WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Thomo

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Thomo »

Looks like a classic case of car outperforming driver!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note the driver was 'a young man in his twenties'. A dangerous age to have a car as fast as that....
The fact that the Russian Oligarchs, masters of manipulating money, have lost at least 40% of their deposits in the Laiki Bank of Cyprus. I confess I have no sympathy for them.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Stanley wrote:I note the driver was 'a young man in his twenties'. A dangerous age to have a car as fast as that....
The fact that the Russian Oligarchs, masters of manipulating money, have lost at least 40% of their deposits in the Laiki Bank of Cyprus. I confess I have no sympathy for them.
Equally as dangerous as your 75 year old with an XK140, a car capable of 0-60 in 9sec and a set of drum brakes that would never stop it,and would fade to nothing on a winding road.As a 28 year old this car was a handfull, Still if I'd kept it it would be worth 80-100 thousand pounds.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This was posted a little while ago...
"Council Tax is now payable over 12 equal monthly payments rather than the 10 of previous years"

I also heard that, though I thought it was an option rather than being mandatory, but I have now received my bill for 2013/14, and it is not mentioned anywhere. Actually I rather like having a break from this charge every February and March, so I won't be querying the matter.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

All the work the farmers are doing to clear the roads....wonderful.
Yesterday some of our neighbours had a chimney fire, they thought that it had gone out, but later found smoke seeping into a bedroom. They called the fire brigade for advice and the Earby brigade set out to the rescue. Stoneybank Road was impassible, so they walked up through the drifts. It took them over an hour and a half, but they eventually arrived and dealt with the smouldering fire. Amazing!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Tripps wrote:This was posted a little while ago...
"Council Tax is now payable over 12 equal monthly payments rather than the 10 of previous years"

I also heard that, though I thought it was an option rather than being mandatory, but I have now received my bill for 2013/14, and it is not mentioned anywhere. Actually I rather like having a break from this charge every February and March, so I won't be querying the matter.
According to the Leader, who was unaware that it was not on the documents, you have to ask for it. It is mandated in Law
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just to be clear -I don't live in Barlick, and was referring to my local Council. It may well be mentioned on your demand.

Your original post implied (to me at least) that the payment scheme was going to be changed for everyone.
I can imagine that many might welcome the change, but it won't be taken up if they don't know about it, and the Council don't mention it on the demand. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Wendyf wrote:All the work the farmers are doing to clear the roads....wonderful.
Yesterday some of our neighbours had a chimney fire, they thought that it had gone out, but later found smoke seeping into a bedroom. They called the fire brigade for advice and the Earby brigade set out to the rescue. Stoneybank Road was impassible, so they walked up through the drifts. It took them over an hour and a half, but they eventually arrived and dealt with the smouldering fire. Amazing!
Time to put pen to paper and send them a big thanks,they are realy great guys.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The continuing frost and the nice feeling of security I feel having nine bags of coal in stock....

The fact that the Cypriot banks will not open till Thursday. It must be very difficult surviving everyday life. Think of the little things of life and the employees in the banks who are going to lose their jobs. The sins of the bankers are visited upon the children even unto the third and fourth generation. (My Sunday School Bible studies does come in useful at times....)
A phone call from Nelson letting me know that the economy measures at the Leader series come into effect in two weeks. The bad news is that they have some sort of automated page-setting and my articles will be limited to 500 words from then. Not sure if that's with a picture. I am having a think about how to manage this situation.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:[Cyprus] Think of the little things of life and the employees in the banks who are going to lose their jobs. The sins of the bankers are visited upon the children...
And the sins of the politicians who presided over the whole affair, both in Cyprus and in Brussels. Andrew Wighton in The Times points out that EU ministers rushed in to force Cyprus to make it's citizens pay out of their savings to save the banks - what was going on in the minds of those ministers that they could expect the ordinary folk in Cyprus to simply give up a large chunk of their savings? If the ministers are capable of such muddled thinking what else are they capable of? (Answers on a postcard to Brussels please.)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The continuing frost. BORING!
The 14 year old lass mauled to death by five dogs when she walked into the room eating a meat pie. How can such things happen?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Two bullmastiffs and three Staffordshires! These types of animal have become status symbols for some people, they are also frequently seen in the company of they whom you would not invite into your home. Incidents such as these are becoming a regular feature and it is appalling that the young girl has lost her life in such a manner.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Terrible terrible incident, we had recent postings on this, one of mine saying the police will only get involved when a child dies, I never thought it would happen again so soon. Now is the time to act many more breeds of dogs should be added to the dangerous dogs register. Most of these breeds were perfectly safe animals a few years ago but have been bred and trained to be dangerous dogs by owners no one would wish as neighbours.
My most favourite dog the lurcher, originally a collie/greyhound cross ,I now see in monster sizes, bred by poachers to drag down deer. This has become acceptable and I see advertised as pups in country mans weekly. One of these would have no problem killing a large adult, if it fell into the wrong hands.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Tripps wrote:Just to be clear -I don't live in Barlick, and was referring to my local Council. It may well be mentioned on your demand.

Your original post implied (to me at least) that the payment scheme was going to be changed for everyone.
I can imagine that many might welcome the change, but it won't be taken up if they don't know about it, and the Council don't mention it on the demand. :smile:
It is changed for everyone within England and you have to ask your council why they wouldn't tell you about it
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The Car Park outside the Co-op still hasn't been gritted and it is Pendle's
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why grit something that is clear? Perfectly safe walking and driving on it.
Cypriot banks open today. Interesting times.
We're used to cold Easters but Good Friday tomorrow. What's the betting it's the coldest on record?
Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital again with a recurrence of his chest trouble. Worrying, a fine man.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Over the past six years, six folk have been killed by dogs. Whether these are all youngsters I'm not sure. What I do know is that over this same timeframe somewhat more than 100 youngsters will have been killed by a car in residential streets. Typically, we wipe out 20-30 of them this way every year.

So my question is, do we act now on dogs to save a kid a year? Or bring in a 15/20mph speed limit in all residential areas, rigorously enforced and save in all probability very many more? The cry may be we should do both. But in matters of public policy one has to make a rather more nuanced and evidence-based assessment of where one should spend what is a finite and diminishing pot.

Richard Broughton
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

We are of one voice on this one Richard,where I live there are many restricted roads, would I like to see more a resounding yes, would it have a cost, yes road markings and signs yes ,I believe the pemissions are there. Dangerous dogs the law is on the book just requires amendments, would we have to put dogs down, not if we have a enforced ban on the breeding of the banned dogs and allow them to disappear naturally,twenty years and the problems gone.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

My new BlackBerry :geek:
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Large badger protection league meeting in Bridgewater Somerset this saturday, seems one of the political fraternity who likes to kill badgers is associated with the area.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Parliament dissolves the agricultural wages order,seems agricultural workers with the help of defra had been demanding their rights under it, and farmers have objected because it was costing them money. Do they have some one in their pockets ? plenty of room now they are empty.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that my card reader is wandering about somewhere in the postal system. I expect it will find its way home at some point!
Richard, I agree and have always been vaguely amused by the fact that Wellington-related injuries are so frequent. Ban wellies? However, there is something very visceral about the case of anybody attacked by a dog, something deep in our psyche?
Better news about Nelson Mandela but still worrying.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

" I agree and have always been vaguely amused by the fact that Wellington-related injuries are so frequent. Ban wellies?"

How could I live without my wellies? I've never thought to be frightened of my pair, though they do get me a bit annoyed when they swop positions after I've taken them off so I get them on the wrong feet next time I put them on.
With the bad weather my waterproof overtrousers and wellies have become a single entity....that keeps them under control! :smile:
(No wine has been consumed Maz...honest )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News in BET this morning of a young man dying in a snow drift up Haggate way on his way home from the pub. He wasn't as lucky as I was when the lass going for the paper tripped over me.
Talked to a friend this morning and she told me her dog was attacked by the same Akita that killed another friend's dog. She reported it and the owner. Evidently the dog is well known and supposed to be kept confined but can get out. It lives in the York Street/Beech Street area so if you're taking a dog up there keep your eyes open.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Stanley wrote:It lives in the York Street/Beech Street area so if you're taking a dog up there keep your eyes open.
Someone living in that area contacted me yesterday about this dog and gave me an address where she thinks it lives. I've passed the details on to the dog enforcement team at Pendle Council and have also contacted a dog rescue charity about the animal.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”