Pothole Parade

David Whipp

Re: Pothole Parade

Post by David Whipp »

Has it been marked out for repair, Stanley?

Of several that I've reported, the only one I've seen marked up is the one at the crossroads of Station Road/Wellhouse Road with Fernlea Avenue.

(Much digging on pavement outside old Post Office building last night and a localised power cut by all accounts. Word is, they were digging down for a dropped 50p to put in the meter.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not that I can see....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I took note this morning. It hasn't been marked and has sunk about 3".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

David Whipp wrote:
What's actually been provided is a bus reversing area, which we were told was unsafe and not allowed with passengers on board.
Funny, I used to work in South Wales, one of our routes had two reverse manouvers on it, with passengers, double-runs to blind end as the roads trailed to footpaths over farms or up mountains. These were both OPO routes, I cannot remember when the last crew route which had a reverse at the terminus carried on when it went one person- the problem was that the old double deckers were shorter and most new single deckers at the time too long to make the turn, I think a revised terminal point was provided but I will have to see if anyone else kept records (the route was a sister company's and I didn't have details in the office)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

A couple of emails with good news from LCC in my inbox.

First one is from the area manager about the section of back Rainhall Road at the top of Ellis Street and Frank Street (a popular walking route to the post office).

We are going to plane off the existing tarmac down to the setts and relay the full length of the back street 26 to 42 Rainhall Rd but not the full width only from the natural stone kerb.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Second email from the street lighting section about the numerous rotten street sign posts reported in July.

Further to my e-mail on the 10th of July can I further update you on the sign pole replacements in Barnoldswick town centre. I am pleased to tell you that the work has begun and so far we have done the following;

S6-130 King street opposite Ridge street, pole installed but awaiting new electrical supply and new sign.

S6-54 Station road junction with Fernlea avenue, pole and sign installed but awaiting new electrical supply.

S6-03 Brook street, pole installed but awaiting new electrical supply and new sign.

S6-04 Brook street pole installed but awaiting new electrical supply and new sign.

S6-12 Newtown junction Market street pole installed and complete with sign but awaiting new electrical supply.

S6-15 Newtown junction Garden street pole installed and complete with sign but awaiting new electrical supply.

S6-47 Newtown junction with Station road, pole installed and complete with sign but awaiting new electrical supply.

Rainhall road outside 12, pole installed and complete with sign but awaiting new electrical supply.

The electrical connections which are being carried out by Northern power grid are scheduled to be started from week commencing the 18th of August (this coming Monday).

I will e-mail you with further information as the work progresses and also when the work is completed.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I see that Bleara Road is about to get some attention, which is good in a way but personally I would be inclined to dig bigger holes to try and slow some folk down! :grin:
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Sorry about that Wendy... you would get deeper holes if the road wasn't repaired...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, for years that was what they did at Carlisle where the A74 came in from the North. It was like a ploughed field!
Can anyone tell me why a large bollard has been put in the middle of the pavement in Church Street at the end of Brook Street? [Must do a pic....]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Stanley wrote:Can anyone tell me why a large bollard has been put in the middle of the pavement in Church Street at the end of Brook Street?
Vans turning off Church Street onto Brook Street regularly bash into the fascia above the doorway of Bodycare; shop asked LCC if they could prevent such vehicles from running over the pavement and causing damage. (Will have a look later today and see how sensible it is...)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here you are. It's an obstruction where it is. Should have been nearer the kerb I reckon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thanks Stanley.

Certainly looks that way...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two displaced kerb stones and a leaning bollard outside Majestic Discounts. Bollard not bad but kerbs definitely a trip hazard.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Ta - on the case...
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Took a few minutes away from the beach yesterday to check on the replacement street poles being installed.

This is one outside Wave of Nostalgia on Rainhall Road (doubt anyone will be nostalgic about the old pole that's to go!).

I was very please to see that this county council worker's headgear was like a pirates...

He told me one of the posts had been so bad, it broke and fell over as soon as they started digging round it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember when they started to design concrete poles to do just that if a car hit them.... In this case, years of dog pee I suspect.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The new posts have an extra coating where they go into the ground (and within range of dog pee).

Suspect the pee will prevail eventually...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pee always prevails.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed two days ago that the white lines delineating the repairs on Butts had faded. The same day the man who knows how to work the can of spray paint came round and they have all been renewed.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The planing machine was due in Barlick a couple of weeks ago - there are quite a few stretches of road that are going to be dealt with in West Craven. Fingers crossed, they'll all be done shortly...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The patches in Butts are planed out and ready for surfacing. The displaced kerbs in Albert Road have been reset. Impressive.... Keep up the good work.
Dis you see the latest edition of the Tory Rag? Banging on about lights on the motorway. I can't understand why there is all the fuss. We had headlights for use in the dark and drove accordingly....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I was at county hall yesterday morning; meeting with highway chiefs to discuss road repairs in Pendle. I managed to mention several areas that needed attention... and thank them for their effective action (after several years of asking) to replace the corroded street sign posts in Barlick town centre.

Also had a pop at the Tories about their hypocritical stance on the M65 lights.

Before the 2009 county elections, Labour voted to switch off the lights on the M65. During the elections that year, the Tories promised to reverse this decision.

But when the Conservatives got a majority on the county council, they promptly did a U-turn on the issue and retained the 'switch off' policy...

At this year's county budget meeting, Tory leader Geoff Driver and his group proposed street lighting budget cuts which would have seen up to half the street lights switched off in residential areas!

You couldn't make it up...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree. I can see why residential street lights are seen as more important but yet again, I can remember when it was default mode for them to be switched off at midnight. For various reasons we appear to have more fear of the dark than we used to....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

David Whipp wrote:The new posts have an extra coating where they go into the ground (and within range of dog pee)...
David, you're a marvellous source of information - I never knew the extent of a council's need to protect the `built environment' against the insidious effects of dog pee! Can the same coating be applied to trousers?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I guess so, but standing in hot bitumen after galvanising probably wouldn't do much for legs...

Return to “County Council”