The Referendum.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Referendum.

Post by Stanley »

It's a done deal.... We are now officially on the road to exiting the EU. Anyone who thinks the EU will be nice to us in the process is dreaming. They will want to make certain that it's as hard as possible for us 'pour discorager les autres', their greatest fear is a domino effect.
We now have to negotiate the winds of change as a nation committed to isolationism in a world where it becomes more and more obvious that the way to surmount global difficulties is by cooperation.... Bloody brilliant.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Not that is really any of our (Aussie) business, but I was shocked by the outcome. Febby was quick to report the pound had taken a nose dive...( think he said to pre 1995 level). You beauty...might be able to afford another holiday over yonder!
( I know...I am very shallow)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote:... Bloody brilliant.
Thank goodness there are other views apart from yours Stanley! :grin:
Personally I don't like cuddling up to the krauts and garlic gobblers.
Being independent doesn't mean isolationism, it means being responsible for your own future. Ask any Norwegian.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Wendy, it looks like your safe from Chinatyke.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Cameron quits.

And we might get rid of the Scots at the same time. It's an ill wind that blows no good...

Xenophobic, moi?
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Turnout, as ever 10% of electorate never vote, 10% are clueless as to which way to vote, 5% likely to have voted in same proportions to those that did vote, so a touch over 70% turnout not bad really. But did the opinion polls suggesting REMAIN would edge a win (a) reduce those whom might have voted REMAIN to go and vote - particulary in Scotland , was there confusion in that counting areas could somehow be like constituencies ? or (b) Increase the persons whom wanted to vote LEAVE to go out and do so?

Additionally were some <Labour> voters going LEAVE as protest vote , as Corbyn correctly stated this morning, that there is a disconnection between people in areas of the country and the Westminster politics all main parties have delivered Did LEAVE get too affected by the question of immigrant numbers? Is the UK correct in being concerned that the EU <commission> agenda going forward is way off the co-operation route many would prefer and the the EU directives too much protruded into 'domestic' UK living - particularly State support of industry & CO2 emissions .

Do many of the populations of the 'old' EU also have 50/50 concerns in what the EU is doing , is it time to re-think what European economic and political co-operation
should be ?

Did DC say he would resign if LEAVE result were the outcome, I don't remember him so saying, so much for 'Strong Leadership' .

Will Farage wake up and realise that many around the world consider the UK to be much smaller place than he expects in world hierarchies. , and aside from the 'markets' immediate impact on UK cash balances personal and public, can the UK realistically trade around the world without substantial UK borrowing to re-build its industries - give that stuff is imported not just from the EU, but Turkey and Egypt 9and thats before we get to the Far East, etc , where wage rates and state subsidies so far out of what any reasonable UK govt would be prepared to tolerate). In hindsight should REMAIN have been promoted as the least worst option for the UK, rather than the best option for the UK?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Does this mean we can send all the foreigners back? like er... Duke of Edinburgh, family name had been Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. Only asking.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

If we had to send them all back then we are all off to the middle of france or somewhere like that. I'm probably quartered Ireland and Scotland (so will I remain In?) Unfortunately if the true British have gotten us into this mess, they ain't clever enough to get us out of it - we needed a Petard Hoisting Warning system.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm almost lost for words. It's sad to think that surveys of young people had shown they were overwhelmingly in favour of remaining in the EU. The final YouGov poll before the referendum showed 72% of 18 to 24-year-olds backed a Remain vote, with only 19% backing Brexit. And 16- and 17-year-olds were not allowed the vote. It's going to affect them more than older people like me. It's their future that's going to be trashed. LINK

In a lighter vein, when I attended our polling station yesterday I was a bit miffed about where they chose to put the `Polling Station' notice, right next to `Little England'. Perhaps it was an omen?

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

"Power to the People" - Citizen Smith. Time to reclaim England. Freedom for Tooting ... and Barlick. The Glorious Day is coming!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh Tizer...that is a "classic"! ( photo)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

BBC at 11.25am today:
European parliament president Martin Schulz, president of the European Council Donald Tusk, European Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker and Dutch PM Mark Rutte also went into emergency talks. They released a statement saying they regretted but respected the British decision and insisted the "Union of 27 member states will continue". They called for the UK to leave "as soon as possible, however painful that process may be. Any delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty". They added that the deal agreed with Mr Cameron in February to protect London's financial markets, curb immigration and opt out of closer union "ceases to exist" and "there will be no renegotiation".
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. Nicola Sturgeon has just announced that they will be immediately seeking legislation to enable a 2nd referendum for seceding from the Union.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A letter of No Confidence has been submitted within the Labour Party regarding Jeremy Corbyn.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

He was rather conspicuous by his absence....

The Scots wanting a second referendum for quitting the union is pretty predictable.

I suspect Cameron is kicking himself for calling it in the first place. I read it as Conservative Euro-sceptic appeasement.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Came across this on a certain social media site :

If you're a Sci-fi fan, it needs no explanation.

Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Oh well, desperate times require desperate measures. Scotland will probably become independent and then negotiate its way back into the EU... LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

They could remain if they seceded before article 50 runs it's course. No timetable yet from when that will be triggered but probably Autumn at the very earliest. We are still members until the two year countdown has ended.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Time to say that both Col & I, after much consideration and discussion, voted to leave the EU. A decision that had absolutely nothing to do with immigration. I was shocked and surprised to hear today that my nephew, a high rolling City of London investment banker, also voted to leave as did my "nephew in law", a junior doctor who travels the world in his profession. We aren't all uneducated idiots....
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Neverendum finitum est. Requiescat in pace. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

OK, I never did Latin.... :sad:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Good to stand up for your beliefs Wendy. Personally I am devastated and await to see the implications for our second home in France, let alone here.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only good thing about the vote is the fact that the will of the people prevailed, albeit for all the wrong reasons. I doubt if that could happen in China.....
Lovely pic Tiz and I agree with your views. I agree with Wendy as well, I respect her right to back her opinion.
We are now where we are and I am still at the point where I am surveying the rubble and doing the autopsy. One conclusion I have come to is a better explanation of the weird 'Cameron should stay' letter from the 85 Brexit MPs. The last think PM Boris wants when he assumes the mantle (or whoever comes to the top in the contest) is to have to personally supervise (and accept responsibility for) the exit negotiations. It's a bit like the post of Northern Ireland Secretary during the troubles, a poisoned chalice because whoever does it will be forever tainted by perceived errors in the process. Therefore the obvious answer was to get Cameron to take the flak. I think he saw straight through this and lobbed the ball back in the Brexit court, a smart move.
The next development will be that the Brexit faction will present a list of new cabinet appointments to Cameron and he will have no option other than do exactly what he is told to do. At this point the serious blood letting will begin and the first casualty will be Ossie.
I think we have made the wrong choice for the wrong reasons and the pain will be felt by the lower percentiles of the electorate based on wealth. This will be prolonged. What remains unclear is how the EU is going to be affected and how Brussels will react. This is going to be crucial.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

My brother who lives in Bulgaria is already feeling the ripples of not being wanted. He has spent his retirement fund and family inheritance on a home that he could not afford here. Now he fears he will have to leave and will be unable to sell his home which he has spent his small fortune on doing up.
If you keep searching you will find it
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: a poisoned chalice
Quite. I don't think that the Boris / Gove have anything like a well thought out economic plan. Corbyn's reading of the runes in predicting the possibility of a general election within a year may may not be far from the mark. Perhaps Joe Public is a bit smarter than the Westminster bubble in knowing what is best for the country. We shall probably see Tony Blair's New Conservative Labour Party take a big hit and get back to fundamentals of where the wealth of the country is really made.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”