Autumn 2014

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Autumn 2014

Post by Stanley »

Cool dry night and light rain kicked in just as I went out at 4AM. Steady gentle rain as I write and very little wind. Glass is down with a bump to 29" and the forecast is for a high chance of rain until 13:00 with a south/south west wind. It will be brighter after dinner and the wind will change to the east and get lighter. Expected high of 11C. Noticeable yesterday that there was very little flow at the Butts dam, we had much less rain on Saturday than was forecast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Warm ( T-shirts and shorts) but windy today...112kph winds for most of the day. Gusts sent the outdoor furniture flying, and we found ourselves rescuing a neighbours little dog which had somehow got out and was terribly distressed. ( he is safely back home now). We felt like cartoon characters battling the wind to get to him. Difficult to stand when the wind blew and we nearly fell on our faces during the split second lulls. Reports of much damage locally. When we were out there, I could quite understand how a piece of debri could come at you and slice one in half...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dangerous stuff Maz, especially in an urban environment with plenty of debris flying about.
No big winds in Barlick! Another very acceptable day yesterday and it's dry and reasonably calm this morning. Glass has dropped again to 28.7", looks as though the Atlantic low is firmly in charge now! Forecast is for the gentle east wind to swing round into the SW by dinnertime and that will bring in some showers perhaps during the afternoon. Heavy dew and mist at the moment and an expected high of only 9C. Leaves on trees are definitely turning now and if we have a sharp frost a lot will fall. Comfort food weather is coming!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry clear and cool outside at the moment. Glass is up slightly at 28.9". Forecast is for a mainly dry bright overcast day with a light East wind until early evening when the wind swings through south to SW and we will perhaps get some rain. Expected high of 11C. October weather! I had to take my torch with me yesterday to find Jack's deposits, a sure sign that Winter cometh!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

21C today, lovely. We have a Total Lunar Eclipse tonight, should get a good view as we have clear skies and it's a big moon too tonight.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I have to constantly remind myself that some posts are from outside Barlick's boundaries... raining here now...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in dead on time. Dry this morning and cool. Glass is down, almost at 28.5". Forecast is for a good chance of rain after a dry start until 8AM. Moderate south wind and an expected high of 12C. The Atlantic low has definitely got a good grip on us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool night and a bit of rain. Clear and fine this morning with just the occasional high cloud and a full moon. Glass is up again at 29". Forecast is similar to yesterday, generally bright until dinnertime and then a chance of a light shower into the evening. Moderate wind from Southerly quarters and an expected high of 13C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear as a bell at 4AM this morning with a brilliant moon. Glass is up at just over 29.1". Forecast is for a dry day with sunny intervals and a light west wind. Expected high of 12C. Autumnal but on the whole good settled weather. Long may it continue!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very similar to yesterday morning but mistier. Glass is still rising, almost on 29.4". Forecast is for a foggy start opening out into a bright day with a light wind mostly from around NE. Expected high of 12C so another nippy day but dry and bright. Again, good October weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have been having beautiful low to mid 20C's for a few days but tomorrow it's 17C and rain. Now just where is my umbrella and light jacket?? :smile:
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

A lovely autumn day - nice to be able to have windows & doors open.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a nice day as well Moh. It's nippy but dray this morning with occasional thin high cloud scudding across the moon from the East. Glass is down slightly on 29.1". Forecast is for an overcast day with a moderate East wind and a remote chance of a light shower after dinner. Expected high of 11C. Cooler than yesterday and not as sunny but still very acceptable weather for the middle of October!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

17C today and very nice, bit nippy this evening tho. We have been told to expect 35C by this time next week. Here we go... ... ... :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry this morning with what looks like high overcast in the dark. A brisk easterly wind but dry at the moment. That figures because the east is usually a dry quarter for us. Glass is steady on 29.1" and forecast is for a dry, overcast day with a constant brisk NE wind so expected high is only 11C. Not exciting but better than wind and rain. We are only two weeks off November which can be a cruel month.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a bit nippy in the wind and the forecast was accurate, overcast all day. Glass is down slightly at just below 29.1". Forecast is almost the same as yesterday but with slightly more chance of a light shower in the afternoon. Steady moderate East wind and an expected high of 12C. I think the weather is practising for November!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

High broken cloud at 04:00 this morning with a light wind. Glass is down at 28.9". Forecast is for a bright overcast day with a lighter East wind and perhaps an odd shower late on in the afternoon. Expected high of 14C because of the lighter wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was mild, clear as a bell and a light wind at 04:00 this morning. Just popped out and it's the same now. Glass is up slightly at 29" and the forecast is not available at the moment but it looks good so far!
09:00. Still no met office forecast.... We've had our walk and it is overcast but dry and mild. The light wind feels to be coming in from the South.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We are expecting 30C tomorrow which is pretty warm but not hot hot hot, even so some areas of SA have been alerted early in the season to fire danger because we are also expecting some high winds. We have already had some Community Fire Services putting out small fires and are expecting some lightning hits on Monday. Here we go...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As you'll remember Cathy, we may not get the warm weather you have but it's a lot less hazardous. It's very mild outside this morning, dry and a moderate Southerly wind. Glass is steady on 29". Met Office forecast is missing again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have a clear sky with a brilliant crescent moon, mild, dry and a moderate breeze. Glass is still steady on 29". The forecast is back with us this morning, bright overcast until dinnertime and a chance of a shower this afternoon. Moderate SW wind all day and an expected high of 14C. There are a lot of gale warnings on the Shipping Forecast this morning. It looks as though the weather patterns are wakening up after their quiet spell. More wind and rain next week?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

High cloud in what is otherwise a clear sky this morning. We had wind and rain last night, not severe wind but much more than we have had of late. The glass has gone up and is almost on 29.2" The forecast is for a cloudy day with a moderate west or south west wind and a high probability of rain almost all day until evening. Expected high of 11C. It looks as though we are escaping the worst of the rain at the moment. Outlook for the rest of the week at the moment is for more wind and rain.
07:40 and it's light enough to go for our walk but it's poring with rain. Question is do we bite the bullet and go for full wet weather gear or do we give it a few minutes to see what happens.... I think we'll give it 15 minutes....
08:30... Leaving it for a while was a good call, hardly raining at all. Butts Beck is running a banker, there must have been more rain than I thought in the night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

very strong (and noisy) winds last night, hoping to get a better nights sleep tonight, it reached 32C today. We have been spoilt of late with temps around low to mid 20's, it's been very easy to just accept and enjoy the day without thinking about the weather... but... i think the weather gods are a little upset and think that we have been taking the weather for granted... so tomorrow they are sending us 37C - 40C and just for good measure (to make their point) it will be windy as well! A cooler temp is then coming (29C) and we will bow to them once again.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're expecting wind as well Cathy but slightly cooler! At the moment we have light rain coming in on a blustery west wind with occasional bursts of heavier rain, Glass is well down at 28.6". Forecast is for it to be wet until early evening. West wind gusting to well over 40mph and an expected high of 11C which is what it is now but as the day wears on this will drop to as low as 6C. A cold wet nasty day if you have to be outside, November weather....
08:40. We have had our walk and I have done my Co-op shopping, all in fine weather, we missed the rain. Very blustery wind but nowhere near as bad as the horror stories on the news suggest. Mind you, I note that Calmac have cancelled some services on the West coast. It has to be bad at sea to stop them as I know to my cost! So it must be a bit more wild up there than it is with us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We had our shocker today. Tonight we are expecting a dry lightning storm (about 10pm to 2am) and hopefully 26c for Wednesday.

Return to “Seasons”