Autumn 2016

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Autumn 2016

Post by Cathy »

Very pleased to hear that Liz. Enjoy :)
It's been a doozy!!, SA will be remembering it for a very long time, we still have today to go, hopefully tomorrow we will have a calm day.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thinking about you Cathy.
Good day yesterday, breezy and a few very light showers. Dry at 21:00 last night, a brisk west wind and scattered cloud with the stars peeping though. Same this morning but clearer, no signs of the Aurora we are told is active. The glass is steady only fallen a touch to 1012mb. The forecast is for a mainly dry, bright, overcast day with a chance of light scattered showers almost any time after 09:00. One proper spell of rain forecast at 09:00. Generally cooler at 12C with a slightly moderated but still brisk SW wind all day. Tonight's low forecast to be 7C.
06:50. Back in the hutch after a walk through Valley Gardens and down to the butcher's. Light rain for a while from a sky that had broken cloud and stars peeping through. The wind wasn't evident but even so there was a chill in the air. I've seen worse.... it's October tomorrow.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Plenty of light scattered showers yesterday. At 21:00 last night it was dry, cool and scattered cloud. Same this morning, definitely colder. The glass is down to just below 1000mb. The forecast is for a dry and overcast day, we shall be lucky if we see the old currant bun! The wind is a steady moderate Easterly and the high will be 12C. The low tonight is forecast to be 5C, a bit cooler all round. How long until we have a frost?
06:45. Back to a warm house after a chilly walk. Heavy dew and a clearer sky than the forecast which leads me to think we might see more sun. It's a good job it's calm, if there was any wind chill it would be getting beyond Autumnal! I think it's colder than forecast because my breath was steaming. Looks as though it could be a good walking day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It appears that we are back to normal, fingers crossed, today we had a lovely warm clear Spring day with 19C. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Were having a lovely early Autumn day as well Cathy.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad to hear that Cathy.....
As Ian says we had a better day than forecast yesterday, plenty of sun. Last night at 21:00 we had a clear sky and it's the same this morning to press. A cooler night, glad the CH is on low. The glass is well up at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun and no rain in the forecast. The wind is a very light westerly and it's a chilly morning, about 5C, the same is forecast for tonight. The wind will swing through the north starting around 09:00 and will end up in the east tonight, never more than a light breeze. The forecast high is 13C but will feel more like 12C at best. Good October weather and the 5 day outlook is dry and perhaps a bit warmer at night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

We had 24C today. Yesterday in Melbourne we had the footy grand final. They reminded us that the previous year the temperature was 36C. I can't believe we had a temperature so high in September, how quickly we forget.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday! Clear sky at 21:00 and feeling cold. Same this morning. The glass is up yet again at just over 1020mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, a bright sunny dry day with a light to moderate east wind constant all day. The high will be 13C and a touch warmer tonight. This is good weather for October!
06:50. A cool but pleasant walk. Certainly colder than yesterday. High thin could coming in from the east. We shall have sun as soon as it rises far enough to reach Barlick!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Adelaide. We are now on Flood Watch, all that rain water making it's way down thru the hills. I live in a hills suburb which has built-in drains from each houseblock which then drains down the road gutters to the main storm-water drains so I am mostly fine.
But for those who live on the plains or more natural/rural areas near creeks or rivers, this is a worrying time.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're getting one thing after another Cathy! Next thing will be bush fires!
Another very acceptable day yesterday. More cloud last thing and early this morning but still quiet weather. The glass is up again at 1025mb, it's this high pressure system originating in Scandinavia that is shielding us from the Atlantic lows. The forecast is quite boring! Overcast all day, only a remote chance of a light shower. The wind is easterly, constant and slowly increasing from light to moderate as the day wears on. It will be warmer with a high of 15C and a low tonight of 10C. still very quiet weather......
06:50. The forecast has it right I think. The east wind is bring us the easterly weather, overcast. To the west it is brighter but it looks as though the wind will make sure we don't see that. Despite this it's a warmer morning and so a pleasant walk. Not bad for October! Noticeable that the amount of leaf fall is slowly increasing. One decent frost and Mark the sweeper will be busy in the town!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

High cloud, light wind and dry last night. This morning we have heavy broken cloud coming in on what seems to be a SSE light breeze. We've just had our walk and it was dry and pleasant but dark! The glass is up very slightly at 1027mb, a good sign. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with sunny spells, slight chance of a light shower any time now. (Dry as I write) The light but steadily increasing wind is around SE all day and will be fresh this evening. The high is forecast to be 14C with a low of 9C tonight. It's another very acceptable day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky last night with the odd cloud coming in from SSE. Same this morning I think but hard to see! Perhaps a bit more cloud. The glass is back a touch at 1025.5mb. The forecast is for a day of broken cloud with sunny intervals, slight chance of a light shower around 08:00, same as yesterday! The wind is a constant moderate easterly all day and the high is slightly lower at 13C, low of 9C during the night, same as last night. Another quiet, acceptable day.
07:00. Back from a pleasant walk with the sky clearing rapidly from the east. We could start the day with full sun!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nice sunny day yesterday. Last night it was dry but overcast with a SSE wind. First thing this morning the flags were wet, we had just had a shower, I have just poked my head out into the yard and it is still overcast but flags are drying out. The glass is down a touch at 1019mb but I note that the high pressure system over Scandinavia which has been so influential is still alive and well! The forecast is for a generally dull day hovering on the brink of a light shower most of the day. The wind is a moderate, steady easterly all day giving us a high of 13Cand a low tonight of 8C, a touch cooler under the influence of that high to the East. Still quiet weather, steady as she goes, not bad for October!
07:00. Back in the hutch. Overcast and light mizzle. Nothing to worry about....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can understand Wendy not knowing whether it was a wet day or they were simply immersed in cloud. Barlick was the same, long periods of light mizzle and overall very gloomy. Dry at 21:00 with a lot of cloud. 75% cloud first thing this morning but dry, same now as far as I can see. The glass is up slightly at just over 1021mb. The forecast is for a dry, brighter day with some sun. The light NE wind will be constant all day and give us a high of 13C, same as yesterday but tonight will be cooler with a low of 6C. In a word, it's October!
06:45. Back in after a pleasant walk on a dry morning with a clearing sky and heavy dew. Looks good. Light a lot sooner than yesterday. One thing I noticed is a sign in the window of Simply Wicked saying 'opening soon'. Another reincarnation? I hope they do better than they seem to have before.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nice day yesterday and the high pressure over Scandinavia is alive and well. This morning it was almost totally clear, dry and a touch cooler. The glass is up again at just below 1025mb. The forecast is for another pleasant day. Dry with sunny spells and no rain. The wind is a constant light Northerly and the high will be 12C and a low of 4C tonight, both a touch lower due to the wind. This cooler trend looks set to continue for at least three more days. Good October weather!
07:00. Back in after a brisk walk under clearing skies. Almost calm and a good job too because if there had been wind it would have been chilly! It's looking good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day yesterday! At 21:00 it was dry, almost calm, chilly and a mostly clear sky with scattered cloud, the stars were peeping through. It was the same first thing this morning but there appears to be more cloud at the moment. The glass is back slightly to 1023mb, the shipping forecast tells me that the high over Scandinavia is slowly failing. The forecast is almost a re-run of yesterday. A dry mainly overcast day but with spells of sunshine. Slightly cooler with a high of 11C under the influence of a mainly moderate NE wind all day. The low tonight is forecast at 6C. No complaints!
06:50. Back in after a pleasant and uneventful walk. Jack saw his mate the 3 legged cur bitch in Valley Gardens and for once, paid her some attention. It will have made her day. She's and old and infirm dog but her companion animal does a great job of caring for her. He wheels her home in a pram when she gets knackered! The sky is clearing over Barlick but to the East there is a thick bank of cloud with a ruler straight edge moving slowly down from the North so the sun may be late putting his hat on. Still good weather for October.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yet another good day yesterday. At 21:00 last night the wind was light, the sky clearing and it was cool. Same this morning but sky brilliantly clear first thing, I've just popped me head out and whilst still dry and calm there is overcast. The glass is back slightly to just over 1020mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with a slight chance of a light shower late morning. The wind starts light and gradually strengthens to a moderate NW by this evening. The high is forecast to be 11C and a low tonight of 7C. The high pressure over Scandinavia is still active and there will be no radical change for a few more days yet. Still good October weather!
06:45. Another pleasant walk. Some breaks in the overcast are coming through from the North but nothing significant. Up to press the forecast is spot on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More mizzle and light rain yesterday than the forecast suggested. Last night the sky was clearing at 21:00 and it was dry. This morning it was mostly clear, lots of brilliant stars. I've just had a look outside and like yesterday morning, it is overcast now. The glass is very slightly lower at just under 1020mb. The high pressure over Scandinavia is slowly dissipating and this is going to bring change as we lose its protection. I noticed flocks of crows flying about yesterday looking quite agitated, very often a sign that some wind is on the way. The same thing but with seagulls is even more indicative! The forecast is for a brighter day with sunny spells, one firm forecast (80%) of rain around 13:00. The moderate ENE wind will be steady all day, the high is forecast to be 12C and the low tonight as 7C. The West side of the country gets the best of the weather today, over on the East and South East they will have a cooler and wetter day. Four days to the next full moon.... could it herald a change yet again?
07:15. A very pleasant later walk in the first light of day. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Our luck continues! Another good day yesterday with only an occasional spell of mizzle. Plenty of sun. At 21:00 last night some stars were visible through broken cloud and it was dry. There has been a shower during the night but this morning first thing the flags were dry and there was plenty of clear sky between the broken clouds. As usual, there is what seems to be uniform overcast as I write. The high pressure over Scandinavia is persisting and dominating our Northern weather. The glass is back at 1014mb. The forecast promises us a cooler day that starts overcast, improves during the early morning giving us some sun but by mid-morning the rain affecting regions further south will reach us and will persist until mid-afternoon. There could be more rain late tonight. The constant light Easterly wind will be cooler and give us a high of 9C, the low tonight will be 7C, the outlook is for similar weather. There is a gradual change and once more I look at the moon. Could we see significant change in three days?
07:15. I was later out and while I got the benefit of more light, Jack got a bewildering selection of dogs strange to him.... Dog walkers tend to have strong routines... No problems of course except for one very attractive bitch who was definitely after something! I had to put Jack on the lead.... Just a slight mizzle starting now at 07:45 after we have been to the Co-op. The forecast was right.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day yesterday but a lot of cloud and mizzle. It was like that at 21:00 last night and this morning. I've just looked outside and it's drying up at the moment but looks like 100% overcast. The glass is down again at 1003.5mb, that high over Scandinavia must be failing us. The forecast couldn't be more simple, 100% overcast all day, no rain, no sun and a constant moderate east wind with a high of 11C and a low of 8C tonight.
06:45. An uneventful walk to the butcher's this morning apart from the fact that the overcast was holding daylight back. As I write this at 07:45 it is still dark enough for the sensor to trigger the light in the back yard so it's not simply my imagination! Still, we might as well get used to it..... we have six months of gloom to come! It will be December 22nd before the days start to lengthen..... Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was exactly as per the forecast, overcast all day with an occasional break but I never saw any sun. Same this morning and we have had our walk. Calm, overcast, dry and cool, I've seen worse! The Glass is down again at 998mb, I fear we are losing the benefits of the Scandinavian high and a change could be coming. Dead in line with the full moon tomorrow. The forecast is for as dry,brighter day with some sun. There will be a constant light SE breeze all day and the forecast high is 12C with a low tonight of 8C. According to the forecast we are being lucky, there is a lot of rain on the East side of the country. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nuite asut not bad. At 20:30 last night the sky was overcast and it was just starting to rain lightly. First thing this morning the sky was clear with a brilliant full moon. Same now a bit later but with a few wisps of high thin cloud. The glass is up slightly at 1002.5mb. The forecast is for a mixed day. Starts overcast and then a good chance of rain during the morning and brighter with sunny spells after dinnertime. The wind starts light in the east but as it strengthens to a moderate breeze after dinnertime it swings into the SE. High of 13C forecast and a low tonight of 9C.
06:45. A pleasant walk on a dry almost calm morning. The high cloud I noted earlier on has developed into broken overcast thick enough to obscure the brilliant full moon. I see there are some breaks developing in the East..... Still good weather for October.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:..thick enough to obscure the brilliant full moon.
See my post about tonight's `supermoon' in the Attention topic.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Nuite asut not bad", Not sure what happened there!
Yesterday was a damp day with less sun than they promised. At 21:00 last night we had high broken cloud following a shower. At 03:00 this morning it was just starting to rain and a bit breezier, I've just had a look outside and the flags are still dry so it was just a few spits to welcome me first thing.... The wind feels like a westerly but it's hard to tell in the swirl of the wind in the buildings when you can't see the cloud.... The glass has stirred upwards but not much, 1004mb. The forecast confirms my impression that the wind has changed. We are promised a day of broken cloud with spells of sun and rain on the wind. The wind will be a moderate SW all day and will make the high of 12C feel more like 7C. The low tonight will be 6C, quite a lot cooler and the outlook for tomorrow is even cooler. It's a change but a very quiet one.
06:50. There had been a light shower but we were lucky, it was fair if a trifle damp for our walk. A large brilliant moon highlighted the thin broken cloud scudding across from the SW, very dramatic. That wind is stronger up there than it is down here! Cool but not cold.... Tomorrow promises to have a bit more of a nip in it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do you know, I can't remember what the weather was like yesterday.... At 21:00 we had scattered cloud, stars peeping through and an East wind. This morning we have light rain and more wind. The glass is up again at 1007mb. The forecast is for a mixed day with just about everything. A spell of significant rain in the next two hours and another similar at dinnertime. In between, everything from light rain to full sun! The wind will be a constant brisk westerly and the theoretical high is 9C with a low tonight of 7C. The wind chill will make it feel more like 4C for much of the day. Cooler weather as we approach November.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”