TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Wendyf »

I've chickened out of doing the fun run, I don't fancy driving down.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sat here drinking a cup of tea (no sugar) but eat a large chunk of carrot cake with a thick layer of icing thinking what should I do next? Ping, lightbulb moment, I know I'll have a nap.

PC150361.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 09:02
Big Kev wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 08:54 Facebook says the Fun Run is still on.
Not sure if I fancy the drive down the hill, there are still people struggling on the road despite the snow plough and gritters.
I was forgetting you're a bit higher up than the rest of us :-)

It's melting down here.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Santa Fun Run went of OK with no injuries, shipwrecks or drownings. I saw Margaret at the finish Wendy. :santa2: :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I reckon it was a wise decision Wendy. Love the pic of Dennis and Parky getting some fresh air and exercise.
True, it thawed slowly yesterday but slush underfoot and very cold all day. At 20:00 it was dry, breezy and cold, still slush underfoot. First thing this morning, cold, broken cloud with a moon, dry and slush gone. It's still the same. The glass is stationary on 985mb. The forecast is for rain from 06:00 to 09:00 then sunny intervals and dry for the rest of the day. The constant SW wind is moderate and gusty all day giving a high of 4C and a low of 0C with a wind chill starting at -5C and maintaining -4C for most of the day. Better day than yesterday, a lot depends on what the precipitation is this morning, if rain, not too bad. The outlook is similar weather Tuesday and Wednesday then warmer and wetter for the rest of the week.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Lovely pics...and you have beautiful Windows, Plaques.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back from a cold but acceptable walk. Mostly clear underfoot but occasional sneaky patches of hard packed slush that needed treating with caution. Very cold when you got fully exposed to the wind.
The future of what was the Polish shop on Church Street becomes clearer. I could see in this morning and there are sinks and barber's chairs, looks as though we are about get yet another hair and beauty establishment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

The Polish shop? Did it sell Cabbage Soup and Vodka?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Marilyn wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 10:26 The Polish shop? Did it sell Cabbage Soup and Vodka?
And various strangely named sausages.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes they did. Kev's right about the sausage. I tried some of them. They must be some of the most highly preserved sausages in the world but very tasty!
Yesterday was an improvement underfoot but some slippy patches persisted. Last night at 20:00 it was calmer and clearing, dry and cold. This morning first thing we had a clear sky and hard frost, it's still the same. A feint and very big halo round the moon, almost like a rainbow. The glass is up slightly on 991mb and steady. The forecast is for a dry day until late tonight with lots of cloud. The wind is light and changeable, starts ESE then northerly and ends up as SW. High of 3C and a low of 0C with a -2C wind chill most of the day. Quiet bit cold, wrap up warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

This shows our differences, not the best either way.
C30D7B28-D0C8-499E-8828-262FA28D31A5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And those charts don't mention wind chill, a massive factor Cathy, the wind governs the actual perceived temperature.
We have only done a short walk. Long enough for Jack to have his first delivery and collect his weemail running free on the Green. This is essential for a happy dog! Especially on a morning like this which is perfect for scent....
The reason for the short walk is the fact that it is shot ice underfoot, the slight mist is freezing on the ground and it's very dangerous for us Oldies. No sign of any gritting being done, certainly none on the pavements. It isn't making any difference to most of the cars on the road but I note that the wagons and buses are treading very carefully.
It's misty and that seems to be increasing. In short, not a good walking morning! Be careful out there. I am glad we have done our job and got back safely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh....now I have been caught out, because I thought the Polish Shop sold Beeswax Polish etc! ( polish!)
I was only having a dig about the Cabbage Soup and Vodka!
See what words can do to our minds? What is a Polish Shop (as in sausage etc) doing in Barlick? Thought you would me more into dusting and polishing...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2:

Just had our second walk. It's still icy underfoot, very treacherous. The mist has thickened as well, you can't see into Eastwood Bottoms from our back street.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A better afternoon yesterday, light rain came in at 16:00, a bit earlier than forecast. At 20.00 the sky was clear and it was dry. First thing this morning, dry, overcast and calm but not as cold. Same now but the sky has cleared, we have a moon now with a halo. The glass is up on 1000mb and still rising slowly. The forecast is clear until about 11:00 then clouding over and rain after dark. The constant moderate wind is mainly southerly and gives a high of 4C and a low of 4C with up to -5C wind chill depending on wind strength.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our temperature has gone up , it’s 43C today and same for tomorrow.
21063482-34F9-48C8-84E6-053A03E4B5B8.jpeg
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And up to 48C is forecast as the hot weather moves across the country. We have lots to be thankful for!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Febby just some crumbs out for the birds...water too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning's shipping forecast told the story of the next few days. A low with winds as bad as violent storm force 11 is heading in and will hit the West country. Mr and Mrs Tiz could be seeing some wild weather.
The clear skies earlier this morning triggered a sharp frost which has frozen the wet pavements and they are shot ice. That being the case, discretion is the best part of valour. We have only done a short walk governed by Jack's bowel and bladder movements. No shame in that!
Only one matter of interest. A car drew out right in front of the double decker Aldi wagon which delivers at this time of the morning at the Station Road junction. How they missed a collision is a mystery. You can't legislate for absolute stupidity like that, bad enough in good conditions but in the dark during a sharp frost it's close to a suicide bid.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We were out for our walk early (well...8am) to beat the heat. It was 26C then and heading toward 42C later.
I shall be lowering the blinds shortly and doing quiet activities. The house is blessedly cool, so we are not struggling so long as we stay inside.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

:sad:
0FD500E3-190C-48F1-86B2-B3913828A7FB.png
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We also have a warm morning, 9C! thanks to a warm wind from the SW. The rain came in as forecast yesterday and at 20:00 we had it calm and rain. The glass is down on 990mb. This morning we can expect showers in the next two hours than a bright sunny day until late afternoon when rain comes in again. The wind is a moderate southerly and gives us 9C all day and 6C as a low with a -2C wind chill. Very acceptable!
Just seen your post Cathy. Too hot for us!
05:00. heavy rain now. Do we wait a while to see if it bates? Decisions, decisions!
06:20. a wet walk but could have been worse. It was raining heavily when we went out but slackened as we went on, by the time we were back home it had ceased. Main thing is it's very mild, no ice!
The middle section of the eastern emitter is out this morning.... On the whole a decent walk for this time of the year.
08:55. We've had our second walk and it's OK out there, mild, dry and cloud breaking nicely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

0EB4BB54-1973-4C72-B9A5-1E473FB485FA.png
Cool change is on it’s way. Should be 22C by 10.00pm tonight. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That will be a relief Cathy!
Yesterday it started light rain at 15:00 but at 20:00 it was dry, light breeze and broken cloud. This morning it's clear, dry and a light breeze but still mild. The glass is down on 975mb, looks like another windy wet spell coming in. The forecast is for rain around 04:00 to 07:00 then dry and overcast with a chance of a shower this afternoon. The constant southerly wind is light giving a high of 7C and a low of 4C, -2C wind chill at the moment rising to -3C later. Looks like a wet walk to the butcher's.
06:40. Back in the hutch after a dry walk on a calm mild morning, the forecast rain hasn't arrived yet.
The shipping forecast gives some clues about the weather we can expect for the next few days including Xmas day. The overall picture is that the whole of the Atlantic is a mass of low pressure systems, all of them moving our way. So the expectation is at least a week of similar weather to the last couple of days. Just for starters, the glass is still falling and is almost down to 970mb, a very low value. So no chance of a white Xmas!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”