TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Tizer »

We've had very strong winds down here and our wheelbarrow has twice been blown across the garden!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As I was coming back from our afternoon walk the cleaning cart of the lady who looks after our public toilets was blown into the Pioneer car park. Violent wind and rain hammering on my back as we headed for the hutch, a vile day! At 20:00 it was dry and the wind had dropped a bit. First thing this morning we have large separate clouds and stars between. The glass fell yesterday south of 985mb but has risen since then to 997mb. The forecast is for a mixed day, light showers possible until daybreak, then clear and sunny but rain coming in for time in the early afternoon. The constant SW wind is lighter but still gusty giving a high of 4C and a low of 0C with a wind chill of -5C in the heaviest wind. A colder but in some ways better day. The outlook is cold and cloudy with showers, possible snow at times later in the week. It's winter.
06:05. Not a bad walk. Dry, clear sky and a big almost full moon. Stiff cold breeze though and full Mother Russia was a good idea. The large east emitter in the Town Square is wagging about in the wind. There is a car parked on the pavement and grass outside Forester's Buildings, some clothes and an umbrella laid on the grass. The windscreen is shattered, it looks suspiciously as though a pedestrian has been hit and bounced off the screen. Very bad news for someone.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 03:56 There is a car parked on the pavement and grass outside Forester's Buildings, some clothes and an umbrella laid on the grass. The windscreen is shattered, it looks suspiciously as though a pedestrian has been hit and bounced off the screen. Very bad news for someone.
It was indeed a pedestrian, the road was closed for a while last night while the emergency services dealt with the incident.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev. What a great Xmas present. I hope the pedestrian isn't too badly injured but the body evidently hit the windscreen full on, looks like speed involved? So sad and of course it has exercised my mind of late after a couple of near misses. Reflective clothing for all?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Colne and West Craven Police
11 hrs ·
#WestCravenNHPT

Tonight your local neighbourhood Policing team have had the unfortunate task of dealing with a second serious RTC in as many days.

Fortunately all persons involved in both collisions (Wellhouse Road yesterday, and Fern Lea Avenue tonight) we believe are going to be OK.

I would personally like to thank all the great people in the area for their assistance with both incidents, dealing with the injured, and directing traffic making our job so much easier. It really is appreciated.

Thank you

#PoliceandCommunitiesTogether
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev. Glad it wasn't a fatal report like the one at Ben Lane. We seem to be in the wars at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast yesterday was right, a clear spell late morning, rain in early afternoon and clearing again afterwards. At 20:00 it was cold, breezy and dry under broken cloud. First thing this morning it was cold, dry, light breeze and a hazy sky, the moon has a halo. Still the same. The glass is down on 989mb and still falling. The forecast is for a cloudy but mainly dry start, serious rain comes in at noon and persists for the rest of the day. The constant Southerly wind is strongest this morning and slowly abating during the day but always moderate and gusty. The high is 4C and the low 3C. The wind chill is -5C at the moment but gradually lessens with the wind to-2C later. The effect is it feels like -3C out there at the moment, Mother Russia gear indicated! As usual, take note and wrap up well, it's December!
06:00. Back after an acceptable walk because it was dry. However it is bitter cold in that wind and any surfaces exposed to it are shot ice, like the Town Square, the Pioneer car park and odd patches of pavement. The cloud is thin and high and doesn't block the full moon in the NW. A typical December morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a lousy day, just as forecast. At 20:00 last night the cloud was breaking and it was dry but breezy and cold. Same first thing this morning, dry, cold, high broken cloud and a full moon. No change as yet. The glass is dire, it has crashed to below 963mb, one of the lowest readings I have ever seen. (Matches my mood...)
The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, heavy rain will come in and basically last all day with some occasional breaks in the cloud. The west wind is constant and moderate giving a high of 6C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of -4C all day. Tomorrow looks even worse with a chance of occasional wintry showers. Lousy weather.....
06:35. We were lucky, apart from a light spatter of rain when we went out we had a dry walk but I have no doubt it will deteriorate. The crossing at Post Office Corner is still operating independently, it changed for me this morning as I walked towards it but before you say it's a sensor, it is happening when nobody is anywhere near it. No papers this morning, the theory is that they have delayed deadline to get the Exit Poll in. At least Jack kept dry!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was again nasty but I was lucky, had three dry walks. At 20:00 we had cold heavy rain. This morning first thing it was dry, very light breeze and a mostly clear sky with a brilliant moon. There are still large clear patches and we have a moon but we have also had a recent heavy shower. The glass fell below 964mb yesterday but by teatime was rising very slowly, it's still rising slowly but is on 970mb, a very low value. The Forecast is basically for rain, and later sleet, all day. The constant WSW wind will be strong and gusty giving a high of 4C and a low of 0C with a wind chill of around -6C all day, the warmest it will feel is -2C, deep joy! Mother Russia and waterproofs today,
05:45. I set off in full waterproofs and Mother Russia with the intention of just having a short walk but we hit a lull in the rain and so went the full Valley Garden walk. Apart from a heavy short shower as we got back into Church Street we got away with it. The eastern emitter in the Town Square is erect again and lit but missing the top third, it must have been defective and in need of TLC.
Very cold and I have news for the Met Office, the sleet has arrived already!
07:00, Heavy hail shower.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sending :sunny:
What is your Christmas Day forecast?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Too soon to predict with any accuracy Cathy. Perth and Melbourne weather figured in our news. It seems there are forecasts of your hottest day ever a bit further North in NSW....
09:45. Just had our second walk and a bit of veggie and fish shopping. Hail showers are rolling i8n one after another and the Council are gritting. Do they know something about later possibilities?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a gloomy horror story. At 20:00 we had heavy cold sleety rain. First thing this morning it was wet snow and an inch of slush in the yard, the roofs were white as were the parked cars. I've just looked out and it's snowing heavily with a moderate wind. The glass rose slowly all day yesterday and is still doing the same but we still have 975mb, a very low value. The forecast is for wintry showers with occasional clear spells all day. The constant moderate SW wind gives a high of 3C and a low of 2C with a severe wind chill of up to -6C giving us actual sub-zero temperatures all day. Deep joy and a poor welcome for the little bundle we are waiting for!
[It will be wintry up at Wendy's!]
05:50. It was still snowing when we went out but had stopped by the time we reached the top of the back street, Gott sei dank! Barlick is covered by an inch a slushy snow on both pavements and roads. At the moment it's not cold enough to freeze it but the cold usually strengthens at this time of the morning. It's bad at the moment but could get much worse. Cars on the road are flying past with mostly gay abandon sending sheets of slush flying, some are more sensible, no wonder insurance rates are high! Jack was having a good walk, it was still not snowing or sleeting. We didn't do the full walk but crossed the road and I let Jack run free up the Green. I'm all for rational exercise but bugger a pantomime, it is very treacherous underfoot. Back inside now warm and dry, Jack has had his sausage and is feeling no pain. By any measure this is a horrible morning and the less we are out in it the better!
My mind goes out to any rough sleepers who are out there... It doesn't bear thinking about.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thinking of you all. Take Care Out There.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Pics?!
But don't risk life and limb and ancient hip joints to get them!

( they would help so much in 40C temperatures for the next 4 days)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Greater love.... Here you are. Lousy quality because it's pitch dark. Snowing again and the wind chill is taking us down to at least -3C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Lovely day to take part in the Santa Fun Run! (At walking pace of course).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit later. Snowing heavily, big flakes. Deep Joy!
Fun run Wendy?? Forget it! Go back to bed .
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The gritters are working on the road outside, going very slowly so they must be using their snow ploughs. I think the fun run might get cancelled.....
We have a couple of inches at least.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Facebook says the Fun Run is still on.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We just put the ponies out for a play in the snow and walked up to the road. The snow is between 3 and 6 inches deep with a bit of drifting. I had to go around the paddock knocking snow and ice off the electric fencing tape with a stick, the weight was dragging it down. The light is a bit dull for good pics.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Big Kev wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 08:54 Facebook says the Fun Run is still on.
Not sure if I fancy the drive down the hill, there are still people struggling on the road despite the snow plough and gritters.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Wow! I'm coming over! In my shorts and T-shirt! Looks "refreshing".
Sleeping with no bed covers at all tonight, hoping the nightie doesn't ride up...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A couple of photos to cool you down Maz & Cathy.
20191215_082230.jpg
20191215_083251.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

OMG.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That is an official doona day if ever I saw one :laugh5:

Return to “Seasons”