a BET article wasn't going well, too many dead ends! I find that as I get older, any change to the even tenor of my life has more effect.
Today will be better! 2020 beckons, I have sorted out my intended action on the Whatsapp problem and decided on a different strategy for the article.
At the back of my mind is a conversation my extended family had over the question of my age on New Year's Eve. It was interesting hearing the views of others particularly the bright young Kenyans! All beautiful and very intelligent. They decided that my secret was that I always have a goal in mind, they assumed that my current one was Margaret's visit in May but I told them it was more long term than that, I have to finish Kahara's beam engine and on present progress that will be at least a year!
So today I shall polish off the article, think about more so I can have a stockpile and not lose sight of the shed!

I have unfinished business!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I too work on long term planning. We have just booked a river cruise in Portugal for our 50 th wedding anniversary next year, we are in the process of booking a holiday to Crete in early June, having sold our June Time share. The biggest event coming up is a family reunion. Three of us are 70 this year and my sister is 60 so my sister and I have arranged a big family meal at a mutually convenient destination. Thirty were invited and 17 have accepted so far. The room we booked is for 25 suspecting some would not make it. The date is the second Bank holiday weekend.

Today definitely the decorations are coming down. Yesterday was a very lazy day. We went over to see Claire and family and took Erin’s dress. She loved it and spent all afternoon twirling. I gave Claire her second lesson her machine whilst Adam and Bob played board games with Erin. Otherwise I spent the day browsing BRITISH NEWSPAPER ARCHIVES ONLINE. I love that site, and found lots of interesting local titbits.
CBDB723D-8805-4590-92C1-AE4F96631656.jpeg
63320B40-E41A-407F-B0A9-33709DFEF11D.png
I love the cause of death on one of these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad Erin liked the dress!
What a good resource that is.... I am afraid to open it, that would be days and days of scanning!
I've had a good day so far, Written the article and sent it off, done essential shopping for milk etc. and sorted out my meals for today. On top of that I've attended to all my communications.... I shall take Jack for his second walk now and my God! that wind is cold..... Then bed will beckon for my morning sleep. I am a happy bunny.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I just love family history derived from newspapers!
I am in the situation that my son is fifth generation Australian on his father’s side ( which is not quite true, as some of his ancestors came to the new colony with parents and even grandparents in tow). No convicts here! They were free settlers who either paid their passage or worked off their fare. Some came as children, some came as adults with skills.
But the interesting thing for me, as a researcher, is that these ancestors who came from far and wide ( mostly England/Prussia/Germany/Ireland) arrived to the restrictions of a brand new colony. So that was a great leveller. No matter what you brought in your sea chest, or how much money you had or didn’t have, life was reduced to what was available. Life was what you made of it. Everyone struggled...for housing and jobs.
Then there were the elements here that were a constant challenge...disease...poor housing..drought etc.
To trace these ancestors, and find famous wine makers, hoteliers, mill owners, newsagents, politicians, etc among the generations is absolutely amazing to me.
( and let me tell you, I have read some wills that would make you faint from the wealth they held!)
Christian

Post by Christian »

Well, slightly fresh me ordered a pipe from ebay. Popped to Tescos today as it would be a shame not to try it. 50g St Bruno later...Can I pack the bowl?! Can I hell!

Time to go speak with the grandfather on how to make it work.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley will be able to advise you, Christian.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My advice is don't! Even though I have enjoyed my pipe all my life I wouldn't advise anyone to start.
Mind you, if he is dead set on it Christian is best getting practical advice from his grandfather.
There is of course a book to help you. 'The Gentle Art of Smoking' by Alfred H Dunhill. Here's a LINK to a hardback copy on Ebay for £11.49.
I shall be editing some copy for a friend and then writing another article. No shopping, butcher's is closed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Not pipe smoking, but Marilyn and I gave up smoking cigarettes 7 years ago Today. :smile:

:thankyou:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good for you. I wouldn't recommend anyone to start even though I enjoy it so much.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 09:11 Glad Erin liked the dress!
What a good resource that is.... I am afraid to open it, that would be days and days of scanning!
I've had a good day so far, Written the article and sent it off, done essential shopping for milk etc. and sorted out my meals for today. On top of that I've attended to all my communications.... I shall take Jack for his second walk now and my God! that wind is cold..... Then bed will beckon for my morning sleep. I am a happy bunny.
Its an excellent resource Stanley, if ever you want me to look anything up just ask. As you say though, time consuming I have spent a couple pf ‘chilled out ‘ days on it this week.

Its craft today, followed by lunch out, all back to normal ,
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Now I have a little job to do for you....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Seven years? Woohoo!
( I told you all the staff gathered round my hospital bed and clapped when I answered the question about smoking? I found that a bit “over the top” that it was a policy to applaud ex- smokers. I actually felt nothing at the applause...ho hum...can we move on to the real medical problem I have? Today! Right now!????)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have no doubt it was a good move. Goon on yer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just emailed you a cutting from the 1891 Huddersfield Chronicle July 7 th Stanley
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Another evening browsing online Stanley....see what you got me in to now! :laugh5: i have found evidence for political debating and visiting political speakers at Burnley Mechanics and that Political Economy was taught in 1889. One person took the exam in May, I wish I could find out who it was. Unlike other results these were not published.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't blame me! The date 1899 you mentioned for closure of the Mechanic's Institute on Jepp hill was when the Local Board had been converted into the Urban District Council. I shall have to look into the whole history!
I shall be article writing today and not working for Sue!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Had to de-head a lot of dead flowers today after the heat.
Shopping as per usual, mopped a few floors, then Ancestry. We had our walk later, then I started evening meal.
An easy and relaxed day with no timetable.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 02:47 Don't blame me! The date 1899 you mentioned for closure of the Mechanic's Institute on Jepp hill was when the Local Board had been converted into the Urban District Council. I shall have to look into the whole history!
I shall be article writing today and not working for Sue!
Sent you 4 short articles today Stanley, be email there may be many more. Shall I keep looking

Daughters birthday today, thinking of her age makes me feel old. It is also the birthday of 3 other friends and acquaintances.

Nothing planned for the day
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bosom Friends Coffee Morning (1st Saturday of the month), then taking our chairperson trustee laptop shopping. Tools for the job. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No thanks Sue. There is definitely an article in it and I will have to do my own research starting with my trusty index! I am still building for the BET so the shed has taken a back seat. I need a cushion!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Based on the updated information about Barnoldswick Mechanics Institute I continued my research into John Widdup’s education Stanley and added more to the chapter on my book yesterday. Thanks for your input there . I need to read through the chapter to check it flows properly but in the newspaper archive I found evidence of a number of political lectures he may have gone to whilst at Burnley Mechanics Institute. His early influences are beginning to fit together nicely.

This morning I shall be tackling another chapter of my book, the Heptonstall heritage. This afternoon we are at a New Year party with friends. The last holiday event ready for back to normal next week. I have renewed interest in writing my book and am hoping to get it completed in time for next year’s or should I say this year’s Christmas presents.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, you are not alone. I have been digging and found some interesting stuff. I'll send you the article when I've written it, it won't be today. One thing I have established for certain is that the building was originally a Wesleyan Chapel, see Atkinson, Old Barlick, on the site.
Also a bit of cooking but mainly research. I am ready to write tomorrow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I found that snippet too Stanley. I have emailed you my amended chapter though I am sure there will be more to add even though the file name says finished.

I am busy with Chapter 4 now, My Widdup Heritage.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My sights are on the shed and Kahara's beam engine but in order to do that I need elbow room so more writing for the BET. I have the chapter Sue, I forgot to read it yesterday. It will get done today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”