Today I shall be Mainly...

Gloria

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Gloria »

Thanks Wendy, that is the same James (apart from the birth date) as I have found, he married Susan Nutter and died 1769. Without digging into my bottomless pit of info, I don't think there is a baptism of James 1736, I do know there isn't one in the database of Kippax names I have.
I will have a better look later, but I remember looking at the Crowther stuff and being a little disappointed that there is nothing to substantiate that James. James (1736) is on IGI but I think the date is a guess backwards from his marriage in 1760.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Jury service finished, I was sent home at lunch time. I have never been so bored.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well, you'll be safe from it now Sue.
I shall be recovering from my visitors yesterday!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Going to Southport for the regional In Bloom Awards to see how Barlick's done this year.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The Mrs is out for the day, so I have planned a couple of hours in the kitchen, on the menu is a crumble using the crab apples gleaned last week, I found a canadian recipe on the net which uses oats and honey for the crumble mix. Along side this I shall make some treacle toffee, ready for bonfire night. This morning I gathered more mushrooms, some to be eaten with bacon for lunch, the rest to go into a bacon and egg pie. Then with a full tummy I shall settle down with the headphones on for a lazy afternoon.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Too nice to be inside for long today...been for a walk up Weets this morning, more garden tidying this afternoon. Col got the old International tractor going this morning to re-organize my muck heap for me. Now I should be able to get at some well rotted stuff to spread on the veggie beds. :smile:

Will it move?

Yes it did!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nice one Wendy and Col.

Today I was mostly working this morning until 1.00pm. It was such a good afternoon I took advantage of the weather and went down to Ghyll to do my annual reorientation sweep of the cemetery and churchyard. I take my updated lists with me each year and do the sweep to see if I can find all on the list prior to my distribution of the remembrance crosses.

It went rather well with about a 90% find rate so I was quite pleased with that. I did find two new ones to add to my list, two I must have walked passed dozens of times in the last few years that I have been doing this.

I will mark any that remain undiscovered when I do the distribution in earnest the same way as did last year with a remembrance cross with their name, set at the periphery of the area of cemetery or churchyard that they are buried or remembered on family plots.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a good man you are Ian!
I shall be doing the usual Friday things.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

After doing the daily sweep of all the hard floors this morning, I still had to drag the Hoover out this afternoon as it had all built up again. Son informs me dog is loosing extra hair due to the warm weather. Every day, for the last seven months has been a battle against the dog hair, so I am hardly noticing the extra!
( hate dog hair....hate it, hate it, hate it! :sad: )
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Marilyn wrote:After doing the daily sweep of all the hard floors this morning, I still had to drag the Hoover out

Reading this at breakfast time, first thought was 'shades of Stanley!'

I have to remember you're antipodean.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Watercolour class followed by oils at a friends studio above Todmorden. I think it will be like a river getting up his lane
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When Margaret visited the other day she wanted to hoover for me (it needed it!) but I wouldn't let her, I promised to get round to it. I had to do it this morning and mail her to let her know I had kept my promise.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reading my last Hornblower story as slowly as possible, watching F1 qualifying later, I'm going to record it so it doesn't interfere with my afternoon sleep!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Cleaning the house and washing bedding ready for Julia, Ed and the girls arriving on Monday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Let them do the cleaning when they arrive?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Going to visit Mum in Woodlesford. Col is busy building a new sliding door for the barn, I'm hoping he doesn't have plans to try and hang it during the the storms on Monday...which would be fairly typical. Luckily he realized early on in the task that a complete door would be too heavy for us to lift into place, so the framework will go up first with panels bolted in afterwards. It is blocking access to the stables at the moment, I hope I can get the ponies inside before the promised storm arrives :sad: .
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Running the gauntlet of the M6 and toll or the M1, not made my mind up yet until I check the traffic and roadworks on the web. Stratford run to pick our Ruby up. Round trip includes the delights of Disney on Ice at the NIA in Birmingham. That will be fun, it's right in the middle of the city, just what you want at 9.00am on a Sunday morning! Apparently it's a good show, not my choice of gig but hey ho Ruby should have a ball. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Feeling guilty because i have come home with Mum's disabled badge in the car. She will be a bit cross with me! Off to the post office on Monday so she should get it before her next shopping trip on Thursday.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Getting scrubbed up after watching F1 which I shall record this morning. The kids are taking me out for an airing at the Bull at Broughton this afternoon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

A bit of sewing today. Having finished the curtains for the nursery of number 3 grandaughter I am using some of the surplus material to make a large toy bag. Then all I have left to do is the quilt. As of tomorrow my sewing room reverts back to a bedroom for a couple of days whilst the family stays until Wednesday evening. Bob and I will sleep I there as it is away from the other end of the bungalow. No doubt the children will be up very early, but it won't take them long to find us!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Try some razor wire laid in the passage outside your doorway, Sue. Should slow them down a bit!
( says she who does not have grand-children but often gets woken by son's dog...hoping some kind person will get up and give it breakfast)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Clearing the loads of leaves which clog the drains and ditches at this time of year. Every morning and evening I clear the leaves from the stable yard, only to find another lot has appeared a few hours later. Hopefully, with the wind which is coming our way they will all be on the floor tomorrow.
When we bought this property 14yrs ago the yard had no drain and the stables used to flood. We now have a drain at the end of the yard which runs behind the stables and down to the ditch, if this is kept clear everything is okay, but it's amazing how much back up a barrow load of leaves can cause.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:Getting scrubbed up after watching F1 which I shall record this morning. The kids are taking me out for an airing at the Bull at Broughton this afternoon.
Does this require you to break into your stock of carbolic soap?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

All hatches battened down in case of stormy conditions. The ponies are stabled for the first time since April, and everything that might blow away has been brought in or weighted down. The wind turbine is switched off (as is the big one next door) and torch batteries are charged in case we lose power. I think rain might be the worst problem though but I've said goodbye & thank you to the poly tunnel just in case :smile:
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Revising for an exam. I should be past doing this by now. I am coming your direction Thursday to take the exam(s) (two parts) on Friday next and am staying at the Tempest Arms. Keep the weather nice for me please. :geek:
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”