WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

chinatyke
Donor

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by chinatyke »

Nolic wrote: It's a boy.
So we called it GAL. Fools in high places!

Sorry for the late comment!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Has anyone 'wet the new HRH's head' ?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Thomo wrote:The speed, volume and weight of traffic, exiting, arriving in or transiting Barlick, is now becoming a serious problem. It is now thanks to Satnav, the quickest route from the Ribble Valley, the North and the Skipton area, into East Lancashire and beyond, and vise versa. Only about 10% of drivers observe the speed limit from the A59 onto Bracewell Lane and into town. The average speed being in excess of 45 MPH, with the occasional idiot at 3 times the legal limit. It is just over 3 years ago that we had a car in our front garden at 5.45 in the morning, the following day there was speed camera set up, many tickets were issued to drivers travelling in both directions, there has not been a repeat camera since then. The Police rarely enter this area and we now have cracks appearing in our home. The noise is horrific from 4.30 AM until about 11 PM, all windows facing the road have to remain closed, even in hot weather. Its isn't much fun living here any more.
Have you had a discussion with the PCC, since he is now elected and accountable for the police? I've found him to be very approachable
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The best solution for speeding motorists I saw in a small village near Hull in the early nineties. The locals placed to large illuminated signs at the entrances to the vilage. The signs message was short "Please Don't Kill Our Children." As if by magic the problem was solved over night.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Thomo wrote:The speed, volume and weight of traffic, exiting, arriving in or transiting Barlick, is now becoming a serious problem. It is now thanks to Satnav, the quickest route from the Ribble Valley, the North and the Skipton area, into East Lancashire and beyond, and vise versa. Only about 10% of drivers observe the speed limit from the A59 onto Bracewell Lane and into town. The average speed being in excess of 45 MPH, with the occasional idiot at 3 times the legal limit. It is just over 3 years ago that we had a car in our front garden at 5.45 in the morning, the following day there was speed camera set up, many tickets were issued to drivers travelling in both directions, there has not been a repeat camera since then. The Police rarely enter this area and we now have cracks appearing in our home. The noise is horrific from 4.30 AM until about 11 PM, all windows facing the road have to remain closed, even in hot weather. Its isn't much fun living here any more.
When i attended Gisburn Rd juniors in the fifties, there was a Garage across the road. Many a time we went across at lunchtime to view the wrecked cars which had been towed in, some where bent beyond recognition, there footwells full of blood, and the dashboard strewn with broken teeth. Fast cars and slow brains were a problem then, nothing has changed except our tollerance.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Ride with Brad:

Over 600 cyclists so far signed up to do the ride. That doesn't count hangers on or spectators
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The head of Coates school is standing down.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tardis wrote:The head of Coates school is standing down.
He already has, he finished last week.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

There has been a lot of fuss about women on British banknotes in the last few days, and much celebration by feminists on the news that Jane Austen's face is to appear on the next 10 pound note - replacing Charles Darwin. I've never done this before, but last night I took a close look at the current fiver - and guess how many women are pictured on it.

Actually there are fifteen women portrayed, including QEII, and Ms Fry is shown twice. Is she on because she invented chocolate? I do hope so. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A comment on an aspect of these forums that I hadn't noticed before...
When I'm logged in, the portal page shows all the forum topics, through the Hobbies, What's Happening Locally, Ministry of Defence etc, down to Site Features. When I view this page as a guest (i.e. logged out) it shows only as far as the beginning of the Hobbies section then goes directly to something like 10 Most Viewed Topics without showing any of the other many forum topics. Is this intentional or is it a glitch in the forum's design? It means that anyone looking at OGFB for the first time and wondering whether to register as a new member doesn't get a proper impression of what's available. Also, any posts in those many topics not shown aren't going to be found by non-members, which limits the potential for extra input from outside. I've also mentioned in the past that having non-members see graphics replaced by a big "You do not have permission to view this" notice isn't going to encourage them to join.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Perhaps this is an example of Hutber's law?

Hutber's law states that "improvement means deterioration". It is founded on the cynical observation that a stated improvement actually hides a deterioration.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

To Cathy, yes I did, double Tot! To the rest ref: the speed of traffic through Barlick, I will have a go at this when I have completed my current task. Hartley, that was Gotts Garage, I too saw the wrecks, in the late 40s. Every British Banknote since the early 50s has had a woman on it, the Queen , God bless her.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, you are right in your comment that this version of the site has its deficiencies. These are a product of patching up the old code to keep us on line. All the effort at the moment is going into the development site which will replace this platform in the near future. Come to think I noticed a post by Pluggy but haven't read it yet, could be he's saying the same thing. Believe me, a lot of work is going on behind the scenes.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I do believe there's a lot of work going on to improve the site and that makes it a good time for us to flag up any concerns...better now, when solutions to those concerns can be integrated, than later after the work has been done. I've begun to feel that less active topics such as Winged Heroes have become redundant because they are not seen by most people visiting the site. Yes. I know that the Miscellaneous Chat topics are more popular but it seems that topics placed in other areas of the forum get lost quickly. Winged Heroes has seen posts by myself, Stanley and Panbiker and the odd one by others since this new forum started but that's all. No doubt people find the topic accidentally when doing a google search for something aeronautical but they're not likely to join and contribute when they see that red warning sign and can't find the topic again next time they look directly at the OG forums page. I'm not wanting to be unduly critical but simply want to point out a place where the forums could be improved during the present process....Onwards and upwards!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

All noted Tiz, I have long thought that the Misc Chat and Gossip is too broad ranging. Quite a few of the posts could have their own threads. Its an area being looked at along with all the other issues. Your comments are always valued.
Ian
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The vitriol on twitter about 'the bank notes'

from both sides

Apparently even the twitter management people had to protect their accounts because of all the abuse that they were receiving

I can't see how you can defend eitherside
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Is anyone else finding that when you get a copy of a key cut nowadays it doesn't work and you always have to take it back and get another one done?

Another thing we find now is that when we use builders' their mortar never seems to last as well as it used to do. You get capping stones on garden walls coming loose, mortar coming out of paving cracks etc.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, specify lime mortar instead of compo, that'll cure your problems. As for topics, some need massaging like Steeplejack's corner. Not like it used to be but my measure is the number of page views they get.
Alonso's comment after the Hungarian FP. When asked what he'd like for his birthday he replied "Someone else's car!" The bosses at Immola are not happy!

Beano was first published today in 1938..... It's two years younger than me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Tizer wrote:Is anyone else finding that when you get a copy of a key cut nowadays it doesn't work and you always have to take it back and get another one done?

Another thing we find now is that when we use builders' their mortar never seems to last as well as it used to do. You get capping stones on garden walls coming loose, mortar coming out of paving cracks etc.
Common problems these days, when ever I get a key cut I automatically give it a rub with a very fine file to take of the sharp edges, they always work then. The mortar problem is very common these days most young builders only know one mix three of sand and one of cement, and many as a cost saving measure go to four of sand.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

First thing this morning I texted the better half. It was most unusual of her not to have called the previous day to tell of her safe arrival in Devon, to my surprise as I pressed send it was followed by the chirrup of an arriving text, there was her phone laying on the hall table. The rest of this week will be very quiet now with no reminders about spraying Orchids or watering plants, or seeing to the dogs needs.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Having to abandon the pleasure of the front garden due to another outbreak of high speed tractors, moronic motorists and piece work HGV's on Satnav!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Factoid.
Here’s a word that has crept into use. The afternoon programme on radio 2 uses them to highlight some little known fact which may be true or totally fictitious. The general meaning is said to be an unsubstantiated fact, generally untrue, that if repeated enough becomes fact in itself. “The economy is on the road to recovery”. “People are feeling better off”. “Happiness is on the increase. Or the mantra that George Orwell wrote “Two legs good: four legs better”. I suspect we will be hearing a lot more “factoids” in the next two years.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Coolest night we have had for a while. Darkest morning as the days draw in. Winter approaches!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hang on, we have to fit Autumn in somewhere yet!
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

How pleasant it is to work with people who regardless of their political persuasions, or race, are able to work together to achieve something worthwhile for this town. Having just had a look at Politics Corner with its constant references to fringe media and republicanism, I am now even happier to be a Born and Bred Barlicker.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”