Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

The cylinder hasn't arrived yet and I don't think there is really much I can do until I have it. I'll take a view on shed matters later.
Apart from that definitely a walk as it is going to be a nice day! No cooking, I am cooked up for the moment and need to eat some of it!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a beautiful day in store, the sun is already blinding me as i lie in bed writing this. We have decided it is a good morning to go back to the churchyard and do some more clearing. We shall go straight after breakfast so we can get a good couple of hours in before lunch. This afternoon our friends Wendy and Keith are popping over for a cuppa or something in the garden. We chose today as it is a good forecast and we shouldn‘t be too cold. We haven’t seen them , of course, since the beginning of November apart from one zoom session between us and a couple of u3a group meetings when personal conversation is not possible . Its not been a good few months for them as one of their grand daughters died tragically in early February.

As well as our gardening and visitors I have pilates and yoga this evening. Yesterdays exercises went well although I was a little sluggish. It will take most of the week to get back to where I was. We also had a very boggy walk both too and back from the postoffice. It was wild up on the tops at 1000 feet and noticeably much warmer at home at 600 feet. We did an unusual route for us taking the back tracks there and a new route back but the overall distance was much the same at 4.4 miles. On returning home I planted my potatoes, and noticed that some seeds seem to be germinating already in the seed germinator. Progress at last.

Have a good day everyone
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I feel for your friends Sue, we should never have to bury children. I like the sound of your day. They tell us that by weekend we will be colder but I think we are on the right track and should just enjoy the next couple of days.

This morning I did a bit of pottering to improve accuracy under my pillar drill. Nothing to do with the wobbler! Just an ongoing refinement and maintenance matter. Breakfast and second sleep now while you slave in the churchyard Sue.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The cylinder blank is still AWOL so I am not sure what I'll be doing. One thing is sure, we have another good day forecast and I shall go and have a stroll round the Square and the Green. I had a couple of good chats yesterday. so nice to talk to people outside!
Stick is working well, very comfortable, and I have found the right length now, the shorter your legs the shorter the stick needs to be!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Glad the stick is working Stanley. Yes as I remember and I may be wrong, if you hold your arm at a right angle you should be able to rest your arm comfortably on the top, but I may be mistaken.

Yesterday was a beautiful day. We did a couple of hours in the churchyard, clearing ivy and brambles, pruning trees and uncovering headstones. I think we found 5 buried beneath ivy and brambles. The worst is now done and another visit should see the rest of the row tidied up. One house holder who backs on to the wall of the church yard had a really long chat with us. I think she wondered what we were up to. We became very warm indeed as we were well covered up to protect us from the brambles and spiky branches. It was another shower for both of us at home afterwards, and just time for lunch before our visitors arrived.

It was so nice to sit and chat in the garden, what a perfect afternoon, it was June when we last had visitors in the garden , and 5 months since we last saw Wendy and keith. They didn’t leave till after 5.30 pm so I missed my pilates. I set up for yoga and then found a message from Taira to say it was cancelled and suggested we all partake in fresh air in the garden instead, as she was going to. She deserves a night off, she has worked solidly online for a year now.

It is due to be a beautiful day again. We have talked about taking a sandwich and a drink and investigating a new path from Whitworth up to Rooley moor and back down its length to home. It seems to way out of our 5 -6 mile maximum, especially as it involves a couple of miles uphill so we thought a day of it is the way forward. Its tough paths up there so it will be arduous slow going but the views will be stunning. We shall see how we feel later. If we don’t do that we will certainly do a walk somewhere, but many of the other options will be busy.

No other plans. What ever we do we will be making the most of the nice weather. Have a good day everyone. I hope you part arrives Stanley
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The recommended length is the handle should be at the height of your wrist if the arm is hanging naturally, slightly bent. That's worked for me.
Once again I like the look of your day Sue, both yesterday and today. I think, like you, that I shall have an extended walk later this morning. I was in the Square for almost half an hour yesterday talking to friends. Lovely! That's the main gain for me in the relaxation.

Yes, I hope the cylinder blank comes today. I went in the shed and did useful things one of which was to give Mrs Harrison a deep clean and lubricate. Never wasted time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I knew there was so e rule but as I said I was ‘t sure. I had it explained to me once.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That's the guide for walking poles Sue.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That makes sense...,.,
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Far too complicated for me. There must be millions of stick variables.

Hard surface sticks.
Short grass sticks
Sandy beach sticks
Boggy land sticks.
Sloping land sticks (2 off. up / down)

In no time the house will be full of sticks. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 07:24 That's the guide for walking poles Sue.
The bit of paper that came with my poles showed a picture, the forearm parallel to the ground while gripping the handle of the stick. The pole can be extended by a few inches for coming down hill. It's fortunate it was in picture form as my Chinese is non existent :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I never got shoulder pain from my walking stick...because I only used my stick when absolutely necessary. I would stick it in the supermarket trolley but only needed it really when waiting at the checkout, or possibly in the last five mins before the checkout. I took it on walks too, but only resorted to using my stick when I could no longer cope without it. I never formed a dependence on the stick. It helped that I had a folding stick, and could pop it under my arm like an umbrella. I only deployed it when I was at the end of my tether... :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Ken. We do enjoy complicating things don't we. :biggrin2: I'm just getting on with using a stick to ease the weight I put on my knee and it's working fine. I shall inform the media if my shoulder drops off.
I can't remember who mentioned it but I am considering practising waving it in anger at cars that don't give me right of way.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Stanley, it’s a pity you can’t do something ‘James Bond’ style with your walking stick, like point it and Exterminate whoever is annoying you :laugh5: :laugh5: That would be fun :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 07:24 That's the guide for walking poles Sue.
That makes sense.

Well we did 3 hours 45 minutes( stops included) 1000 feet height gain , 7.67 miles. Fabulous walk
89448E68-BF75-4211-BBD5-113210FE11C4.png
95B1C424-4DC6-4483-B2FE-D8B6DB0E4134.jpeg
2E741270-A99D-4AAB-8B9C-4EB855C084F8.jpeg
B089C397-C664-4959-9F9C-ECFDE0C3306F.jpeg
EA0F6D9D-258E-4F82-B8F7-7BF80F78CDD9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

81D108B6-500C-4746-B58F-AAEE522991C8.jpeg
8D8383EA-9DCB-43FD-8E94-4A211935A6E0.jpeg
59B01C09-07B2-49D3-A9E6-811073552645.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looks lovely :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 10:47 I agree Ken. We do enjoy complicating things don't we. :biggrin2: I'm just getting on with using a stick to ease the weight I put on my knee and it's working fine. I shall inform the media if my shoulder drops off.
I can't remember who mentioned it but I am considering practising waving it in anger at cars that don't give me right of way.
Me
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In that case you've sown an aggressive thought in my mind Sue! :biggrin2:

The cylinder blank for the wobbler arrived. So I have a good reason for going in the shed and another for coming out at 07:00 to do my early doors shopping. Than at noon I am meeting a learned friend in the Town Square for a coffee. I have questions about Leslie's will.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A wild, windy, dull day at the moment. Back to normal for the time of year I think. It was a beautiful day yesterday and a stunning walk. The climb up to Rooley Moor was rough and boggy at times but we found an ideal spot half way up to look at the view have a drink and eat our hot cross bun. It was very hazy but we could still see a long way, being able to spot most of our upland walks on the opposite side of the valley . The last leg to Rooley Moor was little more than a farmers tractor route so we were not surprised that we had missed it a couple of years ago when we did the 6.5 miles from one side of the moor to the other. We passed the farmer and his wife at one point on their quad bike. Just two of the five people we met up there, the others were a cyclist, a runner and a walker. Not exactly busy till we got back down to the railway track and Healey Dell where there were a few dog walkers.

We had our lunch at the cairn with magnificent views across Manchester and across to Derbyshire in one direction and Wales in the other. We could just make out the next valley over with Greenbooth reservoirs where we walked three weeks ago, and discovered yet more new tracks to explore sometime. Its so wild up there , I love it. It was downhill all the way from there and we were back home just after 2.00 and did little more for the rest of the day except sit in the conservatory, drink tea and have an ice cream from the freezer. We were pleased with our time of 3 hours 45minutes for the 7.6 miles which was faster than expected . I had recovered in time for pilates later, where upon I was asked if I would do it all again and take a couple of my pilates friends up there. The day would have to be chosen carefully as one part is very boggy indeed.

Today I have pilates at 10.00 , then we shall walk into Rochdale as I have a parcel to return at the Hermes shop and Bob has to bank some money for the Model Engineers group, being their treasurer. Apart from our vaccination 10 weeks ago I don’t think we have been in Rochdale since the end of October and certainly not to go near the shops . The afternoon is not planned but I have a few sewing things to do and perhaps some art for tomorrows session, but my motivation for it is not high at the moment.

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I do envy you that walk Sue. Once again your day sounds good and yes, I can believe the wind chill of -5C in the forecast! I've been to the Co-op for my early doors shop and it's a thin wind.
I hope it's a bit more clement at noon when I have an assignation with a lady in Town Square..... :biggrin2:

I have the cylinder blank cut to length and marked for drilling. That will come tomorrow. (It had better be right!)
Now for breakfast and second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Removing the movement from the granddaughter clock to find out why it's stopped striking the hour, it was still chiming the quarters but the strike had stopped which has been a gradual thing. Getting in with my big sausage fingers was interesting but the movement is out and I've found the problem 😎. There's a 15mm x 4mm strip of metal, with a short 90 degree end on it, that engages with a piece on the strike hammer shaft to support the weight of the hammers which has broken. Without this 'stop' the hammers rotate too far and the mechanism isn't strong enough to lift them. Next problem I have is where do I get spares for a 100 year old German clock movement?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You don't Kev, you make one. Is it hardened or spring steel? Test with a file to find out. For stock look to things like old sets of feeler gauges or broken springs. Anneal before cutting and if necessary harden after you've made it.
If you came round and brought it I'd have a socially distanced furtle for you.
I have thought of a cunning plan to centre that bloody hole. I had a very careful look and Ken is quite right, it is not correct!
Apart from that keeping warm and having a walk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Cold (3 degrees) but sunny. Another dry sunny, cloudy day forecast. It was nearly 4.00 pm before the sun came out here yesterday. We did a brisk walk into Rochdale after pilates, doing the necessary rounds to the bank etc. We wore our masks all the time we were there, and noticed many who did. It was significant that those who did not were in the 18-30 age group. College students had them round their necks but I don’t blame them having had to wear them all the time in college. We walked through Rochdale, and out the other side there being no change in the 5 months since we last went in apart from work on the town hall square which they are pedestrianising and renovating the town hall inside at the same time. We detoured on the way home to come back through Syke common and along the railway footpath. This made our little trip about 4 miles. When I logged that into out virtual walk to Paris we had reached Arras and completed 50% of our walk, 190 miles in just under three months .

It was a late lunch followed by some sewing. I have abandoned my heritage embroidery top. The fabric did not suit the design but being a white lawn fabric it will soon get used in something else. I made a new mask, I am still trying to find a design that I can wear for longer than 10 minutes without feeling breathless.This bit of sewing was instigated by wearing the mask in Rochdale for 20 minutes, admittedly whilst walking quickly. For all the various fancy shapes people have recommended the best one for me is still a large more fitted version of the disposable masks that are available, so that is what I made yesterday.

This morning I have dance exercise, followed by an hour of zoom u3a art. I shall finish early so we can have lunch at the usual time rather than at 2.00 pm. We are going to Claires in Preston this afternoon for a sit in the garden and a chat. We have a few things to take, like a potted beech tree, which is Claires, the tin that had our Christmas cake in that she made for us, a sewing machine to lend her and some car mats. I think that is it but I am sure when Claire reads her version of this blog she will remind us of anything we have forgotten . Our visit is to not only see them but to collect Claires sewing machine to take it to a Janome repair man in Rochdale. Following their move last August The machine seems to have developed a fault We shall be back home in plenty of time for my weekly whats app cookery session with Eve.

Thats my day, a different one, and one I am looking forward to. We will get to Julias soon I hope. Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Things are opening up aren't they Sue. My experience with mask wearing is the same as yours, the young ones. Another thing I have noticed is they do not give you space, you have to take it!

I have a cylinder that's bored straight and the right size. It's got a piston that fits it. Now I can move onto more tiny drilling of ports and passages. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”