WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

plaques
Donor

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by plaques »

More windy stories, Mrs P helping out in the outpatients department with a doctor doing endoscopies. One rather large gentleman was undergoing examination the doctor waggling the endoscomy tube into place and getting down to look in the eyepiece broke the seal sort of speak. The outrush of wind flapped his quiff about like in a gale. The patient started chuckling, Mrs P could hardly contain herself and kept a straight face the doctor carried on as if nothing had happened. All in a days work. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well the results are just in. Received an email from Trip Advisors survey of the Travellers Best of the Best locations to visit across the whole of Europe. Number one, of which I have no doubt is the Yorkshire Dales National Park. :good: :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My new clock, we've been after a granddaughter clock for a while...
20210204_184131.jpg
I need to fit a low shelf on the wall for it, the wooden floors here have too much 'bounce' in them.

Might have to do a bit of research on the previous owner :cool4:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

https://youtube.com/shorts/g0thc0dDX4M
It has a full Westminster chime.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Benjamin Fielding Westwell married Winifred Cornthwaite in Blackburn... that should start you off on your research! :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Oh wow, thanks for that Wendy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice looking clock and won't need any batteries.
How well I feel after all the dire stories about after effects from the vaccinations.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It took me a while to get the clock level so it would keep running, it's still good this morning but had lost nearly 30 minutes in 12 hours. I've shortened the pendulum so it's now a waiting game.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 08:31 It took me a while to get the clock level so it would keep running, it's still good this morning but had lost nearly 30 minutes in 12 hours. I've shorted the pendulum so it's now a waiting game.
I've just spent weeks trying to get a Vienna wall clock running. The movement is very old and more than a bit worn. Getting it spot on in the 'level' plane was bad enough but the mountings had got tired and the mechanism was leaning forward. After many trials I've finally got it to run.
We have a full size long case clock about 7ft+ tall, its normal to screw the back of the top of the clock to the wall to stop it tilting or being accidentally knocked over. Sounds drastic but it was a normal precaution.
30 minutes in 12 hours looks as if the pendulum is not hooked up properly or that it is the wrong pendulum so unless its a very short pendulum where a small change in length can make a big difference it sounds a bit odd.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's a very short pendulum, around 4 inches. Today's project is to fit a low shelf to stand it on and a bracket to hold the top to the wall. The slightest movement upsets it :-) so once it's off the floor all should be well (hopefully).

I love the idea if a big longcase but it wouldn't really fit in here, the house is old enough but not big enough.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have a 1930's deco mantle clock in a wooden case that has a Westminster chime. Chimes part on each quarter and the whole job lot on the hour.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Does it strike 4 notes on the quarter, 8 on the half, 12 on the three quarter and then the full 16 and the 'bongs' on the hour?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes that's it Kev, a good description of the chimes. :good:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

There comes a time in life when you don't need to be reminded about the passing of time.
I've reached it. . . :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 14:00 Yes that's it Kev, a good description of the chimes. :good:
It took me a while to synchronise that too :biggrin2: it was chiming the hour on the quarter and the three quarter on the hour. At least I won't need to do that again once it's on its permanent perch.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've been 'tweaking' the pendulum length and hopefully it should be near enough there, I'll find out in the morning. It's sat on a heavy duty shelf, levelled and fixed to the wall. It's been running and chiming for over an hour so hopefully all is good.
It'll look a lot better once I've decorated the room (once the French doors have been fitted) and moved some pictures around.
20210205_170628.jpg
20210205_165934.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clocks can try your patience Kev. You're doing all the right things.
Ken, Vienna clocks can be very ticklish as the beat of the pendulum is so small. Best left well alone once they are running. Mine chimes anything it feels like doing on the hour, usually 12! I just ignore it. As long as it's keeping good time which it does, I can put up with it being eccentric!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm getting close, it's gone from losing 30 minutes, in 12 hours, to gaining 4...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

When my first hubby and I had two old family clocks ( which went with him when he left as they were his family treasures), he insisted the workings be sprayed with fly spray at certain times ( he believed the oil in flyspray was what clocks needed) and the windings be counted and done at regular intervals.
:biggrin2: Unfortunately, he never had time for such specific care, so it was my job.
:biggrin2: I handed them over in excellent shape. Both mantle clocks would be well over 120 years old now.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Been trying to validate the fly spray theory but no luck so far. All the 'experts' say to use synthetic clock oil and are horrified at things like 3-in-1 or WD40.
I'm going to leave it alone for a few months and then look at a few drops of clock oil in all the right places, presuming the mechanism comes out easily enough.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I have some proper clock oil I bought some years ago. Just a tiny bottle but lasts for ever. When you feel brave enough to open it up you're welcome to use some of mine. Anything that dries out and leaves a sticky residue is bad news for clocks.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 10:35 I have some proper clock oil I bought some years ago. Just a tiny bottle but lasts for ever. When you feel brave enough to open it up you're welcome to use some of mine. Anything that dries out and leaves a sticky residue is bad news for clocks.
That's very kind, thank you.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 10:35 Anything that dries out and leaves a sticky residue is bad news for clocks.
Same reason to use Isopropyl Achohol as opposed to Methylated Sprit as a cleaning agent in electronics. The additive dye in Meths leaves a nasty sticky residue behind when the Ethanol base has evaporated.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There's lots of information on t'internet about how to clean and lubricate clock mechanisms. I'm working on the 'just give it a drop of oil every couple of years' principle. It's not an expensive clock but it's quite old and has a little bit of history so it's worth keeping going, I just can't justify the cost of having it professionally serviced :-)
I did notice a faint WD40 smell so it looks like it's going to need a clean and oiling. Isopropyl Achohol and a soft brush seems to be the best cleaning option, a job for the warmer weather I reckon as doing it on the dining table could be frowned upon :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clock oil is interesting stuff. I don't know what the modern oils are but the classic clock oil for centuries was made by exposing Neat's Foot Oil to daylight for a long time, some said 12 months. Then decant the clear oil on top into another bottle and repeat the process. The best oils spent 3 years in the process. I have some also Kev if you want to borrow it. (Or you could get your own mineral clock oil for a fiver.... LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”