Pothole Parade

hartley353

Re: Pothole Parade

Post by hartley353 »

We had our street re surfaced about three weeks ago, there wasn't one pothole in its length. Now my brand new tyres have the treads filled with chippings. Enquiries were made as to wether the road sweeper would return to brush up the loose material, I was told that wasn't the practice. There is not much point in removing the stones from the treads if they are going to be refilled again. Looks like I may have to brush them up myself, but what can I do with them when I have a large pile.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

hartley353 wrote:but what can I do with them when I have a large pile.
Use for drainage in pothole gardens...

It sounds as if you've had some surface dressing carried out (tar and chippings). This treatment seals the surface of the bitmac, preventing water getting into cracks. This helps to stop potholes developing and means the surface should last longer. As well as sealing the surface, the dressing provides better grip, reducing the risk of skidding and improving stopping distances.

Several Barlick roads are due to have this done in the next few weeks; Brogden Lane (following the patching work carried out last year), Avon Drive, Fenton Avenue and St Mary's Avenue.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Thats what we got David, surface dressing. Though I doubt that my tyre treads filled with stones have improved grip.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Memories of the East Anglian Roadstone and Tar Company (EARAT) who had a large travelling gang here in about 1958. They set up camp on the lay-by on the New Road nearest Kelbrook and did miles of road in the district. They were incredibly quick and tidy but of course did nothing else.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Talking of pouring tar on the road, I remember one journey over the Rest and be thankful on the A83 in scotland, where the powers to be laid the new surface in a heat wave. Full set of tyres destroyed by tar filling the treads, fortunately it was a hire vehicle or there would have been a lynching.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another for the collection. The dark patch closest to the camera and the one at the far corner of the pavement are recent 'repairs'. I wonder what the charge for these two was.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thanks Stanley. In the same area (Bessie Street), I had a report from a resident who spoke to the gang doing similar repairs; they said that their instructions were not to cut out etc but just put bitmac in the hole...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wouldn't mind betting that the price per hole will be eye-watering. I suspect the same applies to gulley grate cleaning. That's one of the problems with outsourcing these services, no incentive to do the job properly. There are grates in the town that have been 'cleaned' regularly but still fill up in heavy rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The county council has filled in the worst pothole in this area at the junction of Calf Hall Road with Walmsgate, but the general problem remains of a very uneven surface at a point where many pedestrians are crossing the road. The general wear and tear on the surface hasn't been helped by the numerous reinstatements where various utilities have backfilled their holes.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

On Rainhall Road, the badly potholed areas are being properly cut out and resurfaced.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I noticed this to and from work today, looks like they are going to do a proper job on this one. Big patch up near the Police station as well.
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

A decent repair on Greenberfield Lane.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks like a good job and more essential on country lanes because if not attended to a heavy vehicle like the milk or feed wagon can break through the edge and get bogged down. I've seen loaded wagons overturned by this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Something like this, Stanley?

A little further down Greenberfield Lane; one that's not been dealt with yet
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Neat trick Stanley judging a road repair by looking at the surface, good job you dont judge the books you read by the cover.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

On Rainhall Road, the large areas planed out have now been resurfaced. Smaller areas of repair, which the planing machine hasn't dealt with, have been marked out for attention.

When all that has been done, the stretch could do with surface dressing to seal all the small cracks in the wearing layer; it's not in the programme for this year, so the road may have to survive another winter open to the elements.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

hartley353 wrote:Neat trick Stanley judging a road repair by looking at the surface, good job you dont judge the books you read by the cover.
Hartley, to a large extent, the effectiveness of the repair depends on how well it keeps water from penetrating the surface. In the repair pictured, you can see the seal around the resurfaced area; this will make an effective barrier.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well, there you are, what the hell do I know about judging road surfaces after hundreds of thousands of miles driving maximum weights down country roads (and never broke through the edge). Nothing to do with book covers, all down to experience and instinct which served me well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Similar to a previous pic... the second pothole to develop at this spot on Skipton Road last winter was filled in, but that and a larger previous 'repair' is now breaking up.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once a hole develops and holds water the hydraulic effect of a tyre passing through can break even good tarmac down. The worst potholes I ever saw were in Montreal after the snow melt. I saw one one day at a major road junction that was so deep someone had but a waste basket in it to signal where it was.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Extensive areas on Skipton Road have now been marked for planing out and resurfacing; no picture as yet 'cos it's a busy road and I'll have to pick my moment to stand in the middle of it!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Not a pothole... but the nicely running culvert, or drain, under Greenberfield Lane to the West of Stocks Beck. The entrance to the culvert was blocked by debris causing the stream to back up and flow over the road.

A blocked stone culvert under Brogden Lane near Manor House Farm has been replaced with a new pipe and seems to be running well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Essential but often forgotten parts of the infrastructure. I'd love to see the Clough Mill site culvert opened up and converted to a short stretch under Walmsgate from the end of the New Ship chapel.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

We'd struggle to find the money to open up that culvert, Stanley.

The trash screen is cleared of debris regularly (it's been done recently). That's probably the best we can expect.

The Environment Agency has sacked Pendle Council from the contract to look after Critical Ordinary Watercourses. The council has done a good job of keeping these streams clear and reducing the risk of flooding, but Pendle was one of the last council's to carry this out and EA bosses have pulled the plug on the contract. I'm calling for a high level meeting with the EA in the hope that they'll change their minds.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Remind them of July 1932. The major choke points are Clough culvert and Calf Hall Beck under Carlsons. You're right about the Council doing a good job of maintaining Clough trash screen. I hope the EA are as good.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “County Council”