HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

chinatyke
Donor

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 04:11 China, have a bowl of Szechuan (Or is it Sichuan?) noodles for me. I love 'em!
Sorry, too spicy for me. Both spellings are correct. Noodles are pretty much staple food here.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I never met a Noodle I didn't like....both Febby and I love Noodles...
I think Hokkien are our favourite, but Ramen are good too.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I use Hokkien in my Spicy Beef Noodle dish ( a belly buster), and Ramen is more delicate so I use that in a Chicken Soup style dish. I have some other noodles in the pantry I haven't tried yet. They are "Thai Rice Noodles" ( dried).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I first had them in a Szechuan Chinese restaurant in NY and loved them. I have never been able to find them since. I tried making my own but they weren't the same.....
I've been gathering my supplies together for the trip. Apart from the food the box contains a roll of Kitchen Towels, a proper kitchen towel, a black bin bag for the rubbish and a pocket knife......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you are careful about your diet and have an occasion like my picnic yesterday, be careful! I ate the wrong food, didn't drink enough fluid and am feeling the effects today! I shall get back on the veggies immediately! So today's tip is be strong and prepare well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A friend was visiting the other day at 15:15 which is Jack's teatime, we have good routines! He watched as I quickly made Jack's meal, boiled steak mince and good biscuit. He was amazed at the speed Jack polished it off and commented that he wished his dogs would do the same so I gave him the lecture on dog feeding!
One of the biggest problems vets see is obese and overweight dogs. This is due to the fact that most owners think of their pets as human beings and attribute their own actions and habits on the dog. Dogs in the wild are used to a period of activity (hunting and gathering) with a meal when they have got lucky. They don't care what it is and happily eat the same thing every day with no ill-effects as long as it is good food. Jack never has treats between meals (I stick to the same rule) and at 15:15 each day he is ready for his meal so he eats it. I have never seen him show any signs of hunger before his meal and he doesn't pester for more food after. He is the ideal weight for his breed and size, about 25 to 27lbs. This means he is less likely to need the vet because he has all he needs to maintain good health.
So today's tip is never feed a dog anything that you wouldn't eat yourself and remember they are not humans! If they don't clear up at one visit you are feeding too much!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Christian

Post by Christian »

I went through the whole dog food debacle with my two, sometimes they wouldnt eat, other times it would be wolfed down, then we went through the whole everything needed chicken or cheese on to eat it, yet regardless of the meal they would both scoff a dentistick or a treat. After all this messing about, I starved them both for 24-36hours.

Now its food once a day and if its not eaten, the other polishes it off and you get nothing, soon focused their minds at the thought of going hungry. The only exception to this rule is if I want them run out early afternoon, then they get a small handful to get them going.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done Christian, you found the secret. So many people never learn!
Thinking of this morning's battle with the washer.... If a domestic item is giving you grief, bite the bullet! Unfortunately it's hardly ever economical to repair them these days....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It took me seven and a half hours to do a partial wash yesterday. Roll on the new machine on Wednesday!
I have a large stainless steel shallow roasting tin and it is handy for catching water at low level like the washing machine drain or the bottom of the freezer when you are defrosting it. If you don't have one, today's tip is do something about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

When replacing washing machines and freezers, go for a direct drive motor for the laundry and frost free for the fridges and freezers. A lot quieter and maintenance free.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 09:14 go for a direct drive motor for the laundry
I'd always assumed this type would be better, but last time I got a new one, I think there was only one such on the market from memory, it was by LG, and it was a lot dearer than the one I bought. I got a Bosch from John Lewis - delivered and fitted, with a two year warranty, and coming up to eight years later it's still going well. It won't last for ever so thoughts are on a replacement. Right now I can't see past another Bosch. :smile:

Look at this Direct drive washers

There's a lot to it, and some negatives.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, plus and minus on everything really. We use to have both a Bosch washing machine and dishwasher. The latter went terminal when the back seal failed emptying the cavity and flooding the kitchen floor. On inspection it was a bad design with the washing cavity made in two sections and only joined with a silicone seal that failed at the back leaking water for weeks before it was noticed. I have kept it's superior cutlery basket for use in it's replacement. The direct drive LG washer that we have came with a 10 year guarantee on the motor and up to press has worked flawlessly and very quiet apart from the termination of cycle tune it plays when it completes its mission. I don't think any domestic appliances (with exception of my Dualit toaster) are really built to last or be properly repairable as they were in the past. I would have a Kirby vacuum though if I could afford one.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, the advice I got from Garlick's was the Bosch. My daughter has one and she likes it. Says it is the quietest washer she's ever had. Always a plus point for this old fitter.... I like quiet machinery!
I made a modification to my temporary set up to get round the defective washer cock. I had a new hose in the treasure chest and so connected it to both the hot and cold outlets. Perfect, no leaks under full mains pressure....

Later at 07:15. I have just been on my knees struggling with the cock on the cold water supply, it is so stiff! Ignoring the pain I have got it open fully now. My idea is to be able to tell the fitter tomorrow that the connection has been made and under test for 24 hours and that my advice is to use this brand new connector pipe for the new washer. The less it is disturbed the better. If I live long enough to need another washer (!) I shall get a plumber in first and alter the positions of the washer cocks but as things stand at the moment we have a good leak proof connector in place and I hope the Bosch is the same standard fitting! I shall of course be monitoring the connector all day! At the moment it's bone dry on both cocks.....
By the way, to make the connection all we need to do is close the stop cock on the mains supply.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The connection on the Bosch washer is standard. I have a Bosch washer and dishwasher, both from Garlick's. The dishwasher is 6 years old and the washer about 3, have been happy with both.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's good news Kev. The hose I fitted temporarily is brand new and has been under test for over 36 hours. That doesn't normally happen in an installation and I suspect the fitter will grab the opportunity. I shall report later!

I took the hob out as well to ease the load and clean the orifice! I suspect the fitter will be a happy bunny and do a better job!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All the installations went well. What has struck me is that the vague sense of unease that has been with me for a while has vanished and I realise it was perhaps because I was coping with defective machinery in the kitchen. It's amazing how different things are now, quiet and efficient is the correct description I think. It's amazing how we can get used to 'coping'! My tip this morning is that it might be laudable to make do but could be bad for your peace of mind!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's quite surprising to me how the latest improvements to my kitchen equipment have advanced while I have been making do! I'm washing at the moment and can only hear the water sloshing. Before, if I wanted to use the phone I had to stop the machine so I could hear! Those days are gone. So today's tip is if you are ready and can afford it, think about dragging yourself into the latest models. It's a revelation to me and has made my life a lot easier.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you really enjoy your tea, brew it the way it suits you best. David does it differently to me but we are both right. The only rule is, there are no rules!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the days when I still used instant coffee I remember what a revelation it was how it could be improved by mixing the granules with milk before adding the hot water. Then I decided that I would stick to proper ground coffee. I've tried the new instant coffees but they aren't a patch on the Real Thing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of the things I am rediscovering now I have a hob that can be thermostatically controlled is the delight of 'slow cooking' on it. For years I have been limited to only two settings, full on or off and it's funny how you get used to it and cope. So I suppose my tip is, if a piece of equipment is limiting you, don't accept it if you can afford to do something about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't think I have ever heard anyone on Oneguy complain of being bored. Wouldn't it be nice if more people realised that there was a better way of living than being inactive! You don't need this tip but in my experience so many people do nowadays!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have been vaguely worried about the fact that the lab want to re-test my blood because of one aberration. What do you do if they say they suspect something is wrong? Do you trust the doctors implicitly or use your head and listen to your body? I think back to the days when ignorance was bliss. My tip is to follow your instincts! (Mind you, it hasn't happened yet.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 04:12 My tip is to follow your instincts!
Stanley we spend £millions on high tech equipment and endless time educating professionals to understand the results and here you are turning the clock back to witches brews and magic runes. Consider the results by all means especially if there is a strong element of 'probability' built into it. Nobody is a carbon copy of each other and the spread of blood make up ranges are after all averages but not to be discarded willy nilly.
I had to smile at myself the other day when I saw some young people smoking. I thought when you get to my age you we have been dead 5 years. Total rubbish but you know what I mean.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P, I have a healthy respect for doctors and listen to what they say but I have also read enough about iatrogenic disease to make me aware of the dangers. That's why I always refuse the miracle pills like statins when all the other indicators are so good. As you say, we are all different and having the blood analysis I have got at my age is a bloody miracle so I must be doing something right somewhere!
As for smoking..... I know from experience that cigarettes and cigars are bad for me, that's why I don't smoke them! If and when I get evidence that my one vice, my pipe, is harming me, I'll give that up as well but so far so good! (And I don't half enjoy it....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

Iatrogenic disease - I had to give that a good cyberchondriac investigating.

Return to “Nostalgia”