Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Wendyf »

Awful news about the cat Sue, poor girls. :sad:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sorry the cats sternum is flattened not broken. She made it through the night. Hope she is ok
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 07:53 Awful news about the cat Sue, poor girls. :sad:
Yes dreadful. Eve is devastated but holds it all in. Briony is more openly distraught.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Fingers crossed for her. Cats are such vulnerable little creatures.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sue , hoping for the best for the poor puss.
🙁 😿
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of sympathy here Sue, I have had my share of nursing animals after attacks..... Be ready for the regression after the first spurt of healing, it's so common.
Much quieter here, I have just come out of the shed.

Here's the crank with its crank pin fitted. This was not as easy as it looks, have a look at shed matters for the details.

Breakfast now and back to bed for second sleep.
I shall be thinking about the cat.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cazza’s dear old cat hasn’t been too flash lately either...though an indoor cat, so no attacks...
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sorry to hear that Maz. Pets, who'd have them.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 07:55
Wendyf wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 07:53 Awful news about the cat Sue, poor girls. :sad:
Yes dreadful. Eve is devastated but holds it all in. Briony is more openly distraught.
Hopefully the cat will make a recovery, especially as it's their first pet.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks for your messages of concern . Maz mentioned indoor cats, in fact Flakey is more or less that, so this attack comes as a huge shock. I think Flakey only went outside on rare occasions mainly when the girls go out . She is a very timid rescue cat. They are having building work done at the moment so she may have gone outside because of the stress of that. I just found a whats app recording on my phone this morning from Eve. I feel bad because she obviously wanted to chat. Anyway we have exchanged a few messages this morning and she has now left for school . I have sent hugs and said she should think positive thoughts. I bet she has a bad day at school but at least it will keep her mind occupied
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We are past pets, financially, I think Wendy. Honestly...the price of Vet care...unbelievable! ( having had a diabetic dog I had to inject with Insulin twice a day and buy needles and syringes...it was crippling)
No more pets for us. We are done. Plus our dog had a knee replacement. Vet care costs have priced us out of caring for a dog or cat. Sad really, as they can give such love...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

(I like the name, Flakey). :good:
I had a beautiful HUGE marmalade cat called Basil ( a magnificent, darling cat that my son and I still remember with much love) He was followed by a tabby cat called Daisy. ( Daisy was a cantankerous rescue cat...a different kettle of fish altogether...not loving at all...yet my son’s choice at the animal shelter...and I cared for her but I can’t say we ever really got along. But the dog loved her and son loved her and she certainly got a corner of our bed during winter months, which she shared with the dog. She had a good life.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right about cost Maz. It cost £150 to put Jack down and cremate him. Can't help thinking it must be profitable!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 09:37 (I like the name, Flakey). :good:
I had a beautiful HUGE marmalade cat called Basil ( a magnificent, darling cat that my son and I still remember with much love) He was followed by a tabby cat called Daisy. ( Daisy was a cantankerous rescue cat...a different kettle of fish altogether...not loving at all...yet my son’s choice at the animal shelter...and I cared for her but I can’t say we ever really got along. But the dog loved her and son loved her and she certainly got a corner of our bed during winter months, which she shared with the dog. She had a good life.)
We have had a number of cats over the years, some adorable (mainly neutered males) , some with attitude( mainly neutered females) , some totally devoted to us, others that couldn't care less. I love them, but we too are petless now, though with girls both getting cats recently I realise what we are missing.

So far so good from the vet
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 20:14 We always enjoy doing a circular walk from Kelbrook to Foulridge, up Cob Lane, down past Noyna then back by Old Stone Trough Lane. It's about 4.5 miles sticking to the roads.
We did Skipton Old Road, Cob Lane and back down Noyna Road to home, the views are stunning up there. I feel a photography opportunity coming on once the sun comes out :biggrin2:
Screenshot_20210322-122910_MapMyWalk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good walk isn't it? We usually park in Kelbrook by the church, which adds another few hundred yards! :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Certainly is, we're so lucky to have all this on our doorstep.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Looking forward to a walking visit.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 13:10 Looking forward to a walking visit.
I've only lived in the area since 2004 so am still discovering lots of places to walk.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We have lived here since 1973 and have discovered so much since October last year :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:biggrin2: :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall not be walking far today, just round the Green at midday. I shall be in the shed though making something small for the wobbler. Haven't decided what yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

No news about poor Flakey. The vet kept her in for another night. No doubt I will hear more later.

Today looks like another cloudy, sunny dry day. I plan to do the compost sifting that I said I would do on Saturday. I need to get the task finished before the pear tree arrives at the weekend. I shall also plant my pumpkin and butternut squash seeds this morning. This afternoon we plan on a walk and if I have time I shall trace and cut out the pattern for Briony’s dress, having finished my top yesterday.

Just a question Maz, have you ever done any heirloom embroidery on your machine using a winged needle. I have bought some fine white lawn to make myself a top, having practiced the technique one day last week. I wondered if you had done any and if you have, can you offer any advice. Otherwise I shall just dive in and see how it develops.

We had a successful afternoon yesterday up at the church. We cleared 24 gravestones of ivy and bramble as well as a bit of general clearing. We have hit a bad patch now and need to go back with the hedge trimmer to clear a very large area of brambles, ivy and random ash saplings. We shan’t treat the roots as the church want to create an environmentally friendly graveyard and gardens, but after we have cleared it once, regular visits may keep it under control. Its a nice looking church and its a shame to see everything get overgrown. Its social history disappearing . Many of the headstones were moved to the edge, round the old stone walls some 50 years ago apparently, and these are the ones we have been clearing. There are also some flat stones in the grass that we will clear too. It is a popular place for dog walkers, and despite notices everywhere , we were horrified to find little deposits in the grass. Anyway we had a pleasant couple of hours and felt very virtuous afterwards 😂

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dog fouling is bad anywhere Sue but unforgivable in a church yard. It needs a camera and some high profile convictions and fines.
I had a busy morning on domestic matters but I did do an hour in the shed...

Another morning of small things done slowly. Largely because everything has to be checked repeatedly to make sure my eyes haven't deceived me. Add also the fact that I was late in the shed because domestic matters got in the way.What we have is a flywheel, it's a good fit on the shaft, I finished up using a 4mm drill as the hole it left was closest to the crankshaft size. Now I need to drill it and fit a 5BA setscrew. That thrill is for tomorrow.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 08:16 Dog fouling is bad anywhere Sue but unforgivable in a church yard.
Spike Milligan would start his complaints to his local council.. 'Dog Shit memo Number 1,2 3,etc' . No delicacies, no euphemisms, straight to the point.
Whatever happened to plain english.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”