Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Tizer »

There's evidence here for the benefits of mask wearing...
`Covid-19: The mask-wearing US city that bucked the trend' LINK
The last line: "We've listened to the science, ignored the politics, and learned lessons from regions of the country that were hit harder and earlier."
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I took the car for a trip today. The battery keeps going flat so I will increase its use and if that doesn't work get a new one. ( battery not car) :smile:

I immediately wondered of I was the only person still self isolating. dozens of children piled off the Cambridge train, and behaved much the same as they usually do. The traffic was very busy, Aldi car park was full as I passed, and I drove to McDonalds with the vague idea of getting a Big Mac from the Drive-Thru window. Can't be much risk there I thought. Their car park was also full, and I got a strong urge to go home - not having been in any kind of a crowd since March - I couldn't face one. So I did.

I think it'll take a long time (for me at least) to get back to anything like 'normal'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't have a car David but I think I share your views about crowds. I wasn't good with them before and am definitely worse now. I think perhaps we have all had fewer 'casual' minor infections since we started shielding against Covid. I'm thinking of the minor bugs, like the ones the kids bring home from school. (They still do of course. Kahara gave Susan and Mick a cold straight from the nursery earlier this week.)
See THIS BBC report about one man who is having many events at home over the holiday despite the virus.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

As far as the vaccine goes...we can wait...we can afford to wait...no rush...let’s see how UK and USA go with problems first.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Is that 'personal' we can wait or an Australian government we can wait?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I was rather undecided whether to post this about covid mainly because it doesn't make good reading but it should act as a warning to everybody.
A long standing friend since school days had to go into care because of his dementia (81). Three weeks ago he caught covid and died two weeks later. Somehow his wife managed to see him, how I do not know, but in all events she caught covid, taken to Blackburn hospital, rallied and then relapsed finally dying two days ago. (81). This is the sort of thing you sometimes read about but never happens to anyone you know. A double loss for the family just when a vaccine is so near that may have made it another illness we have to contend with.
The message is clear don't take chances because its Christmas. Take care everyone.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A timely and sad warning Plaques, there are still a lot of people who think it won't affect them. Whether directly, or not, it's going to affect a lot more yet.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 09:44 Is that 'personal' we can wait or an Australian government we can wait?
Kev, I think that might relate to this news...
`Australian covid vaccine abandoned over false HIV response' LINK
----------------------------------------------------

At least there's an example in the UK of fewer students being infected because the higher education sector has got its act together...
`Covid testing of students finds few positive cases' LINK
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 10:09
Big Kev wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 09:44 Is that 'personal' we can wait or an Australian government we can wait?
Kev, I think that might relate to this news...
`Australian covid vaccine abandoned over false HIV response' LINK
Could be, they have ordered extra though

'The Australian government said it had now entered an agreement for the Novavax vaccine, and upped its existing order of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.'
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Some good news...
`Covid: Genes hold clues to why some people get severely ill' LINK
`Why some people with coronavirus have no symptoms and others get extremely ill is one of the pandemic's biggest puzzles. A study of more than 2,200 patients in intensive care has identified specific genes that may hold the answer. They make some people more susceptible to severe Covid-19 symptoms than others. The findings shed light on where the immune system goes wrong, which could help identify new treatments..'.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I always suspected this Tiz
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken you did right to post about your friends. Life's like that at times, incredibly cruel and we can't hide from the fact. If reading that causes thought and more attention to self defence it will have done a good job.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue, you'll know that the gene research will have relevance much more widely than just covid. For starters, we know some people react worse to other infections and we might be on the verge of finding out why some get lasting effects, such as ME.
-------------------------------------------------------

Will Christmas 2020 be like this? :laugh5:

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I find all this registering a bit confusing.
I get that you have to register to enter a pharmacy, or to dine at a cafe etc. You don’t have to register to shop at the supermarket ( where you are likely to spend much more time and come in more contact with others than at a pharmacy).
Today we decided to have a walk around the open air market on the foreshore, but the line up to register was long and we felt at risk just being in a line...so we abandoned all thought of doing the markets and simply walked away. There is no dining at these markets beyond a mobile coffee van, and a few stalls that sell hand held food, with no sit down areas. I can’t understand having to register for an outdoor market, when proper shops are crammed with customers with no requirement to register.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Had to register in the library and the hair dressers. All other indoor shopping areas and Banks are compulsory masks and distancing. Most people tend to keep their masks on unless there's a steep hill involved then you have to grab every bit of air that's available.

The roll out for the vaccine has started with news from up north that notification has been given for over 80+ to attend the local hospital for their jab.
Skynews in stating that those attending GP surgeries will have to sit for another 15 minutes to ensure they don't develop anaphylaxis. This could be other obstacle for the smaller surgeries. Vaccine
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Does anyone else feel like “the great unwashed”, when having to sign in anywhere? :laugh5:
I know at the outdoor markets today, there were kids bouncing up and down with adults, waiting to get through an imaginary boundary. It put me off. We can catch the local market any weekend and let me tell you, on freezing cold days, there is no one there!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We haven't had to sign in anywhere, but I think we would have to if we could go into a pub or restaurant.
plaques wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 08:38 The roll out for the vaccine has started with news from up north that notification has been given for over 80+ to attend the local hospital for their jab.
I remember my first influenza jab, done by my GP at a normal medical check up appointment. I asked him if I could have it and he agreed because take up was so low then that they were desperate to get people vaccinated. He was pleased I'd asked! He told me that because it was the first time I should sit down for 15 minutes in the waiting room in case I had a reaction. At that time they were probably still growing up the virus in eggs and the concern was always about egg protein allergy.

By the way, I see that in the US the distribution of vaccine, Operation Warp Speed, is in the charge of Army General Gustave F. Perna, the commander of Army Materiel Command. Another example of tight security around the precious product. (Perhaps our Track & Trace project would have been more effective and faster if we'd put the military in charge of it instead of ex-broadband company boss Dido Harding.)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

First few times for me with contrasted MRI scans I was held back for observation. Now they just ask prior to the scan if I have had any adverse reaction and let me go straight after the event after checking for leaks. :extrawink:

My last scan at LGI, they hooked me up with the line and the pre-loaded syringe which I carted into the scanner with me. Previous scans they just shoved the contrast into the tap at the required time.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall refuse to travel to hospital. I'm quite prepared to wait until there is a local alternative. I feel quite secure in my bubble!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

East Lancashire Teaching Hospitals are quoted as distribution centres. Burnley is one of the teaching hospitals. From experience of the influenza vaccination Colne Health Centre has all the attributes except maybe the refrigeration units to comply with the more basic requirements, car park, seating space, and proven organisation. Avoiding disruption to the normal service may require additional staffing. Being almost centrally positioned in Pendle it could serve as the main location for the more mobile population.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:31 I shall refuse to travel to hospital. I'm quite prepared to wait until there is a local alternative. I feel quite secure in my bubble!
I don't think you'll need to wait too long, I would imagine the hospital option will be for densely populated areas.
The roll out, to GP surgeries, has already started. The Pfizer vaccine will be delivered to surgeries in England in boxes of 975, they then have 3 days to use them. No word on when Barlick will be getting some though...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55295702
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 03:31 I shall refuse to travel to hospital. I'm quite prepared to wait until there is a local alternative. I feel quite secure in my bubble!
I won't rule out any particular location but if given the option (which I won't) and based on my experience of hospitals during the pandemic I would prefer the hospital. Lots more room and organisation compared to our local surgery which is manageable but a bit like a rabbit warren.

NHSBT for blood donation is the same, exceptionally well organised for the circumstance to protect a vital service.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I went to the Barlick surgery for my flu jab and thought it was organised very well, jacket off on the way in, jab just inside the door and out the door the other side of the building. It seemed to be an effective one way system. I presume the covid jab will follow the same process
Not sure if people will need to sit down for 15 minutes to see if there are any reactions.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I commented at the time on the organisation at Barlick surgery, nothing wrong with it. My point though, If offered the hospital first I would not refuse on safety grounds, a bit of an irrational fear in my experience.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”