Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Good! I woke up this morning thinking about your machine Sue! I'm glad it was simple.
My compressor is holding pressure so that went well.
Today I shall do a lathe check.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Thanks Stanley. Andrew at Lords was very helpful indeed. He collected the machine from us at the back gate and said he would see what it was and get back to us. That took just 10 minutes. He said a piece of thread had fallen into the mechanism so he took it apart, cleaned it and re lubricated and had it back to us still sat in the car, within 40 minutes. It worked beautifully and I could pick up the pattern where I left it using the number settings I had written down. But then the gods were against me because I messed up big time by managing to sew the bag straps into the embroidery . I was so intent on checking the design was OK I forgot to check the fabric was free from underneath the embroidery frame. Infact I managed to sew the frame on to the bag which was quite funny...but not funny at the time. Anyway instead of using scrap fabric I have been able to but a softer denim which will be more appropriate. It should arrive at the weekend.

In the afternoon we did a three mile loop past the waterfalls and back and we both declared that our boots were now able to do a longer walk. This morning I have pilates , then Bob is going to trim the sides, fringe and back of my hair whilst there is still a shape to follow. Then I think if the weather is fine it will be a walk, if not I will cut out Erins birthday dress. In the evening I have a zoom meeting with friends .

Have a good day all.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

When you clean your machine Sue, do you take the throat plate off, take the bobbin and hook race out entirely? ( I always do). Then I get a clear view down to the workings underneath and use the fluff brush and pop a tiny drop of oil on the arms underneath.
Like you, I have been sewing for many years. Some machines I can strip every panel off entirely and there are no workings I can’t find! I would have made a great mechanic. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I messed up big time by managing to sew the bag straps into the embroidery"
Sorry to report I laughed at you Sue. That's exactly the sort of thing I do in those circumstances. You'll do what I do and find a way round it.

This piece of stock is 14" long outside the jaws and after turning all the muck and rust of it there's only half a thou difference between the ends, so well within limits. A very good outcome and no ill effects whatsoever from my smash. :biggrin2:
'In Our Time' now on R4. They're talking about Cuthbert, one of my favourite saints.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 08:47 When you clean your machine Sue, do you take the throat plate off, take the bobbin and hook race out entirely? ( I always do). Then I get a clear view down to the workings underneath and use the fluff brush and pop a tiny drop of oil on the arms underneath.
Like you, I have been sewing for many years. Some machines I can strip every panel off entirely and there are no workings I can’t find! I would have made a great mechanic. :biggrin2:
Yes I clean it regularly, this was a piece of broken thread, that I don’t remember breaking in a not very accessible part of the machine, not down by the bobbin . I call it the take up loop that feeds the thread to the needle . It was a part Can only be accessed by unscrewing the side panel which Bob did but could see no sign of thread . The hand wheel would not turn and the lever would not budge. As it had a years warranty we decided not to mess and just phoned the service line. Andrew gave us a few things to try but nothing worked so he said to bring it in first thing in the morning.

He said a piece of thread had got dragged into the mechanism . I didn’t even recognise the thread colour Andrew removed as I don’t normally use pale blue. If it was what I think it could be it was Brothers own embroidery thread that I may have used early December but I don’t remember it breaking . So it's some time ago and several pieces of sewing ago as well as several normal cleans . Bob removed some green that broke in that feed when I was doing all those Christmas coasters at the end of November .

There was no sign of a problem. The sewing was perfect, the machine just started juddering. The error message was the needle was bent, so I changed the needle. Just to be sure I decided to rethread too , but when I came to the take up lever it had disappeared into the machine.

All is well now.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 09:07 "I messed up big time by managing to sew the bag straps into the embroidery"
Sorry to report I laughed at you Sue. That's exactly the sort of thing I do in those circumstances. You'll do what I do and find a way round it.

Exactly Stanley but there was no solution, you can’t unpick complex embroidery so I cut the frame out and ordered some more fabric from Amazon. Its due this afternoon . I did laugh later . This things are meant to try us 🤣🤣
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Must admit.... :geek: ...I have never had my take up lever disappear on me before... :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just a thought Sue. It might have been in their ever since the manufacturers tested the mechanism and that's why you don't recognise it...
I shall be in the shed for an hour before going to the Co-op early doors for the weekly shop. I shall be making 3 of these.....

I have had requests. Fine by me as it's a lot cheaper than shelling out a lot of money for castings. Anyway, apart from that, I have got beam engines (and 7BA threads!) out of my system.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I thought that Stanley, however this was a a pre owned 18 month old machine that had a full service before it was sold to me. Andrew told me that one of the things they do in the service is to check this part of the mechanism as there are often bits of thread trapped there. Yes Maz, this was a whole new experience for me 😆.

The replacement fabric for Eves bag arrived last night, so I managed to get it washed and hung in the airing cupboard to dry overnight but I am not sure I will have much time for sewing today. I hava busy morning with dance exercise followed by a quick shower and change before U3A craft on zoom. I am leading the session this week, having offered yo make paper flowers. I found some unusual ones on you tube that look very effective .Then this afternoon I have to Whats app Eve early for our weekly chat and cookery session. This week she is making the evening meal for the family ( not bad for an 11 year old) from a recipe book she got for Christmas . Her message to me said she would be starting straight after school finished at 3.00.pm

Yesterday was a bit of a grey day with showers and occasional low cloud. We didn’t walk , instead I finished my whale table runner, cut out Erin’s dress and started a new jigsaw. This one is as far removed as possible from the last one being nice bright colours and a clear image to follow.

Have a good day
B809FB0F-D1BA-44B5-ACFA-7F49876E5CBC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like whales Sue..... I've just finished unpacking and stowing away my shopping. 45 minutes of your life blown away. I'll post on shed matters......

I have orders for three carronades. I have slugs ready for two and am working on the other one.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Had a phone call this morning, could we get to the vaccination centre in 30 minutes. Of course we could, got there in 15 😆
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 07:53 I like whales Sue..... I've just finished unpacking and stowing away my shopping. 45 minutes of your life blown away. I'll post on shed matters......

I have orders for three carronades. I have slugs ready for two and am working on the other one.
I like this, very nice, very tactile
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 15:54 Had a phone call this morning, could we get to the vaccination centre in 30 minutes. Of course we could, got there in 15 😆
Excellent stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue. I got a time as well that fits with my circumstances, 05:46 on Thursday the 2nd of February the lady said and I repeated it back to her after I had written it down. I put the phone down and then it struck me, I checked and of course that's an incorrect date. It took a while to get back to her but she apologised and yes, it's Thursday the 4th!
So today I shall be mainly not thinking about vaccination! I shall be in the shed with Sue's tactile lumps (Thanks Sue I agree!) But I have an idea that I have made things harder for myself using that grade of steel!
I shouldn't grumble. It's out of the scrap box so it was free and an off-cut.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A lot of my friends and both brothers were vaccinated yesterday. It must have been a busy day all over the UK. Glad you have a day and time Stanley, though it seems to have taken a long time to get to you. My older friends had theirs weeks ago. Anyway its a start.

It was a weird day yesterday, I seemed to drift from one thing to another after a very hectic morning. I didn’t take the zoom craft group as I had been called for the vaccination. I got back in time for a chat before the end of the meeting. It was then a late lunch and only an hour before I was to Whats app for stage one of Eves cookery lesson. Ie her showing me. Yesterday she made chicken burgers and sweet potato wedges from a Gordon Ramsey cookery book she got for Christmas. We chatted for 45 minutes whilst she did her first preparation. She wanted to show me her medal for cycling 50 mikes in January, an online virtual challenge. I just managed to press the new fabric for her bag when it was time for stage two of the cookery lesson, ie preparing the burgers, chopping the sweet potatoes and popping everything in the oven. Stage three was eating the burgers. I was beginning to feel hungry after all of this ! Well done Eve, I was impressed.

This morning is Bacup market. It was supposed to snow it is certainly windy and cool. The day will be planned after our shopping trip out but if we don’t walk I have a bag and a small dress to make. I shall whats app Briony at 4.30 this afternoon

Have a good day everyone
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

(gawd I hate Sweet Potato...I would rather have Pumpkin or Zucchini )

We grocery shopped early with a list...in and out with a trolley full in under 30 mins. The checkout girl did comment that we would be back home before most folk had climbed out of their beds. Well...that is how we choose to live nowadays!
Went for a walk after that, still early, though maybe some had climbed out of their beds by then...
I did a lot of thankless but time consuming jobs this afternoon whilst hubby was on his computer - nothing of much importance, but refilling things like the tea/coffee/sugar/flour caddies, wiping surfaces, trips to the recycling bin, trips to the green waste bin, cleaning out the fridge, folding washing, harvesting Rhubarb, cooking Rhubarb, making a thick Custard to set cold over said Rhubarb, sorting a load of books for the charity shop.
Let’s just say I kept myself busy!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"though it seems to have taken a long time to get to you."
That was my fault Sue because I was protesting about being told to shield and stay in the house and then offering me an 80mile round trip to get vaccinated. I have an evening appointment at Colne which is manageable and it's all set up.

Today's job was boring all three slugs 1/2" and 4.5" deep and cleaning the exteriors up. It took a good two hours but they are all done. Boring deep holes can be dangerous so you have to be careful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 08:04
We grocery shopped early with a list...in and out with a trolley full in under 30 mins. The checkout girl did comment that we would be back home before most folk had climbed out of their beds. Well...that is how we choose to live nowadays!
And us, there were three in the market this morning plus us, so a stall each 🤣 in rotation. Home now with fresh warm croissants and coffee. Its bitterly cold out there and very windy indeed. 0.5 degrees in Bacup with a light covering of snow on the hills. The main shopping will arrive by delivery tomorrow morning and apart from walking thats our outings for the week over.

Briony hates sweet potato too so Eve did ordinary potatoes for her.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That round trip is pretty appalling Stanley, where on earth was the vaccination centre. How many centres are there now for your area? I thought we were badly off with only two in the Rochdale borough until last week ( now we have 4) . Some areas of Greater Manchester are using big leisure centres. We don’t have anything like that. But apparently the NW is way ahead of the vaccination game compared to the rest of the country.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 08:49 "though it seems to have taken a long time to get to you."
That was my fault Sue because I was protesting about being told to shield and stay in the house and then offering me an 80mile round trip to get vaccinated.
I thought I had read that you were offered one in Colne before Christmas. It was in another thread.
Stanley wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 13:57 The surgery rang and offered me a vaccination tomorrow at Colne but I told them I couldn't travel and am quite happy to wait until after Xmas when hopefully the vaccines will be available in Barlick.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 09:58 That round trip is pretty appalling Stanley, where on earth was the vaccination centre. How many centres are there now for your area? I thought we were badly off with only two in the Rochdale borough until last week ( now we have 4) . Some areas of Greater Manchester are using big leisure centres. We don’t have anything like that. But apparently the NW is way ahead of the vaccination game compared to the rest of the country.
There are 10 for East Lancashire
St Peter's Centre, Burnley
Acorn Primary Health Care Centre, Accrington
Yarnspinners Primary Health Care Centre, Nelson
Colne Health Centre Pharmacy, Colne
Rawtenstall Primary Health Care Centre, Rawtenstall
Clitheroe Health Centre, Clitheroe
Barbara Castle Way Health Centre, Blackburn
Darwen Health Centre, Darwen
The hospital vaccination hubs are:
Royal Blackburn Hospital
Burnley General Hospital
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Gosh, they are spread out for such a population density.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I never really looked at it like that, probably a selfish view but I'm only 20 minutes walk from Colne Health Centre and didn't consider they may send me elsewhere when my number is called.
On a similar note, I've been randomly selected to take part in covid testing research.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I received my letter today from the NHS offering me a vaccination at one of the mass vaccination centres, the nearest being Halifax, Bradford or Blackburn Cathedral. I think I'll wait till Earby Surgery gets in touch.
It is Col's birthday today and we enjoyed a Zoom drink with our friends and ex neighbours in Scotland. It's been a tough couple of days for Col so it was a treat to chat with old friends. :smile:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 19:09 I received my letter today from the NHS offering me a vaccination at one of the mass vaccination centres, the nearest being Halifax, Bradford or Blackburn Cathedral. I think I'll wait till Earby Surgery gets in touch.
It is Col's birthday today and we enjoyed a Zoom drink with our friends and ex neighbours in Scotland. It's been a tough couple of days for Col so it was a treat to chat with old friends. :smile:
Are you sure there will be one in Earby, Wendy. I am not aware that surgeries generally will be giving the vaccine. I thought, perhaps mistakenly , that vaccination centres were going to be the norm. I thought only a few surgeries had been selected. Perhaps it will change after mid February
Happy birthday to Col, glad you had a pleasant chat on zoom

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”