Re: Seen in the News

Post by Marilyn »

Hope they all get Covid!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been reviewing THIS BBC coverage and it's incredible. This is a US President inciting the more rabid of his supporters to attack the institution they are all sworn to uphold, the Constitution. My Whatsapp feed from the States is buzzing.
On the bright side, Biden has won the two senate seats that were up for grabs in Georgia and so the Republicans have lost control of the Senate.
Later.... see THIS sad BBC report of the children charged with murder after the stabbing in Reading. I find this as shocking as the US news.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Run this short video and if you look carefully you'll see cars lying in the hole or upended showing the scale of the event...
`Huge sinkhole appears in Italy hospital car park' BBC
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I was going to comment on Private Eye, which I am finding increasingly long winded and irrelevant these days. No shortage of content - most contributors are at home with nowt else to do I'd guess, but it simply isn't nimble enough to compete with modern digital media. Two cartoons made me smile this week though, which is above average. :smile:

Exhibit 1. From Guido Fawkes

Not ony does that illustrate the above point, but also perhaps gives a flavour of the BBC's entire attitude to Brexit. Casts a bit of doubt over their motivation for all I see. Made worse by the fact that I now have to pay the Licence fee. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll defend PE David, lots to be long winded about at the moment.
Something that is disturbing me at the moment in the BBC news coverage is the fact that contributors from the education sector being interviewed about the state of education are being asked if they endorse Gavin Williamson, I heard it on Question Time last night.
I hold no brief for Williamson and in fact suspect that he is incompetent but I don't think it is any part of the BBC interviewer's duties to try to elicit these views from interviewees.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sadly there are some complete morons in this country. When the government say tighter restrictions may be needed, perhaps it just needs tighter enforcement of the current restrictions.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-55609185
I wonder if these morons realise that the restrictions are for their benefit. If the hospitals are full of covid patients where do they think the 'usual' hospital traffic will go to be treated? Unbelievable behaviour.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As you say Kev, it's hard to believe that anyone hasn't realised the simple truth of what is happening. Perhaps the nurse who said that these are people who have never had to zip up a body bag is right. During the war it was hard to argue against a bombed house and dead bodies. Today we shield people from the consequences, perhaps we should be publishing pics of the bodies in an effort to shock the moron's.
Later. I note that pressure is mounting in the US to take immediate action against Trump. Doubtful whether this will act to get him out of the White House but I think it might concentrate his mind and I expect to hear of moves to secure further pardons and actions he has been planning to protect him and his family. He will want to make sure that these are not hampered by any sanctions against him.
I see also that he's having one last jolly in Air Force One, he's going to Texas to have a rally at the only bit of wall he has built.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Impeachment can carry over to after he is no longer President and has various benefits not least that he would be unable to stand for any elected position in the future. It would also deny him of the fairly substantial security provision by the CIA and monetary allowance made available to ex Commanders in Chief. He would effectively become just an ordinary citizen. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Some claim that a President can be impeached even after he has left office; other say unlikely... Washington Post
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I can't see any reason why not, most crimes are prosecuted long after the event itself. They still have 9 days to raise the charges while he is still in office anyway. It's only a vote in the Senate (which the Democrats now control) to start the ball rolling, support also from a number of Republicans. Long arm of the law and all that. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Trump's not only gathered a lot of supporters he's also made a lot of enemies. When he loses the protection of the secret service he'll want his own private army. We can guess where he'll get help - remember this a couple of weeks ago?...
`Trump pardons Blackwater contractors jailed for massacre of Iraq civilians' Guardian

Just what he needs to look after him and train up some of his supporters: Blackwater
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

True Peter, and very powerful enemies as well. He knows this and I am waiting for the next surprise move this week. Be sure there will be one.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of PM Johnson cycling seven miles from 'home' when everyone else has been told to stay local. I see the two ladies fined in Derbyshire have been let off. Anything to do with this report? That's what the Cummings affect does to us ordinary folk. It leads us to suspect there is one law for them and one for the rest. Don't they realise this?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I noticed on the news last night two videos of Boris cycling, one in 2016 and one in 2019, what was the idea of that?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Probably because there are no photos of the sighting in the Olympic Park. According to the BBC news report he was seen and reported by one woman.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I think it's just a case of 'Boris bashing' to be honest. There's no evidence to suggest he didn't actually cycle from no10 to Stratford and back, which is within the exercise guidelines, and as Wendy says it's just a story based on one person claiming to have seen him.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Noticeable though that No 10 didn't deny he was there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Indeed not but, if he was cycling within the exercise guidelines, I can't see how it makes national headlines...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 09:16 I can't see how it makes national headlines.
Probably because a lot of commentators are driven more by deep hatred of the Prime Minister and his party, rather than concern about the virus. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Gloria wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 08:41 I noticed on the news last night two videos of Boris cycling, one in 2016 and one in 2019, what was the idea of that?
I guess the paparazzi are having a rough time following celebrities on the off chance of taking a scoop photograph. The very existence of the picture will act as proof that they were breaking the covid rules and possibly news agencies who use them considered as accomplishes.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 09:33
Probably because a lot of commentators are driven more by deep hatred of the Prime Minister and his party, rather than concern about the virus. :smile:
Good point...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Big Kev wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 09:43
Tripps wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 09:33
Good point...
Very good point.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's being discussed on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 now. I think the government need to specify what they deem to actually be 'local'. Fancy asking the public what they think with Vine winding them up...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

On my trip to Skipton and back this morning (outside my area for medical reasons) and on a walk this afternoon (into Yorkshire, no good reason) I saw plenty cyclists and walkers. No one was asking them how far they were from home, they were just benefiting from the fresh air and exercise.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's just the talking point of the moment. It will pass.

We don't hear a lot now about Scotch Eggs. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”