WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Thomo

Re: WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Post by Thomo »

The kittens are now one week old and are opening their eyes, there are also becoming mobile:-

Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A member attached this PS to his comments on another topic a couple of days ago "PS, I don't like Cats", probably the most childish thing I have ever seen on here. Several years ago, a young extended family member, a teenage girl told me that she hated cats, when asked why? she replied; "My Father hated cats". Some people do, and there are even more who do not like them. I have no quarrel with this as I do not particularly like dogs, but this stems from mistrust having been badly mauled by an alsatian when I was seven. For centuries, Cats have been both worshipped and vilified, and now sadly cats, and in particular family pets are easy targets for the mindless hooligan, the partner who wants to instill fear into his or her opposite number, and when the novelty wears off, a disposable item. In regard to the latter,this is where my Wife and I try to assist. I bear no ill feeling to the author of that PS, and should he ever need my help, I would do my best. We now only have one "chosen" cat and she will be 16 next Saturday, she is now rather frail and at times a source of worry, but still much loved. So why do we like Cats? They are non political and generally self maintaining, they do not have to be exercised on cold wet Winter days, and do not foul their environment, they are extremely intelligent, pleasing to the eye and playful. Many times people when visiting comment "it doesn't smell like you have so many" a situation that is not hard to achieve, and a benefit to both us and the cats. Watching little Rosie with her kittens is an absolute pleasure and she is doing a damn good job of the way in which she cares for them and keeps them spotlessly clean. They are doing fine and all have their eyes open and are responding well to a little gentle handling, shortly I hope to get individual pics of them which I will then post here. Our attitude towards Cats is not an obsession, it stems from a regard for them in the knowledge that their companionship outweighs the effort.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

" and do not foul their environment, "

No, they go next door. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Not ours Tripps, they come in to use their trays!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not generally, if they have the benefit of a litter tray.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I assume Tripps that you are the next door! Mankind in its collective infinite wisdom has decided that it is superior to all else. and that all other animals are not, yet we, humans and animals are all here on much the same ticket. If this wonderful planet and its multitude of diverse creatures face armageddon, it will be our fault, not theirs. If someones cat craps in your garden, its easier to blame the cat, so why not "Man up" and face the so-called owner. It is the so called owners that are the problem, and this does not just apply to cats. Where I live there are many dogs, most of their owners are responsible people and clean up after their pets. there are however others who look around, and if they think that they are not observed, move on and leave it. I have never had to clean up after someone else's cat, and I have never stepped in their leavings in the dark. Ours with the exception of a recently arrived male do not go beyond the garden, and even he comes in to use the tray. If that comment was intended to have a "Pop" at me through the "back door" like the PS, then I am disappointed as I thought that you were above that! We do our best in this area to alleviate such problems, it is not easy, but we "will" continue to give aid wherever we can!!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Don't go all serious on me Thomo - I did put a smile after the comment. It was just a general comment not aimed at anyone, directly or "through the back door. :smile:

This is a quote from Christopher Hitchens which I found amusing.....

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I was right then. you are above that, good. I confess I do not always notice smileys and such, so little time, so much to do, ah well!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Thomo wrote:A member attached this PS to his comments on another topic a couple of days ago "PS, I don't like Cats", probably the most childish thing I have ever seen on here.
That was me. The comment was made to prompt a reaction, which it has (albeit not immediately and on a different thread). Everyone has different opinions which, within reason, they are entitled to express on an open forum. If those opinions don't fit in with other people's views why are they subjected to insults? What happened to intelligent debate?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

You've just killed it!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Thomo wrote:You've just killed it!
You've answered one question...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

For goodness sake, I hope this backwards and forwards dialogue gets nipped in the bud. Least said, soonest mended. Please don't spoil this topic.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Yes, I agree with Cathy the topic is being spoilt by certain comments, and it damages the integrity of the whole OGFB website. :sad:
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Wev'e had a what I understand is a rather uncommon development here over the weekend. Rosie who is doing a fine job with her kittens started "calling" again last Friday, just 9 days after the kittens were born, she is back in season. I have spoken with our Vet this morning and she is going to see if there is anything that can be done to control Rosie's ardour without affecting the kittens. This condition could last up to a week, maybe longer, if there is no treatment, we are in for a fun time. Rosie has not been outside since her arrival here, and one thing is certain, she won't be, repeat performance not required. Fortunately our only male cat, Izzy is neutered, but confused!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Poor Izzy, the joys of Spring! Nice to hear the litter is doing OK Thomo.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The Vet is coming this afternoon to give Rosie a shot of something that will hopefully end her current problem without affecting her ability to feed the kittens, they will also be given a check over. It is fairly certain that the three tortoiseshells are females, the black and white we are not sure about, this we will know later. After the Vets visit, it is also the day for the big move for Rosie and kittens, from bedroom wardrobe to bay window in lounge, I will shortly be erecting the large cage lent to us by our son Simon, at 4' X 2.6' and 2.6' high, it will contain everything they need, and allow them to be seen by our other cats, and vice versa, without risk of aggressive contact. The kittens will be two weeks old tomorrow and now all have open eyes and are finding their feet, wobbly but becoming more mobile by the day. To give a measure of privacy, only the inboard side of the cage will be exposed, I will post some pics of all this later. This could be an interesting day, the only one of our cats to have seen the kittens yet is old Ellie, 16 on Saturday, she was given a quick look earlier whilst Rosie was in the kitchen.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The Vet has been, accompanied by the Nurse from the Craven RSPCA. The cage is in place and has been thoroughly inspected by the other residents, its new occupants will arrive in there shortly.

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

When we had our last lot of kittens, Alison chose names which suited their character - Hilary because it was the first to climb out of of their cardboard box, Indiana as it was the most adventurous. My nephew's lad dubbed one Jumping Jack (JJ) as it liked bouncing up and down on their trampoline.

On the day JJ got its name, we returned home to find that she'd broken her leg... after an appropriately large vets bill, JJ ended up living in a cage much like Peter's for several weeks whilst she healed. Her leg has been fine since, but I don't think she's ever forgiven us for keeping her penned up when she was young.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Won't be long now and you will be rescuing them from behind the radiator.... :laugh5:

You will be so sick of these kittens by the time they are weaned..
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

They'll use the tassels on the tiebacks to haul themselves up onto the window sill---oh the joys :laugh5:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I'm surprised to see that the connections along the bottom of your vertical drapes appear to be still intact, considering that cats love sunning themselves on window sills.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Naval discipline has for a long time been been a factor in this household, for both kids and cats, Love, Respect, Hygiene and guidance go a long way, and are not hard to achieve. It may sound hard, but it works. 2 more pics now, 1 yesterday after the move, and 2 this morning whilst mum was having a break. A degree of normality is returning to the household and it is great to be able to see what is happening without having to leave the room.

Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Wonderful pictures Thomo. Thanks for sharing with us all. :cool4:
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The kittens at two weeks old, in order of birth. 1st Poppy.

Next Cassie.

Then Lola.

Finally, Florence.

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

If I wasn't allergic to cats, I would pick Cassie. Love her colours.
Florence looks quite cross!

Return to “Animals and Pets”