Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 08:16 You weren't concentrating when you did that Sue! :laugh5:
Ha ha, :laugh5: actually my mind saw the issue in a different way. I thought the neck is narrow and the back is broader , so narrow at the top wide at the bottom completely ignoring the fact that the dress had a V neck . It was complicated too. The bodice is fully lined so you slot the bands in on one side, attach the lining , turn the right way out then thread the bands through, turn it back i side out and resew! I had to swap the top with the bottom, didn’t take long, easy but very fiddly.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

For the gory details see Shed Matters but it became obvious as I made the lids for the cylinder that I can't make it work if the bore of the cylinder isn't the right size and in the right place. I have asked Stuarts for another cylinder blank. Nothing for it but to do it again and get it right!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

.......... My sewing issue is how to line Bs dress as it has an unusual back. I didn’t realise I had a problem till it came to me at 5.00 am in my sleep. By 6.00 am, I had three possible solutions. I am not sure which to try ......

A sentence from my blog a couple of days ago. Was it a premonition :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Usual round of shed and looking after myself. No shopping needed but I am more confident about walking now I have sorted my walking stick!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I needed one for about 6 months Stanley. Now relegated to the back of the wardrobe! Very handy, but it doesn’t have to be permanent and does not signify the end of your world. I found it necessary but now it is just a reminder of how I have overcome adversity. :good:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I note that your stick doesn’t have multiple feet. Signifying that you are quite steady, just need a bit of an aide. Mine was the same. In fact, I bought a folding stick, as I was determined to only use it when the pain was too bad to walk. I could shove it in my handbag or shopping trolley. My problem was standing at checkouts. Couldn’t bear standing at checkouts etc....painful.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

No snow here, though there is a smattering on the hills that I can see. It will be interesting to see what there is in Bacup when we go over to the market this morning. It is certainly very windy. According to the forecast the best of the day is this afternoon. After the market we will tackle a bit of cleaning between us, but then I want to get on with the sewing for Briony and get it in the post on Monday. We have a few things accumulating that need posting next week so it would be good if we could make just one walking trip to the post office.

Completion of these tasks determines if there will be a walk. We did 4.5 miles yesterday afternoon and certainly felt fresher from having a rest for a couple of days. There was a biting wind but we managed to choose a route that kept us out of it most of the time. The waterfalls were only a gentle tumble , but still a pleasure to see. We met one of the ladies that I know from the local church whilst in the Dell and had quite a chat about the state of the graveyard. She thanked us for our efforts and it was only later I realised that this is the same lady I had been in touch with about doing some clearing up there. I have known Ruth for sometime through an annual girls night out for a meal and to see Strictly Come Dancing in Manchester.

So I think thats it for today. I may have some planting to do depending on what I buy at the market this morning, but my priority is grow bags for tomatoes before they all sell out. Not that my tomato seeds are up yet , but last year we were too late getting any by the time we got back from France .

I think the stick is an excellent idea Stanley. My friend Wendy here in Rochdale uses one all the time, and just think you can always cross a road, you just wave it in the air, bend over and hobble across :laugh5: . I always tell Wendy she is not using it effectively enough :laugh5: Joking apart, she finds it invaluable. Just make sure it is the right height Stanley and don't lean on it too much or it can put pressure on the shoulder. I have seen some bad shoulder problems in my friends caused by uneven walking with a stick. If you feel you are doing that, then even the load by walking with two

Have a good day everyone .
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Maz, I still can't stand at checkouts or in any queue. I leave Bob in the queue and have to go a d have a walk round, or if I am by myself I have to prop myself up on something, it is the only remnant of my slipped disc and spinal operation . I find standing still can be excruciating
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Pain whilst standing at checkouts must be a result of both our surgeries then Sue. A common theme theme perhaps. When I had really bad pain, I could not step on or off a kerb, walk up or down a ramp etc. no more pain now, but I can still get a bit “beyond” comfortable if waiting for a long period in a checkout line. ( not easily explainable, as I can walk for miles and ride a bike 🤔)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or paint it white...... I shall report on the stick when I have got used to it.
"Just make sure it is the right height Stanley"
I have an idea that it's an inch too long but I thought it was easier to cut an inch off the blackthorn than add an inch!
The stick was made up the dale by a well known stick dresser at Aysgarth. He said it was the best blackthorn shank he ever had and showed the stick in its longer version at Harrogate. Not sure if it won a prize or not. I didn't like cutting it but I shall never use it as a crook again. This way it gets used!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I can remember when Cazza’s back pain was so bad that she had to drag a carton of milk along the bench to the kettle because it was too painful to lift it. ( remember that Cazza? I do.)
( we never know what we will be reduced to. If I dropped anything on the floor, it was irretrievable! Couldn’t put my own socks or shoes on!)
Life is so much better two years on. :good:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh yes I remember 🙁. Walking stick, walker, chair in the shower, risers under my lounge (still have them), all my everyday crockery etc kept on top of the kitchen bench, feeding my cat on top of a chest of drawers... Gosh feels like a long time ago, but I still have to be careful and end up bent over and in pain if I do too much in the day.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's where I ended up this morning, the lids are almost ready for fitting. I can be a bit slow at times.... :biggrin2: It wasn't until this morning that I realised how the lids are fastened on the cylinder!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Cazza...I remember the day I was waiting in the car outside the doctor’s surgery and they sent you out with a plastic bag to sit on in the car ( I thought you were going to pee on my car seat) but they told you it would make it easier to turn on the seat to get in and out of the car. :laugh5:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:43 Pain whilst standing at checkouts must be a result of both our surgeries then Sue. A common theme theme perhaps. When I had really bad pain, I could not step on or off a kerb, walk up or down a ramp etc. no more pain now, but I can still get a bit “beyond” comfortable if waiting for a long period in a checkout line. ( not easily explainable, as I can walk for miles and ride a bike 🤔)
Exact.y, though I haven’t ridden my bike for years. Its in France, far too hilly here, but over the years the lanes in France have become rather unsafe for cycling. Speed merchants tearing through
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 08:43 Cazza...I remember the day I was waiting in the car outside the doctor’s surgery and they sent you out with a plastic bag to sit on in the car ( I thought you were going to pee on my car seat) but they told you it would make it easier to turn on the seat to get in and out of the car. :laugh5:
These stories are so familiar. I remember getting stuck in the Surgery doorway as I opened the door to leave and the Dr and Bob having to lift me out whilst I yelled in pain.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

😩and it was impossible to sit on a toilet without enduring agony, as I had to sit with one leg in the air. Then when I finally got there, it was impossible to pee. I wasted hours of my life just shuffling in and out of the bloody bathroom...usually in the middle of the night. Awful memories.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:43 ...no more pain now, but I can still get a bit “beyond” comfortable if waiting for a long period in a checkout line. ( not easily explainable, as I can walk for miles and ride a bike 🤔)
A relative of ours was fit and had always gone running regularly with a friend. Then he got Parkinson's Disease and could hardly walk, only stumble about - yet he could go running just like before. Apparently that sort of thing is common with Parkinson's (I'm not suggesting any of you have Parkinson's, but simply showing how strangely our bodies sometimes behave! :smile: )
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sunday Markets on in our Main Street today, with Yabbie Races! ( Yabbies are small fresh water Lobsters). I’d say this lot are a little small for eating...
I was shocked to find I was the only person wearing a mask in a gathering of several hundred people. Most people looked at me as if I had rocks in my head, but I did see a few fleeting glances of recognition of the potential danger also. There was little social distance happening. People are becoming complacent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"People are becoming complacent.
That and the schools going back could be a problem here.
I shall isolate myself in the shed as usual and have a socially distanced walk. The kids here are walking about with no masks and no distancing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Stanley, the schools going back has not generated the increase that was expected, I think that is good news, a nice few days this week on the other hand may have an effect. Today is wet and is due to be so all day. I have things to do, bedding to change and wash and the ironing to do. We have our usual Tesco delivery at 9.00 am so it has been necessary to wake sharply so that we are both showered and dressed in time. I have my cuppa by my side as I am writing this in bed as usual.

I finished Briony’s dress and top yesterday and made and wrote my letter cards to the grand daughters. Short this time, to ensure I could make the post tomorrow. It was a busy day yesterday so we didn’t walk , as the market, cleaning and sewing took most of the day. I had a lovely session with Briony on zoom, she requested it rather than Whats app. It was fun, she showed me how to get the white board up so that we could play noughts and crosses, and we both made up word searches. She had also prepared a quiz for us, geography general knowledge. We were rubbish . She has asked for the same next week .

So today I shall tackle my new top with the fancy heirloom embroidery. I have had to buy a pattern but could not really find one that matched the idea in my head. I could have done with a sewing session, well design session , with Maxine, but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon . I shall also do one of my online learning courses, being Sunday. Its always good for a quiet sit down for an hour or two.

So thats me sorted. I find this daily blog very useful to focus my mind for the daily activities and chores . Have a good day every one
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like your blog because it's a connection and god knows we are all short of them at the moment.

Funny morning in the shed, see Shed Matters but I finished up where I wanted to be but slower than expected. That brass bit with the steel rod poking out is the start of the piston and rod but it wasn't easy!
Wet here as well Sue, I'm not even thinking about going out! I've had 90 minutes light exercise in the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a task in mind for the shed but am actually at a standstill until my replacement cylinder arrives, most likely today.
Apart from that a walk as we have a dry but windy day.
I can feel some writing coming on, that might upset all my plans. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A dry, windy day. This afternoon we will walk over to the post office in Whitworth along the old railway path and possibly back over the moors. It will be rather muddy again after yesterdays rain. This morning I have pilates and yoga after my month off. There is no change in my feet so I shall have to modify the exercises and work on what is the best way to do things longterm. My body will ache this week, but it will be a good ache as I start to reuse the rested joints. I shall also plant the rest of my seed potatoes now the pots have arrived.

After the washing and ironing yesterday I set up my electric seed germinators in the conservatory and put some of my trays of seeds in them as they are being very slow to germinate. I spent rather a long time practicing the heirloom sewing on fabric scraps and eventually plucked up courage to embroider the front of the top I am making in it. It worked using double fabric and starch, however I chose to do the sewing in a lilac colour and to be honest I don’t like it. The top will probably find its way into my UFO ( unfinished objects ) box as it is not something that can be unpicked. Well you win some and you lose some 🙄Sitting, later, I finished assessment two of the Embroidery course. The rain fell heavily all day, and our leaky garden pond is full yet again .

So thats my day, have a good one everyone .
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with the exercises Sue. I shall shove the boat out and have a walk round the Green!
I've been in the shed for an hour and a half, here's where I finished up, waiting for the cylinder so I can bore it and make the piston.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”